ALH MK4 ECU tune

ians_tdi

TDI
Mk4 Golf ALH TDI
Wondering what is a safe amount of horsepower/torque increase you can get from tuning your ecu. Was probably going to send it into Kerma. I already have upgraded injectors and plan on upgrading the turbo in the future.
Thanks

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Worry about your clutch 1st ! There is no max safe power, I can break an stock engine and gearbox in less than 50m if I really want ! I also can be considerate and not break anything at 350 bhp ! It’s all about mechanical sympathy and choosing carefully the ingredients in your power/economy recipe! Everything is a compromise so you gain something then you loose something!

ians_tdi

TDI
Mk4 Golf ALH TDI
I recently replaced my clutch 5k miles ago and my maintenance etc is always taken care of. I do plan on going to a stage 2 clutch when needed but I'm just curious what the stock parts can handle in terms of a ecu tune.

DCM1

TDI
2001 Jetta sedan 5 speed
Mechanical sympathy, there’s a good term. 😂

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
the stock clutch can't handle much.. pretty much any worthwhile nozzle/tune upgrade will slip it. you replaced stock clutch with a stock clutch? that would be a bummer.... :(

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Probably the stock clutch will be ok with 280-300nm, thing is any vag diesel can make that at about 1800rpms and keep it there till 3000-3500rpms ! It’s in this regime stock clutch like to slip and once glazed it’s game over ! Secret is torque capped at a safe limit and driving style with more revs-petrol engine like. As you done it already, budget for a replacement and change it asap- might be able to sell stock clutch to recover some costs ! I used sachs SRE with success although I had some 034 motorsport clutches with mixed results !