Airbag Warning/Failure - VW stumped for a week

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
Airbag Warning/Failure - VW stumped for a week- In loaner still

Just a courtesy post to fellow 15' Golf TDI drivers.
Noticed that airbag warning was showing that BOTH airbags were not working.
Took car in for 30k service, Inspection sticker, and troubleshoot.
Was told code showed I needed new passenger side seatbelt.
Loaner and 3 day wait for parts.
Work performed with new seatbelt installed. Same code error. Same light showing airbags not functioning.
Tech called VW and troubleshooted. They've never seen this. Determined I needed a new chip/sensor of some kind. 2 day wait. Still in loaner.
Just received call that sensor installed. Nothing fixed. Same error code and lights. Was told they are calling VW again. Car def not ready for couple days. Still in loaner.
This sucks. Dealership has been awesome. Service people great. Everything under warranty. But..Still. I hate not having my "new" car over something like this. Hope this does not portend of future issues. I will keep you updated and if anyone can compare stories or enlighten please do.

Mr.TDI

TDI
15 GSW
I had an airbag light after a subwoofer install. The dealer had to go in and recode via vag com as i was told and took about 40 minuets. They gave me the diagnosis print out... from my understanding because the installer had the key fob in the car while the battery was disconnected it caused a low voltage warning for my passenger airbag due to the fob attempting to communicate with the fob sensor. Dealer charged me 50$ and the installer reimbursed me. What you got sounds way worse at least something was done to cause my airbag light making it easy to troubleshoot and fix

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pillboxhat

TDI
Update: "Bad wiring" Ordering new wire harness for sensor in seat and seatbelt. Hope this is the fix.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
^ I was going to say, they already replaced the thing at one end of the wire, then the thing at the other end of the wire, must be the wire... LOL

pillboxhat

TDI
Haha. Makes sense.

Update: The dealership has been great but it's frustrating. VW says their are only 2 parts in the USA. One in NJ and one in Milwaukee. I have to wait for this wiring part to come in...Maybe 4 more days! So it's been about 10 days..Could be TWO weeks over this stupid little thing. Thinking about jumping ship from VW again after this:(

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Can they not use some VW "repair wires" and some butt splices temporarily to get you back on the road while they wait for the proper harness to come in?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Most automakers don't allow splice repairs to SRS harneses.

-J

Then why do so many of them have TSBs telling to to fix them that way? :p Not all do, but the ones that have chronic seat connection problems have you splice wires all the time, with approved crimp+heat shrink connectors, no solder.

pillboxhat

TDI
OK so situation resolved. And I have a feeling this may be important since I was told that what was wrong was not "caused" by anything I did or driving. So, it may end up being "a thing."

So there are apparently TWO sensors/igniters. One near the belt tensioner and at the other end of the seatbelt. And there is also a "plate" that covers one of the igniters. They had replaced only one igniter because they figured it was the only one.But the 15s are the only one that has TWO of these igniters. So. They replaced both igniters, the plate, and the wiring, and it is fixed. I'm sorry I could not be more detailed or precise in my wording but I was just so anxious to get my car I was starting to glaze over and do Homer Simpson thought bubble daydreams while the tech was explaining things. If needed I can go find the receipt out of my glove box and list the parts for anyone.

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
Interested in part #'s please. Our 'new' car is still in the shop with just 212 miles on the clock. Different issues but I need to cover all the bases. It's been over a week.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Sorry for digging up the dead, but figured its better than starting a new thread.

While not a TDI or a '15, it is a MBQ platform, our '17 Alltrack is back at the dealer for an occupant sensor error, this is the second time its back for the same error. Doesn't sound like the same issue the OP had but has the local shop stumped and regional tech will be inspecting it.

They asked the following

Has the seat ever been wet
Has anything hot ever been on the seat
Have I ever left a cellphone/lapto charging on the seat
Has a dog ever sat on the passenger seat (they noticed dog hair that migrated up front)

My answer to all questions were no.

Apparently the seat sensor doesn't like heat/odd pressure but is aware when the seat heaters are on.

Driving a Red 16 Sportwagen S. While it doesn't have a DSG, the slush box is pretty nice pick up and willingness to take a beating, it also spins the engine at 2000 rpm at 65MPH, vs 2000 RPM at 60 of the Alltrack.

Here are the codes I pulled

9445929 - Seat occupied recognition control module
B1022 29 [137] - Signal Implausible
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 6
Reset counter: 16
Mileage: 8358 km
Date: 2017.08.21
Time: 06:40:21

9577969 - Sensor Matt for Seat Occupied Detection
B1225 F1 [008] - Open Circuit in Shield Wire
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 4
Reset counter: 56
Mileage: 11337 km
Date: 2017.09.06
Time: 13:43:38

9573376 - Seat Occupant Detection Function Restriction due to Environmental Conditions
B1214 00 [137] - -
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 15
Reset counter: 16
Mileage: 8358 km
Date: 2017.08.21
Time: 06:40:16

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
This is the part where I make a grumpy boomer-style post about how technology is ruining cars.

Glad I got a baseline trim level MQB.