Aisin 09G in 2008 Jetta 2.5...Potential Problem

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Car has 98k on it. I changed the fluid at 55k. Has been flawless. Now on very cold days it is hard to get it to move in forward, moves fine in reverse. This behavior goes away after a "little while"...daughter has to explain what a little while is. This morning all the gear indicator lights were lit up when it was put in drive. That resolved itself too by shutting off and restarting the car. I hope to watch the behavior live on the phone during the next very cold start. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Generally, yes, but the earlier ones had valve body troubles a lot. Symptom is harsh (downright violent) shifts when warm. Often enough to make the tires screech during a shift. I've done a lot of them for that. There will be no DTCs or anything stored.

Also, many of these suffered the "lifetime fluid" nonsense, which VAG no longer pushes on the Aisins, so the fluid gets neglected which doesn't help matters any.

But the OP clearly has DTC(s) stored, as the indicator lighting up like that means as much. Can only guess as to what is happening. Solenoids occasionally (cannot buy these from Volkswagen, but you can find them in the aftermarket... it's essentially a Toyota transmission... sometimes you can even get solenoids from Toyota!).

Neglected batteries can gas all over and corrode out the gear indicator atop the transmission, and can also corrode out some of its connectors into the transmission itself, as well as missing splash shields.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Thank oilhammer. It was warmer today and it worked normally. I will get to scan it early next week or sooner and will check as much as I can in a dark parking lot. I'll add the info to this thread.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I scanned the car and no codes. Problem has not recurred. When it did happen it was a very cold morning, about 0 F. It has been warmer since. The tranmission module also had no codes. The below is from the vehicle scan.

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09G-927-750.clb
Part No SW: 09G 927 750 HE HW: 09G 927 750 HE
Component: AQ 250 6F 1090
Revision: 00H69000 Serial number:
Coding: 0000584
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 7BFE65953AD1FC55D7-802E

No fault code found.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It may have been some low voltage issue right after a cold start would be my guess. Not much you can do if the TCM didn't flag a DTC.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Thanks, it's working fine, so it's one of those "forget about it until it happens again" moments. When I get it back for the spring tire swap and service, I'll check the wiring you pointed out and clean up the connectors.

Last edited: