ALH Stutter, CEL and Glowplug Light Flash P0216

Makerj101

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI ALH Silver 317,000mi
Hi all, I have a Jetta TDI wagon 2003 ALH with 317,000 miles. The engine is all original including injectors and injection pump and it runs beautifully, for the most part.

I have been battling a P0216 code for a couple of years now. I'll do some pocking around, open the lid on the injection pump, etc, and the code will stay away for a few thousand miles and then it'll randomly come back. Usually, it happens on the highway going around 55-65MPH and about half load. It'll shutter which to me means that it looses all power for about half a second then comes back. If I adjust the accelerator it will usually only shutter once and not throw the code. But if I maintain the accelerator position it will often shutter several times and then throw P0216 code.

I have a ScangGauge ii and notice that the ignition timing will go super high like 50 and jump around a lot. Usually, ignition timing varies between 0-15 or so. So I am guessing this problem has to do with the injection pump quantity adjuster, needle lift sensor or timing advance solenoid.

I have cleaned the filings from the infection pump quantity adjuster twice which made the code stay away for around 10k miles. I'm now getting the code almost every time I drive so I need to figure out what to do. New injectors? New pump? New timing advance solenoid? Maybe it's just time for nozzles? I'm going to test the resistance on injector #3 needle lift sensor and clean contacts when I get home.

How should I go about troubleshooting this? I am still getting great fuel economy. My lifetime average is 55MPGus so whatever this issue is it doesn't seem to be causing a huge ruckus. I have VCDS so I can check more details there.

Thank you in advance for all help and suggestions!
-Joachim

Gustav

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for the detailed description of this issue, Joachim. And for the links, BobnOH. I'm having the same issue, but at lower speeds, usually only at partial throttle as well. I do notice air bubbles in the clear fuel line from the filter to the pump, so I suspected that...Ross Tech also mentions that bubbles in the system can cause this code. Good tip on the possible wiring issue, though, will look into that as well.

The only thing I would add is that I've also checked the codes via a handheld VW scan tool (ECS brand, I think Schwaben, don't know how accurate it is), and get a DTC code of: Needle Lift Sensor (G80) implausible signal: P1246 intermittent. So that might be in line with your thinking, Joachim. My MPG have been dropping while this has been going on. Hopefully it's simple, like air in the system or the wiring. Don't wanna replace the injection pump!

If it makes sense, I can update any findings in this thread.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I thought those needle lift wire connectors were better than they actually are. I plugged it in, and got the flashing GP light and open or short to positive code. When I took it off, and re-installed it the issue and code went away. These beasties are way too old not to suspect foolish-but-simple wiring troubles. Unfortunately.

Douglas