Alh into Trojan f26 boat!

Dieselram94

TDI
Trojan F26 boat
Hi everyone, I’m starting to get ready to replace a Chrysler 318 with a alh hooked to a Velvet Drive 1:1. I’m not looking for speed so much as I’m looking for efficient cruising for mid coast Maine. Does anyone know of a starter that will mount on the block instead of the transmission?

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Look for the starter and flywheel from a B5.5 Passat TDI (BHW). Thats mounted under the exhaust manifold and will fit an ALH fine. You'll probably want the pressed steel flange thing between engine and gearbox too, to get the bellhousing pattern.

Thinking about it, the dual mass flywheel might not be ideal for a marine application, but I think they did come in auto form so you could use the flex plate instead with a suitable adapter.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
From what I remember, the B5.5 starter still bolts to the transmission but at least it's on the correct side of the block and facing the right way

I'm attempting a similar swap replacing a 5.0 Mercruiser in a 20ft Wellcraft

Dieselram94

TDI
Trojan F26 boat
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into the Passat starter.

What are you doing for an adapter to the mercruiser?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I'm making a bellhousing adapter out of 3/4" aluminum to go from the VW to the smallblock chevy pattern. there are a couple of adapters already out there but I figured I'd try to make one before spending the $$ on an adapter plate.

Here's the guys that sell the adapters... It's a bit expensive but it would simplify things a bunch

http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/adapter/

Last edited: