Alh starts then stalls after 1-3seconds of running

Talon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2013 tdi sportwagen
Had some negative temperatures here and even though the fuel was treated I thought it may be jelling. Changed the fuel filter, filled it. No change in the start return to idle stumble then stall. Any suggestions? I'd say it sounds like a has motor being choked. Thanks in advance, God bless all of you in the new year.
Talon

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
First, is the key icon (immobilizer) in the instrument cluster lit?
If so, the cluster/key/immobilizer aren't properly communicating or aren't happy with it.
If no light then suggest going thru the "no start" sticky. Begin with checking to verify the ASV (anti-shudder valve) isn't stuck shut. If closes at shut down to reduce engine "shudder" by closing off the air intake.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
^ as Jetta wreck said. Or possibly....
Your sending unit/fuel pick-up, that is in your fuel tank, has a very small orifice that can and often will bridge/plug with debris, ice, and/or gelled fuel.
When this happens the vacuum greated by the inj pump trying to suck fuel will cause air to be sucked into the fuel system at the weakest link, usualy the thermo T at the filter. This all happens more easily in cold temps.
See....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRMTEAKsScE

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Does the behavior repeat? (Runs for 2 seconds, stalls, runs for 2 seconds, stalls, runs for 2 seconds, stalls) Would suggest the immo. or ASV.
If you have the clear section of fuel line, look for excess bubbles, a few bubbles is kind of normal with the engine doing what it's doing.

Talon

TDI
If I unplug the asv will it run? It apears while under the hood that the valve is open. Thanks again.

Talon

TDI
No immobilizer light. Yes the same thing each time runs for a second then when the Rach hits idle it stumbles and dies. Thanks again.

Talon

TDI
Unplugged the asv vacuum line and plugged it started right up. Thanks for the advice. God bless.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It's got a lever on it like an old carburetor. It gets a bit dirty up there, may be able to just work it loose or it might need cleaning or even repair.
Glad it's running!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
One winter I cleaned mine quickly by spraying brake cleaner on a shop rag and cleaned the entrance into the EGR valve to just past the plate.
Buys a bit of time.
With the car running, if you plug the line back in does the engine stall?
It shouldn't.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
With the car running, if you plug the line back in does the engine stall?
It shouldn't.
I concur. There is a reason it's shutting down and that root cause should be found. Has any work been done on the car recently?

Talon

TDI
No work done recently. I drove it about 200 miles and the last 10 or so I thought it was gelling up treated the fuel with a bit more antigell and spent a day searching for the issue, changed the fuel filter. I'll be trying a neighbors asv to see if it is the whole cause or part of it. Again thanks for the help. I live in the sticks so just getting a car to town is a pain if it is not running. God bless you all.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
When you take the ASV/EGR assembly off take a good look into the intake to get an idea of how gunked up it may be. Caution: not for the faint hearted. It can be pretty ugly and the worst of it you can't see from there either.
I well know the "out in the sticks" scenario. -26*F here again this morning. Thank goodness no mechanical issues (that I know of) at the moment and the fact some of the vehicles get a cold garage. The Suburban lost a battery suddenly the other morning away from home. That was fun in the cold.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Mine does the same thing, although the ASV is fine. Still a mystery to me, since it's done it for the last 12 winters.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Bad N239 (ASV solenoid)?

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Where are you in Wisconsin? I have Vagcom and could scan it for you if you are not too far away.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Probably bad N239, locked up open. As soon as you have vacuum since its open it pulls in the ASV and kills the engine.