ALH 1.9 MK4 Cam shaft replacement. ONE damaged lifter?

Mk4tdi2022

TDI
Vw ALH MK4 TDI
Hi there I have a 150k mile ALH engine that developed a noisy tappet when it was 4k overdue for an oil change, an inspection has been done and there is slight damage to the cam and only one lifter, now if it had been caused by oil starvation I would expect all the tappets to be damaged but its just the one.... my worry is that whatever caused the tappet damage to occur is based in the bottom of the engine, does anyone have any idea why only one tappet would become damaged at 150k miles? I don't want to do a top engine rebuild only to find that it occurs again in 20k miles due to something in the bottom such as pistons. Is there any way I can check for issues while replacing the cam and lifters that would indicate it might happen again?

Another worry I have is that the metallic shearing won't be fully flushed and something might dislodge and cause more damage? Has anyone has any experience with noisy lifters and what may cause it? Thank-you

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It happens. Your filter would have caught anything that would be of concern. Just change your cam and all lifters and motor on. Has been done a million times for very similar cases. Just make sure you use the correct spec oil. That's what usually causes them to wear out, wrong spec oil.

Mk4tdi2022

TDI
Vw ALH MK4 TDI
It happens. Your filter would have caught anything that would be of concern. Just change your cam and all lifters and motor on. Has been done a million times for very similar cases. Just make sure you use the correct spec oil. That's what usually causes them to wear out, wrong spec oil.
Thanks for the reply, I plan on using 5w30 505 spec if that's correct, it was running 10w40 505 when the lifter started tapping 14k from last oil change

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Viscosity is debatable. Typically we're supposed to use 15w40, but it also depends on climate. You are correct with using 505.00, but you can use 505.01 as well.

Mpaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy 2005 1,9 105 ps; Polo 2015 90PS Bluemotion, T5 2.5 5cyl
If you use appropriate high quality oil and change it regularly, the biggest problem is FOD. And it's a pig...

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Thanks for the reply, I plan on using 5w30 505 spec if that's correct, it was running 10w40 505 when the lifter started tapping 14k from last oil change
TDI motor oil: