Alh 5sp injectors swaped into auto car

BOWZ

TDI
2001 5SP
Hey guys, Just picked up myself another project TDI. This one is a 01 Auto w/260k. Back story is Shop owner bought it to fix up and daily. Trans supposedly redone in the shop as they were putting a new head on it from timing belt snapping. Ended up having hard starts with lots of smoke tossed another pump in with same result. Lost interest and that's where my story starts.

After it fires, it will put out a smoke screen for less than a minute then go away and run just fine. I feel this is an injector sticking. I was wanting to replace my 01 5sp with some DLC1019 nozzles, this might have just bumped up that schedule. So question is can my larger .184 nozzles/injectors work in this auto that came with .158 nozzles/injectors from the factory. What will be the result, bump in power (even less time left for the auto) same MPG?

I rigged up a system to bypass everything from tank to pump to rule that out. Same thing. Have some Liqui Moly Diesel Purge coming in tomorrow that I plan on running through it. Still would love any input you guys have.

Thanks in advance guys. Here is the mintest 01 TDI in the rust belt...

Bowz

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Wonder if the shop checked out the pistons/rods after the carnage? Just slapping on a head isn't going to fix things if rods got bent. And bent rods = lowered compression = harder starting.

I put the injectors from my wife's 5spd (another set with DLC520s went in her car) in to the daughter's 01m wagon. It perked the wagon up. Don't recall it having much affect on smoke, but I ended up getting it tuned to ensure that it's optimized: it really hauls now, with only a stage 1 tune; just stomping down and not having to shift this car just cranks through the gears; it's got a slightly bigger turbo (100hp version- came that way from PO), so perhaps less smoke was because it's a slightly bigger turbo.

BOWZ

TDI
2001 5SP
Wonder if the shop checked out the pistons/rods after the carnage? Just slapping on a head isn't going to fix things if rods got bent. And bent rods = lowered compression = harder starting.

I put the injectors from my wife's 5spd (another set with DLC520s went in her car) in to the daughter's 01m wagon. It perked the wagon up. Don't recall it having much affect on smoke, but I ended up getting it tuned to ensure that it's optimized: it really hauls now, with only a stage 1 tune; just stomping down and not having to shift this car just cranks through the gears; it's got a slightly bigger turbo (100hp version- came that way from PO), so perhaps less smoke was because it's a slightly bigger turbo.
I'm not positive if they did or not, from talking to him it sounds like the shop didn't spare any money, it was the owners car and he wrenched on it when he had down time. They specialized in foreign cars (obviously not diesel). I did ask if they did a compression test(I was worried about washing out a cyl with the stuck inj) he said they also tested that and it was 425 +/- 5 across the board. I might just retest it to make sure, once it fires off though it will start again no problem and runs fine down the road. Thanks for the info on the swap, did you have to modify the #3 wire connection? I keep forgetting to compare mine, I've just read that they are different.

Check the timing.
I haven't plugged in my VCDS yet but owner did describe(I asked where it intersected on the screen) that the timming was slightly advanced after they installed the 2nd pump. Once again I will verify, I just want to keep run time down to a minimum.

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Compression test. Should have 450-550lbs on every cylinder. All numbers being pretty close..

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Compression test. Should have 450-550lbs on every cylinder. All numbers being pretty close..
At 425 +- 5 I'd think that it doesn't have bent rods.

From http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/how-to-do-compression-test-on-vw-audi-tdi-engine-results/

VW compression for all 1.9L diesel non pumpe duse (ALH AHU,1Z) and pumpe duse engines (BEW)
New: 363-450 psi
Minimum limit: 276 psi
Max difference between cylinders: 73 psi

Note - it's normal to get readings of up to 500-550 psi on a TDI engine, this is considered normal. The specs above are on a new engine, after the engine is broken in you may see higher compression. Keep in mind that high altitude will lower compression test readings.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
At 425 +- 5 I'd think that it doesn't have bent rods.

From http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/how-to-do-compression-test-on-vw-audi-tdi-engine-results/

VW compression for all 1.9L diesel non pumpe duse (ALH AHU,1Z) and pumpe duse engines (BEW)
New: 363-450 psi
Minimum limit: 276 psi
Max difference between cylinders: 73 psi

Note - it's normal to get readings of up to 500-550 psi on a TDI engine, this is considered normal. The specs above are on a new engine, after the engine is broken in you may see higher compression. Keep in mind that high altitude will lower compression test readings.
Although the spec'ed "minimum limit" is way too low.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Although the spec'ed "minimum limit" is way too low.
I totally agree. I'd never feel good about that kind of number. And, rather than a percentage difference they give a flat-rate of 73psi. If one had 349psi across all cylinders except one and that one is 276psi it is still considered in-spec. That's a 20% difference! I'd like to see VAG's engineering notes on this: are they figuring that the ECU is able to adjust for this?

BOWZ

TDI
2001 5SP
Picked up the Moli-lube today along with 4 new inj crush washers. ran the cleaner for the sake of it, noticed that the inj pump is leaking on the 2nd seal down, I'll have to read up on replacing that seal. One thing i did notice was how aerated the return fuel was. is this normal? crazy, it'll take 30 sec cranking with tons of smoke and once it fires runs just fine. my 5sp injectors from my other TDI will be going in this weekend if weather plays nice. Thanks for the heads up on compression guys.

Bowz

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is that inline filter on the right line? Never mind if this is just a close-up of how it's set up in in the first picture in this thread.

Can you identify what "Moli-lub" product you're using?

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I had the same thing in the return.
Car seemed a bit better, I was not impressed.
Ready to order injectors and want to do a purge first.

BOWZ

TDI
2001 5SP
Is that inline filter on the right line? Never mind if this is just a close-up of how it's set up in in the first picture in this thread.

Can you identify what "Moli-lub" product you're using?

It is there diesel purge. Filter is on the inlet.

Bowz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Lots of air in return line probably due to the leaking seal or a different air leak. The IP is a suction pump on the inlet portion and any leaks in the supply result in lots of air in the return.

BOWZ

TDI
2001 5SP
I'm getting a seal kit tonight, thanks for the input. Have my manual injectors swapped into the auto, freed up the stuck waste gate. took her out and she ran like a top. We will see tomorrow morning if the hard smoky starts are gone. I can't get pictures loaded right now but I'll toss up a video and a picture of the nasty injector tips that came out of the manual.

Bowz

BOWZ

TDI
2001 5SP
Adjusted timing. So far advanced it was off the screen. Changed the fuel filter. I'm pretty sure the date was from 2006. Still hard starting. Going to do pump seal job when the parts get in this week. After that I suppose it's either compression test or possibly fuel supply(tank pickup)

In the mean time got to cracking on the other TDI.

Bowz

BOWZ

TDI
2001 5SP
Just tried starting it with a clear return line. Entire time it wouldn't fire the line was empty. I think the pump is leaking down. Anything in the tank for a check valve?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
There is a check valve in the pickup that many drill out.
The Canada cars do not have it.