ALH Injetor Pump Sound Deadening

kyle170

TDI
MK4 2002 ALH Sedan, B5.5 Passat Wagon TDI
I love the ALH's, super reliable and strong. So my qestion is if I can safley wrap the 4 exposed sides of the fuel pump with some kind of sound deadening material since its quite loud (its not too loud but would be nice if it were lowered a few DB's). Or at least build some kind of enclosure i can put over it. Has this been done before with any varying degrees of success?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If the pump is louder than the engine, something isn't right with it. Also, the pump might start building excessive heat if you put it in some sort of enclosure

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I hear the factory engine cover supposedly helps deaden sound a bit ... if not maybe some sound absorber can be added to it?

While not totally enclosing the pump itself , in theory it may still act to quiet things a bit and help with reflected sound waves?

I would like my car to be quieter too but admittedly got rid of the cover myself so I can see if leaks are happening (that is why I actually left it off after made a leak repair when I first got the car.

I have read / heard that some people have taken heat rated dynamat type products and wrapped engine oil pans etc to help quiet things down on diesels

Andrew

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
My experience comes from swapping around a collection of used IP's that I have amassed. Some are quiet and make no noise louder than the regular valve train noise and some are loud and sound like a bicycle with clothes pins and playing cards in the spokes.

Some people say to not worry about it, and some say the noise is an omen of impending doom. I don't know.
I was given an 11mm pump by an acquaintance that totaled his car and had had a new pump installed by a dealer 6 mos. earlier. He said the new pump solved his problems and he was happy with it.

I remember that it said on the pump that it had been re-manufactured in some eastern European country but I can't remember which country as I am writing this. I put that on my car and ran it for a week and it was LOUD. I put back my older and quiet pump

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If the advance mechanism isn’t backing off it will be loud. Have you checked your timing with vcds? Maybe do a diesel purge on it. I would agree with what Nero says

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
noisy pump=broken pump. As for engine covers they really only reduce noise with the factory foam in place or an analog. Without the foam they can act as a speaker membrane and amplify sounds.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Noisy pump (clicky sounds) is bad. It needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

That said, the factory sound dampeners do work, they were put there for a reason. The underhood shield, the engine cover, and all the lower shields all work in concert to mitigate the engine noise. I like mine quiet, too.

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
I had some noise isolation material left over from lining the engine room on a sailboat. 1" Soundown brand, I lined the underside of the factory engine cover. Noticeable difference. May or may not be worth it to you. RT

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
What I was getting at was, are you sure it is the pump making the noise and not the noise of the engine running stuck in an advanced timing mode.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
or running rich for that matter.

kyle170

TDI
MK4 2002 ALH Sedan, B5.5 Passat Wagon TDI
I currently have an 11mm pump and my mechanic says it sounds healthy. I've also had a 10mm pump with the same volume. My mechanic works exclusively on VW diesel engines, and I trust his opinion. Nothing about it sounds worrying, its just louder than the rest of the engine components. Just wondering if anyone has created like a slide on non-contact enclosure to somewhat contain & dampen the noise. Theres a lot of extra free space around the IP. I dont run a engine cover nor under-hood padding since sound difference is pretty much the same tho I have nothing but good things to say about the underbody shield and engine side protectors (big sound difference)

Anyways, this setup is going to change soon as I've been bitten by the power bug... going to have a full engine and tranny built up to reach that juicy 240hp spot soon. Built block, ported head, custom GTB2056VKLR, DLC764-7hole (or R520's...unsure), etc... Probaby should create a thread for that build, ya?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I know some people put bed liner on the valve covers of their 7.3 powerstrokes to quiet them down a bit and swore it worked. The only thing that would suck is when you have to replace pump seals.