Ale tdi ?

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
AEL tdi ?

Hello, a friend called tonight for a German couple traveling in the US with a TDI powered Vanagon Syncro from Germany. They believe the engine is coming apart. It is either an ALE or AEL. Unfortunately they are about 5 hours away. So that I can have an idea if I can be of assistance, can someone tell me about this engine? What would it crossover to, incase it needs to be replaced? Any other info you can think of would be helpful. Thank you. Mark

Last edited:

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
From memory both of those engine codes exist. The AEL was a 5-cylinder found in mid-late 90's Audi's in Europe. The ALE should be physically identical to a 1Z or AHU, can't comment on the wiring or ECU coding though.

The AEL has different bore sizes, but I'm guessing a lot of other parts would be shared with the ALH or 1Z. If it is in fact an ALE, it should be easy to source anything.

I've been a broken down traveler in another country before and was amazed at the generosity of people when I was in need. If there is a specific part(s) needed, I'm sure the resources of this forum could get them back on the road in no time (especially around the holidays)! I'm sure I'm not the only one hoarding TDI parts "just in case"....

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Update: they finally got the pan off and have found that the crankshaft broke in half on the number 2 rod journal. He shut it off as soon as it started making noise. I know the proper way to repair it, but they may want to cut a few corners to get back on the road.

It is definitely and ALE 4 Cylinder. At a minimum, it needs a crankshaft and possibly a replacement connecting rod. It is possible to change the crank and leave the top end intact. Other than a crank replacement, it needs to come apart to do any more and so possibly a long block new or used makes more sense.

So, I ask the experts what TDI crank in the US market will swap in? Correct stroke etc. Also, I have read the early TDI cranks would smear the timing sprocket keyway. Any idea which style the ALE crank snout is? Also, which engine/longblock is a direct swap for the mounts, manifolds, turbo, oil filter etc? Thank you. mark

EDIT: are the ALE rod bolts TTY? If so, they would need to be replaced too.

Last edited:

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Thats a rare engine. Its listed for Golf, Jetta, Polo and Caddy from 96-01 but I could only find it in the Caddy Combiwagon (van). Its basically an AHU with ALH pistons and injectors. Crank, rods and head are shared with the AHU and 1Z, as is virtually everything else except the pump which is a different suffix.

I'd be inclined to just swap an AHU in to it for simplicity. There could be all sorts of other damage if the crank broke in half - was the cam still turning? Seems highly unlikely if it broke at a rod journal, in which case the whole motor is likely toast.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
I am not there to see it, but based on the description I got over the phone, the #2 rod journal is where the crank snapped in half. The connecting rod maintained the two halves of the crank, so maybe the top end was spared. Sort of risky, but when you are on the road, sometimes you need to take some chances. I am inclined to agree that a replacement engine would be the quickest. We deal with LKQ, I am guessing an early Passat and Jetta are where I would look for and AHU? Thank you for the information. Very helpful. mark

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Swap long blocks. If the crank broke there is a high likelyhood of the block being compromised. It would need to be magnifluxed and if it's coming out anyhow install another and drive on....

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
An AHU or 1Z would be the North American equivalent. Not sure if the ALE has a VNT turbo or not?

I'm 99% sure you'd need a AHU or 1Z crank, I think the ALH crank is a little longer to accommodate the in block water pump. The oil pump is driven off the ALH crank, instead of the 1Z/AHU intermediate shaft as well.

ALH, AHU and 1Z rods are interchangable. ALH and AHU pistons are the same, the 1Z pistons are dimensionally the same but the ring lands are slightly weaker.

I recall the best way to fix the crank/crank sprockets is by adding dowel pins.

Best of luck!

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Ok, I checked with LKQ our used parts supplier. They have none in their system. Who might have a long block available for shipping? Thank you. mark

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
That's pretty amazingly lucky if the rod held the crank together!

We have AHU and 1Z in Europe too. Not sure what the ALE is trying to achieve really - it doesn't seem any different to the AHU in terms of capability or output. It has the same wastegate turbo as the AHU and 1Z. Perhaps it was an eco version like the AHH?

100% it would need an AHU or 1Z crank Luke. You're right the ALH is longer because of the oil pump chain drive.

I'd still just put a good long-block in it instead of mucking about. You'll not get the rod out from the bottom, nor will the crank come out with the transmission attached, so it'll have to come out regardless. A motor swap is the quickest way back on the road, and probably the cheapest given the number of hours to inspect and rebuild. B4 Passat and 96> A3 Jetta as noted for an AHU. A 1Z would work too if an AHU isn't available - the only real difference is the pistons, and on a stock motor its probably not going to matter.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
^ I agree with Mogly. He could probably even get you an ALE, just to eliminate any chances of software issues.