ALH Intake Manifold

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Should the 6, 6 mm bolts have flat washers? Mine do, but in looking at the how-to's again, I don't see any washers.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Too late, installed with washers. I'm 95% sure that's right.

Did an impromptu intake cleaning today, my THIRD in this car, after all but one of the intake manifold bolts fell out sometime over the last 33,000 miles. I was trying to figure out why they fell out so posted.

Symptoms of leaking intake manifold were a very odd noise at >1/2 "throttle;" got lucky and in checking things over grabbed the intake manifold and found it loose. Wasn't until I came home today I realized that its was hanging by 1 bolt. Also rough shut downs as anti-shutter is thwarted by air flow around the intake.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I still think the engine had two sources of air...

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Too late, installed with washers. I'm 95% sure that's right.

Did an impromptu intake cleaning today, my THIRD in this car, after all but one of the intake manifold bolts fell out sometime over the last 33,000 miles. I was trying to figure out why they fell out so posted.

Symptoms of leaking intake manifold were a very odd noise at >1/2 "throttle;" got lucky and in checking things over grabbed the intake manifold and found it loose. Wasn't until I came home today I realized that its was hanging by 1 bolt. Also rough shut downs as anti-shutter is thwarted by air flow around the intake.
How tight did you have them when reinstalling? Did you use a hex wrench/bit or just german spec(goot'n'tite)?

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
How tight did you have them when reinstalling? Did you use a hex wrench/bit or just german spec(goot'n'tite)?
I honestly do not remember, but definitely good n' tight with a 6'' 3/8'' drive ratchet, it would be such a bear to try and use my torque wrench in those confines. It does appears I made the mistake of using a little anti-seize.

I'm thinking that if maybe just one came loose (could have even missed torquing one as I put them in by hand first), that could start it all with the increased vibe for the other five. I've also had a bad DMF until recently so I've had no shortage of vibes and, at idle, what I think may have been harmonic resonance. Add all of that to the oil leak from the VC, and I have plenty of explanations.

I know this isn't recommended, but this was such a pain to have to do around the holidays that I used a dab of blue locktite this time.

Last edited:

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I honestly do not remember, but definitely good n' tight with a 6'' 3/8'' drive ratchet, it would be such a bear to try and use my torque wrench in those confines. It does appears I made the mistake of using a little anti-seize.

I'm thinking that if maybe just one came loose (could have even missed torquing one as I put them in by hand first), that could start it all with the increased vibe for the other five. I've also had a bad DMF until recently so I've had no shortage of vibes and, at idle, what I think may have been harmonic resonance. Add all of that to the oil leak from the VC, and I have plenty of explanations.

I know this isn't recommended, but this was such a pain to have to do around the holidays that I used a dab of blue locktite this time.
Hmmm, I see. A few people said to put nothing on them, as they go in dry and by themselves. I don't think a small droplet of locktite would be a bad thing. I don't think I could get my torque wrench in there either to get the factory spec torque on those.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
This is disappointing. Multiple experts should be coming in this thread to tell you you're wrong.
I was hopeful as well, that is why I went back to the stock EGR adaptation value after intro of ULSD; I was trying to do something good for the air but this rate of build-up is unacceptable to me and I'll be adapting my EGR again using VCDS.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Hmmm, I see. A few people said to put nothing on them, as they go in dry and by themselves. I don't think a small droplet of locktite would be a bad thing. I don't think I could get my torque wrench in there either to get the factory spec torque on those.
Oh yes you can get a torque wrench on them -- EXCEPT ONE.

The last one on the driver side I can't get mine on (with my plethora of various flex-joints and similar.) The others, yes, and I torque 'em all except that last one. I put these in dry but do clean the threads and I've never had 'em come loose.

As for ULSD stopping the build-up, it doesn't in my car. I had to clean my intake this last summer and the previous time I did it was in '08 I believe, after the so-called "changeover" to all ULSD. It was badly plugged-up. I too had dropped the adaptation -- but put it back on after this experience!

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Oh yes you can get a torque wrench on them -- EXCEPT ONE.
I'm certainly going to try to get a torque wrench in there if I can.
My car is from Cali. I think they have more strict requirements for fuel and for emissions and such, it's still clogged up. ULSD or not, it's clogged up. All the stations Ive seen here are ULSD, so far.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
In the US all road fuel has been ULSD since '07 I believe -- federal law. Non-ULSD will damage or destroy emissions equipment on newer vehicles just like leaded gas does to catalytic converters.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
In the US all road fuel has been ULSD since '07 I believe -- federal law. Non-ULSD will damage or destroy emissions equipment on newer vehicles just like leaded gas does to catalytic converters.
You think mine ran a bit on the other stuff prior to the switch?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Mine definitely did for a number of years, and clogged on it too. After hearing all the folks saying that ULSD was supposed to stop the clogging I was quite-surprised to find that while it appears to have slowed it down some it certainly didn't stop it!

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Mine definitely did for a number of years, and clogged on it too. After hearing all the folks saying that ULSD was supposed to stop the clogging I was quite-surprised to find that while it appears to have slowed it down some it certainly didn't stop it!
I guess the only to find out for me is to get all the gunk out, and drive it a few more years.