Al GOre

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
Al Gore for nobel peace prize *** give the biggest hippocrite in the world a nobel peace prize??? NO WAY I feel a researcher for alternate energy woudl be much more legit then useless propaganda filled al gore of course thats just my opinion i could be wrong

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Well, Gore has mixed good global warming (GW) science with so-so politics and has not been very clear in differentiating the two. He has made those that are opposed to his economically unsound "solutions" to look like "deniers" (although many do but not all).

With his efforts and those of the opposition, the current administration's efforts to deal with climate control have been somewhat side-tracked. The truth about the US opposition to Kyoto never seems to come up in Gore's sermons nor does acknowledgment of alternative free-market friendly proposals sought by both Australia and the US.

So yes, he is a hypocrite and a political opportunist, or a well meaning dolt if that is what suits your fancy.

TM

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'm going to go ahead and declare that this thread has already s*** the bed, even before Tin Man entered. Antsrcool, you knew better, didn't you?

My take: Far Right and Far Left are both extremely dangerous. We need to fix the lobby problems in DC and get back to non-career, non-professional politicians. I've not yet decided who to support in 2008, but Ron Paul is looking better and better all the time.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I failed to mention that Gore's efforts have at least made GW more visible to the US public, even though the movie has been unavailable around here since its release.

And Blue Hen, are you referring to anything to the right of your own views as "far right?" As a libertarian, I consider myself squarely center right and close to but not exactly where Ron Paul seems to be. But if you want an effective leader that can get elected (meaning represents a plurality of voters), don't look there.

I'm beginning to believe that anything based on ideology, left or right, is useless. Has always been dangerous. Too bad Hollywood and major media don't see it that way (at least with their own ideology).

Cheers,

TM

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I have extracted this from today's Washington Post.

The former vice-president has won plaudits around the world for his work on global warming, publicized in a best-selling book, an Oscar-winning movie, Power Point lectures, and now the Nobel Peace Prize. By coincidence, the announcement of the Nobel coincided with the conclusion of a months-long court case in Britain examining whether An Inconvenient Truth can be shown to British school children. The judge ruled this week that the movie can be shown in classrooms, but only if accompanied by teacher guidance notes balancing Gore's "one-sided views."

After listening to government witnesses, environmental campaigners, and skeptics on global warming argue their case, the judge described Gore's film as "broadly accurate" in its presentation of climate change. At the same time he also listed nine significant errors in the movie which, he said, reflected a general context of "alarmism and exaggeration" surrounding climate change.

The nine objections were as follows:
  1. Burton found that Gore's assertion of a rise in sea-levels caused by the melting of icebergs in Antarctica was overly "alarmist."
  2. Gore claimed that the disappearance of year-round snow from the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa was expressly attributable to global warming. The court was not convinced. According to Burton, the scientific "consensus" is that the reasons for the snow recession on Kilimanjaro cannot be established.
  3. Gore cited a scientific study showing that polar bears had drowned by "swimming long distances--up to 60 miles--to find the ice." Evidence backing up this claim was not produced to the British court. The judge wrote that the only scientific study shown to him indicated "that four polar bears have recently been found drowned because of a storm."
  4. Gore attributed Hurricane Katrina to global warming. The judge found that there was "insufficient evidence to show that."
  5. The Gore movie depicted the drying up of Lake Chad as a prime example of the effects of global warming. Expert testimony in front of the British court suggested that "far more likely causes" were "population increase, over-grazing, and regional climate variability."
  6. Gore suggested an "exact fit" between the rise in carbon dioxide levels and the rise in temperatures over a period of 650,000 years. According to the judge, scientists generally agree that there is "a connection," between the two phenomena, but claims of an "exact fit" cannot be established.
  7. An "Inconvenient Truth" claimed that low-lying inhabited Pacific atolls are already being "inundated because of anthropogenic global warming." The judge said that he found no evidence of any evacuation of population from the islands because of global warming.
  8. The movie suggested that global warming could shut down "the Ocean Conveyer," a process by which the Gulf Stream is carried over the North Atlantic to Western Europe. The judge cited a study by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which concluded that it was "very unlikely" that the Ocean Conveyer would be shut down completely, although it might slow down.
  9. Gore argued that coral reefs all over the world were bleaching because of global warming and other factors. The judge said that it was very difficult to separate out the impact of stresses on coral reefs caused by climate change and factors, such as over-fishing and pollution.
Personally, I take issue with the judge with 7, 8 and 9 but that's just my view from reading/watching recent science reports.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Nobel Peace Prize has more a political purpose than a scientific one. So it probably means Al did a good job in getting the public to pay attention to GW, nothing more.

I wish they would stop trying to nit pick and get on with talking about solutions. So what if there is an overpopulation of polar bears or that evidence of over-fishing also exists as a cause of GW. The basic physics is there and reality sucks.

But throwing money at it, leveraging entire economies for very suboptimal outcomes is not my idea of a good solution. Much much more needs to be done. As soon as both sides stop the bickering, we can go on. In this regard I find Mr. Gore's efforts to be a hindrance due to his obvious partisanship and not-so-obvious lack of objectivity in seeking solutions.

TM

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
DOnt get me wrong Gore has shown awareness HOwever I do feel that he shoudl practice what he preches and not have a 30k utility bill. Or drive a SUV. Perhaps he should advocate for diesel technology then hed be my hero. As far as i see it we do more actively in preventing harm then he does we just dont advocate....well i guess we do just not on a large scale.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Holy ****! Eastern USA is the new General Discussion Forum! AWESOME!

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Anyone corrolate Al's hot air with the average CO2 and global air temps? Coincidence that GW started when he entered politics?

rv6_flyer

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
daedalus said:
Yeah - this clearly belongs on the leftist coast forum
:)

Not all of us that live on the LEFT COAST are on the political left. :D

I was born and raised in Southwestern Pennsylvania. I only live and work in Los Angeles. If it were not for the money, I would not be living in the Peoples Republic of California. I think California is like a bowl of granola. It is filled with fruits, flakes, and nuts. Like I said above, I only live here. I am from Pennsylvania. ;)

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Tin Man said:
The Nobel Peace Prize has more a political purpose than a scientific one. So it probably means Al did a good job in getting the public to pay attention to GW, nothing more.
agreed. I am not an Al Gore fan, but he has successfully brought a lot of awareness to this issue and raised the level of discussion. Even if his information is not always correct, I support the activisim that he has put into it. And I do give him props for the line,"I'm Al Gore, the former Next President of the United States."