Alert! FRIED ECU!

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
This is critical: if you have an "R" program in your ECU, and you have been CHIPPED, the VW hesitation update will possibly FRY your ECU! Proof: a disabled B5 sitting at my dealer! :eek: Unless you ECU program is bone stock, you should either wait for more info on this , or restore you program to stock settings. Stay tuned for more (bad?) news...:(

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Wow! Sorry for your misfortune. Is this vehicle still under warranty? Are you gonna be screwed because you modded it?

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Does this apply to firmware 'chips' such as RocketChip or only those with a hardware chip modification?

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Jack,
No problem restoring this ecu on my hot bench. When another canbus module interrupts the obd2 port programming chat it can give 1 byte error so it won't run or reboot. The VW Obd2 programmer won't work next try since it can't handshake an ecu that won't boot - catch 22 problem with obd2 port programming! Most problems occur because of TCM comms from auto/dsg cars, and never with 5spds.

This is always a problem with port programming, this is exactly why I always prefer removing the ecu for programming. I can' send you a spare ecu if you like. Gotta love the dealerships!

I've also heard about vw mechanics were removing components during programming cuz they are in such a hurry and wonder why the ecu died. If you remove a device and it throws a cel during programming it interrupts programming and kills the ecu - hehe.

btw, I often get flaky/moody ecu's that won't program the 1st time. It may take 3-4 trys to get it to pop open. Often times I reduce the programmer voltage a bit and it works. It has NOTHING to do with the existing code/sw that's installed ie. oem or tuned! Remember, each time your programming fails your processor counter gives info = successful programming attempts, and unsuccessful attempts. I often get ecu's reading 9/0. That usually means another tuner tried 9 times unsucessfully to program an ecu! I also get alot of killed ecus to restore this way. I always return the programming counters to zero! You can see this in vagcom! (this post applies to newer PD TDI's w/edc16 only, not older rotary pump tdi's).

Jeff

Last edited:

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Thanks, Jeff

It wasn't my ECU that went belly-up, I was replying to the original post.

It does, however, sound like we should not permit the dealer to reflash our ECUs with the August Tech Bulletin for hesitation.

Jack

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I did not get one, heck, I almost did not get the TSB performed because they were so mystified...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, this is old news to me. It was posted here several months ago about the reflash wiping out any aftermarket software.

My Passat runs perfect, always has, so no worries since I won't get any reflash.

Boosthund

Hi Jeff:
Wondering whether you're open this friday and have a slot for a chip upgrade to my 2005 passat TDI. I'll be in the Lancaster area and would be available early if you have an opening.
Thanks,
Paul V.

IrishFrank

Jeff

I have heard nothing but good things about rocket chip.

When will you be in Ireland next?:D