Alabama to Jackson, Wyoming - South into Texas - then back to Alabama

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I posted last year about a cross country trip I took. I've done it again.
Mine is a 2011 VW Golf TDI (6MT). Left from Birmingham and went through nashville, into Kentucky, slipped through Southern Illinois and took a left in Iowa (west) through S. Nebraska, through Wyoming, into the Jackson/Teton area.

What a great trip. I do what I call scenic cruising averaging around 59-60 mpg or so. No scheduled destinations so there's no need for excessive speed. I find, generally, that 59 mph is what I call my "parity speed" - at 59 mph I get 59 mpg. Some days though I got more than 60 mpg - this even when driving over mountains. Coming down hills in gear completely cuts off the fuel and mpg listed skyrockets.
Last year on a nationwide road trip my car was still low mileage and not broken in. For that trip - 54-55 mpg. So I was even happier this year with around 60 overall.
There was little need for air conditioning on this trip. Used it less than 20% of the time. I use an additive. Tires inflated to 10% under maximum recommended.

I like mountains but especially enjoy the vast open plains of southern Wyoming and Colorado. Pictures don't do justice - so I quit trying.
Overall, the roads were very good and at around 60 mpg my Golf is effortlessly purring along.

The trip back was essentially due South from Jackson, Wyoming, ultimately taking a "left" (East) at Amarillo. I ran into some of those serious rains east of Amarillo that came down from Colorado. The rain washed off some of the bugs from the grill. Its interesting because you can see them coming for miles.
Kinda' shoulda' gone through the panhandle of Oklahoma. Its a beautiful area.
I enjoy getting into conversations with people in obscure places. Clayton, N.M. proved fruitful in this regard - they need to make changes away from corn, perhaps toward sorghum because of the astounding amount of water required for corn. In S. Colorado when I spoke with a farmer that works on of those large "ag circles." I never really knew what to call them.

Wonderful trip. I love the middle of no where feel. Sorry everyone missed it.
Onward!