ALH into a 63 DC.

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
Hello,

I am working on my personal/shops 63 doublecab. I have it mounted to the trans using a kennedy adapter. Working on a front engine mount/cradle.

Had a couple questions.

1. has anyone used the alh filter housing without a filter in the top and put a spin on filter on the bottom under the oil cooler, where the cap is in the stock position?

2. well maybe just that one for a minute..

thanks, I will put a couple pictures up later.

sal

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
The paper cartridge works great - way cleaner than a spin on filter that spews oil everywhere and less to throw out too.

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
I dont doubt it, however in a double cab there is a bed over top of the filter housing in its stock location, I only wanted to simplify my oil changes..

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
The later pick ups (T3) had an access hole above the engine. If you're restoring the truck anyway, why not add one?

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I dont doubt it, however in a double cab there is a bed over top of the filter housing in its stock location, I only wanted to simplify my oil changes..
I have a pump düse "ATJ" in my 1989 Syncro TriStar Double Cab - remove the engine cover and it's there - I think way simpler to do an oil change with the top loading filer than it is to crawl underneath and remove a can and get everything dirty.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You cannot access the filter easily on an ALH engine in a T1 Single Cab. There is no cover, there never was.

I would install a bypass (extra) oil filter, and maybe make it so that you needn't actually change the main filter for 30 to 50k miles or so, then when that time comes you can drop the engine? Kind of a pain, though. Since you cannot simply hang it down with the trans a few inches like you could on a T2 or T3.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I would think that if you could make a "dummy" filter for the stock filter housing (is one needed?) you could use the threaded pipe from a mk3 oil filter flange and hang the old style filter off the bottom.

-J

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
I would think that if you could make a "dummy" filter for the stock filter housing (is one needed?) you could use the threaded pipe from a mk3 oil filter flange and hang the old style filter off the bottom.

-J
this is my question, there is already that plate that allows the oil to circulate through the oil cooler, so I see no reason to not be able to have a spin on filter there, the question is can I i just leave the cartridge out of the "stock" location.. I want the truck to appear as stock as possible when it is not running, (minus the ride height and a few other small things)

I am trying to find an oil flow diagram, no luck yet.

next question, looking for an MTDI turbo, was thinking about a k03, since it should bolt to a 1z split manifold. I am going to run it non intercooled, so I will be only looking for 10-12 psi MAX.. Not trying to build a freak since this motor will already almost triple the stock torque of the factory motor. the trans has been rebuilt to help hold said power increases. I have used a few different mtdi turbos, but never for setups under 20psi. Can I use a k14/24 from a 1.6/2.5 td? aaz turbo?

thanks, again pictures will be coming soon, this forum needs TAPATALK. less picture moving for me..

sal

Hasenwerk

TDI
I didn't realize there is no cover on the T1. That would make it kinda tough!

The plastic cover on the bottom of the OE oil temperature "regulator" comes off. I have installed remote oil coolers in the past via a sandwich adapter, so can't see why you could install a remote oil filter assembly instead - just make sure the sandwich adapter doesn't have a thermostat!

Hasenwerk

TDI
As for the turbo. If you are running a VE pump m-TDI setup then the K14 frp, the AAZ would work just fine. I would run a ball and spring boost controller and set it up for what ever PSI you are looking for. I think stock is 0.7 bar for the waste gate so you might not even need to do anything extra.