ALH/BHW Hybrid: Success!

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
First of all shoutout to jimbote and Trevor Morris on helping me with this build!

After several hours of set back we got this alh bhw hybrid going!

some issues:
-didn't realize there wasn't a hole for large roller had to tap and drill it

-pd150 tip kit had issues with fitment had to notch the bracket to the intake manifold

-had bhw oil pan all sealed but realized it was too long to fit my golf especially the skid plate. Had to swap alh pan and pickup tube. Originally had bhw pan with 1.8t pickup tube

-car was not starting. it would crank, start, then die. Found out that it was a vacuum line that was shutting the asv thus killing the engine (help?)

- found a leak on 3rd injector at the T so we replaced it.

vnt 17 vs gtd1756vrk

But after 3 days it is finally finished!

setup:
gtd1756vrk
.260 injectors from xman
stage 2 frank06 cam
ported head and upgraded lifters
4 bar map
pd150 intake manifold
pd150 head bolts
pd150 tip kit
smic
bhw oil cooler
alh oil pump with brm chain and sprocket upgrade
upgraded upper and lower intercooler
3 inch exhaust
aeroexhaust xl (and still sounds mean)
tune from burpod
stage 3 valair clutch (chatter even with 21lb flywheel and heavier clutch feel)

future:
in-lift pump, just need wiring.

the only thing that bothers me is the new clutch I get grinding in reverse but goes away when going to 1st then reverse. It did not do this before. ***fixed it by aligning shift linkages 3/6***

other than getting used to clutch, it feels pretty good to ride :)

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I like the v-band on the turbo, so much better fitment and seal

Moparmax

TDI
2000 Jetta
How do the .260s and 1756 pair. I’m wanting to do something similar but flip flopping between turbos… I would like to get it perfect the first time. Lol

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Oooh cool! Jimbote did my auto to manual swap like thirteen years ago…??

please tell us how it spools. I’m betting it’s fine. I was very tempted but went with the 1752 as I wanted stock-like response around town.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
How do the .260s and 1756 pair. I’m wanting to do something similar but flip flopping between turbos… I would like to get it perfect the first time. Lol
it pairs well has some balls. it's currently on a safety tune that way I can breakin the cam

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Oooh cool! Jimbote did my auto to manual swap like thirteen years ago…??

please tell us how it spools. I’m betting it’s fine. I was very tempted but went with the 1752 as I wanted stock-like response around town.
response and pull feels like 15 but on a safety tune to make sure I breakin my cam . so full potential is yet to be unleashed

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Wow, very very nice! Here temptation is setting in again with the allure of a new turbo.

Last edited:

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI, 2X 01 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI,06 Jetta TDI.
Was the balance shaft removed with this build?
I am building 2 of these this year and hoping to get a little
bit of help, getting the parts together. So I know what is needed.
Thank you, Dan.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Was the balance shaft removed with this build?
I am building 2 of these this year and hoping to get a little
bit of help, getting the parts together. So I know what is needed.
Thank you, Dan.
yessir deleted the balance shaft module.

here is a general guide I had made using the knowledge I gained from jimbote and Trevor Morris.

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI, 2X 01 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI,06 Jetta TDI.
I would like to say thank you. Thank you. Access Denied. Is the message I get.
I would like to see where the Large pulley was drilled and taped. Balance delete parts, and chain pump combo.
Cylinder Gasket(ALH), Head studs, and gaskets used.
Gladly say it again, Thank you, for any help.
Dan

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I would like to say thank you. Thank you. Access Denied. Is the message I get.
I would like to see where the Large pulley was drilled and taped. Balance delete parts, and chain pump combo.
Cylinder Gasket(ALH), Head studs, and gaskets used.
Gladly say it again, Thank you, for any help.
Dan
just updated access sorry didn't realize it was restricted.
The large pulley was a tricky one as we had to go a little higher. As long as you have adequate tension it should be good.
the guide has all the info on what parts to get and such as well as the brm upgrade.

for gasket use the bhw one and for head bolts I used shortened pd150 from darkside

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Now the next trick is going to be offset cutting a 51mm crank to gain 3mm of stroke and run the 48mm rods. 1.5mm shorter will be required... :)

The 3mm extra stroke is nearly worth as much as the 81mm bore...

Douglas

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Does it have to be a BHW or could you have used a BEW block and bottom end?
From what I was told the BEW pistons need valve reliefs flycut into the tops to prevent contact. Those BEW’s have a larger crank journal?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now the next trick is going to be offset cutting a 51mm crank to gain 3mm of stroke and run the 48mm rods. 1.5mm shorter will be required... :)

Douglas
If someone thought of it, somewhere someone did it

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf

Douglas
this would be interesting to do! I do have another bhw engine laying around aha. Cutting the crank would be the challenging part. With that 3mm extra stroke mean more power?

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon

Douglas
Is this info about the BEW block?
If we start talking about the BEW block in a BHW topic it gets confusing,.. for me.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
this would be interesting to do! I do have another bhw engine laying around aha. Cutting the crank would be the challenging part. With that 3mm extra stroke mean more power?
Cutting the crank is easy...getting rods 1.5mm shorter, not so much. More stroke means more displacement. I suspect boost and solid after-cooling will deliver that additional air mass easier.

BEW heads have their valves sunk further into the head and have no pockets in the pistons to clear the usual ARL/BHW/ALH stick-out. BEW head and BEW pistons are the mated pair of bits.

Douglas

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
So just from reading this thread, I'm assuming the bhw crank won't fit in an alh block, but I'm not understanding the reason if the main journals are the same size, and the rod journals arnt, couldn't you just use the bhw rods and have the cylinder bored for the larger pistons in am alh block, or am I missing something?

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So just from reading this thread, I'm assuming the bhw crank won't fit in an alh block, but I'm not understanding the reason of the main journals are the same size, and the rod journals arnt, couldn't you just use the bhw rods and have the cylinder bored for the larger pistons in am alh block, or am I missing something?
I think that is correct and the BEW has larger mains

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I think that is correct and the BEW has larger mains
Have to disagree; mains are the same across ALH/BEW/ARL/BHW...rod journals are either 48 or 51mm. As I hunt up an ARL/ASZ crank for its 51mm rod journals... :) Rod strength goes something like ALH>BEW>ARL>BHW. For stockers anyway... LOL

Douglas