ALH piston drawings / specs?

Figster

TDI
2002 TDI Golf
Does anyone have any specs on the ALH pistons? Specifically, compression height, bowl position (offset or on center?), piston pin offset, piston pin dia, bowl volume, etc...

I have a Volvo Penta MD1 boat engine (single cyl DI diesel, 7 HP) that needs a piston and it looks like the ALH piston @79.5mm dia will fit the bill in terms of bore diameter with a slight overbore on the jug. This is a rather low tech diesel, so if the 3 spray injector is located relatively close (doesn't have to be perfect) in relation to the bowl, I'd probably be in good shape.

I can get creative with a lathe, mill and TIG welder if needed, but if I have a piston that I can start with, it'd make life much easier than hogging one out of bar stock... :D

As I understand it, the ALH piston comes in two flavors, which I'm assuming is for different bowl locations or valve recesses. Anyone know the real reason?

Thanks,

Kevin

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Pistons are paired for valve clearances and oil spray nozzle cuts.

Remember, the cylinder head is flat, pistons protruding a tiny bit with a head gasket that gives about 0.030" so there is about 0.23 cubic inches there. With a 19.5:1 compression ratio and a 28.98 cubic inch displacement, the swirl chamber is about 1.25 cubic inches.

That is just a swag using what I know. Remember, the pistons have flycuts but the valves protrude a bit so that is a wash.

Last edited: