Airbag Malfunction Recall - 2010+ VW

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
7th VW: 2011 SportWagen TDI & 6th: 2000 Golf TDI
VW Driver Side Airbag Loss of Connection Recall

Still too early to find out if a specific vehicle is affected by the recall, but I'll be regularly checking mail as well VW's recall page or safercar.gov VIN search.

From NHTSA Campaign Number 15V-483:

Makes/Models/Model Years:
VOLKSWAGEN/CC/2010-2014
VOLKSWAGEN/EOS/2010-2013
VOLKSWAGEN/GOLF/2011-2014
VOLKSWAGEN/GTI/2011-2014
VOLKSWAGEN/JETTA/2010-2013
VOLKSWAGEN/PASSAT/2010-2014
VOLKSWAGEN/TIGUAN/2010-2014

Problem Description:
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain model year 2010-2014 Volkswagen CC, Passat, and Tiguan, 2010-2013 Eos and Jetta, 2011-2014 Golf and GTI, and 2011-2013 Jetta Sportwagen vehicles. In the affected vehicles, debris may contaminate the air bag clock spring, a spiral wound, flat cable that keeps the air bag powered while the steering wheel is being turned. This contamination may tear the cable and result in a loss of electrical connection to the driver's frontal air bag

Consequence:
A loss of electrical connection to the driver's frontal air bag will prevent the air bag from deploying in the event of a vehicle crash, increasing the risk of injury.

Remedy:
The remedy for this recall is still under development. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Volkswagen customer service at 1-800-822-8987.

From Consumerist:
NHTSA’s Office of Defect Investigation opened the probe [PDF] into the vehicles after receiving nine consumer complaints alleging airbag failures.

The consumer reports indicated that failures occurred during normal driving conditions and were sometimes accompanied by an audible noise from the steering column. In some cases, the airbag error light on the dash was activated.

“Upon pulling out of my driveway and turning the steering wheel there was a cracking noise and then the airbag light went off with an airbag warning,” one complaint from January 2015 reads. “At which point all mechanisms within the steering wheel stopped working.”

According to a chronology [PDF] filed with NHTSA, Volkswagen knew about the issue several years before NHTSA initiated its investigation.

The company received its first report of issues with the airbags back in December 2011. An initial evaluation in May 2012 found a low failure rate and no impact on vehicle safety.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I hadn't read through the recall yet and just assumed it was the same as all of the other airbag recalls right now. The one on my daughter's corolla made me laugh. In essence: "You passenger airbag is faulty and may result in shrapnel being deployed throughout the car. We have no idea on when parts will be available to replace it but for now, don't drive with anyone in the front seat." Easier for her since college starts today and she will probably do at least 75% of her commute by herself. Of course they could take her roommates car, but it also has the airbag recall.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
At least with the VW recall it is for inoperative air bags, not killer bags :)

105Uphill

Veteran Member
TDI
98 & 99.5 Jettas Black
I got an airbag recall for my 2006 Tundra.
The temporary fix is to not have a passenger in the front seat until they can come up with the fix.:eek:

texsize

TDI
2013 jetta DSG.
If the airbag does not deploy in an accident it could be a "killer".
I had an accident that the airbag came out, saved me from some serious damage (Isuzu Rodeo, totaled it ). I had some minor burns on my face and neck from the heat of the airbag. kinda like a bad sunburn.
I hope VW can come up with a fix. So far I have not had an airbag warning on my Jetta.
texsize

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I had the clock spring fail in my 2013 Golf TDI, two days before the recall was issued. The car was out of the bumper to bumper coverage and it was good-willed by VWoA.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
They probably knew about the recall and did the repair at that time rather than making you wait. You were probably better off since they had the spring in stock.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Still awaiting parts from Takata, as far as I know . . . much like many other brands . . .

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder if VW is sitting on this recall until they see how many diesels will get destroyed.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Doubtful . . . other companies that had bag recalls far prior to VW are still waiting on parts as well.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Has an actual recall been issued? I ask because my 2010 golf is not on that list, but I'm having clock spring issues.
Not sure on your VIN, but there is a separate recall for clock springs on certain models and there are parts available for them.

BTW the short answer for this problem is the cover/guard/seal wasn't good enough and crap got inside, causing the wire "ribbon" to break. Most cars get a clip on cover to help keep crap out. If there is a fault and the clock spring is at fault then you get a new one.

I had one lady with long hair and a CC that had her clock spring replaced 3 times before this recall. Every time we found hair wrapped up inside the clock spring. Of course it didn't help she kept her hair scrunchies on the turn signal stalk. But still, they should be better sealed than that.

Jason

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have the recall notice (not the actual recall) on my 2011 Golf but not on my 2010 JSW.

jimi179

TDI
1978 rabbit diesel, 2012 tdi golf buyback 12/29 done
i had the clock spring recall done last oil change... It took an adl 45 minutes

tonyfox1956

TDI
mk4 pd100 golf
air bag deploy.

being a newbe, I dont know how to post.

I have aq 2001 Golf mk4 and the passenger airbag suddenly deployed while starting the car stationary(obviously). Advise please on where to post and what to do? VW want the car taken to them and "checked over", at my expense !
Worried they will cover up an issue they alredy know about.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
being a newbe, I dont know how to post.

I have aq 2001 Golf mk4 and the passenger airbag suddenly deployed while starting the car stationary(obviously). Advise please on where to post and what to do? VW want the car taken to them and "checked over", at my expense !
Worried they will cover up an issue they alredy know about.
Well, to state the obvious - you posted this. But I assume you mean create a new thread to ask this question?

For an about 20 year old car I think we are starting to run into same issue as cell phones. They stopped being something you kept for a long time and turned into a disposable item you replace more regularly.

I believe owner's manual in US has an inspection at 10 years, then every year or two after that for safety/airbag systems. What we are really dealing with is nearly 20 year old computer, made cheaply enough for mass production, controlling explosives that must also remain stable, but also operable in an instant when needed. I wouldn't be surprised at how many cars will start being totaled/fail inspections for safety systems as they get older.

MOT do anything to actually check airbags?

Jason

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I don't know about the laws over there but I would doubt it is covered by VW. They will just want to replace it with a new one if one is even available anymore. It seems at least over here they are covered by the regular car warranty which certainly isn't nearly 20 years. Good luck with that. Shame an airbag will total a car. Seen it happen over here as well in small accidents that set off multiple air bags in a somewhat older car. The replacement cost for the airbags alone total the car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Years back, I was told that an airbag deployment ran about $1500 with no other damage included. That was part of the push to get airbags to fire only if the seat was occupied. I'm guessing that number is substantially higher these days.