ALH... bad injector? bent rod?

ksmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
I just bought a golf to use as a donor. It had symptoms of what I assume is a bad injector...

When I first started it, it had a dead miss, and whitish smoke out the tail pipe. I figured an injector was worn to the point where it was just dumping fuel non-stop.

I shut it off and talked with the seller for a few minutes. When he went to restart it so I could take a test drive, it turned over once and stopped, like it was hydrolocked... then he tried it again, and it fired up. On my test drive, after the car warmed up a bit, it seemed to smooth out somewhat.

My question is, how likely is it that that rod is bent? I'm hoping I can just replace injectors and go, but if there's a good chance that I need to replace a rod or four, I might as well do it now, while the engine is out.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Compression test will tell you what you need to know.

You should check the turbo piping for excess oil as well.

ksmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Yes, I'm wishing I would've compression tested it before I pulled the motor. Ugh

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Why did you pull the engine before any diagnostics. If the engine is out. Put it on an engine stand, pull the pan and profile the rods to see if they are all travelling the same distance