Airbag Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphco

TDI
GOLF V
I have replace two AIRBAG ( LENKRAD - PASSENGER ) THREE mounth ago.

Sunday I had replace the Airbag Control Module ; but the light still is on my dashboard.

I know that I must change the CODING with VAG-COM (but I can't ! because my Hex-Can interface did not work anymore)

So I replace the OLD Airbag Control Module but when I try to reconnect it ....the two front AIRBAG EXPLODED!!!!!

Then I have to replace the two front airbag , I have two Airbag Control Module (the damaged one - a new one)

These are the error when the VAG working good.

Address 15: Airbags
Part No: 1K0 909 605 D
Component: 01 AIRBAG VW8 022 0600
Coding: 0012337
Shop #: WSC 01371
5 Faults Found
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
00654 - Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter; Driver Side (N153)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
00655 - Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter; Passenger Side (N154)
01588 - Igniter for Head-Airbag; Drivers Side (N251)
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Do you think I have to go to VW or I can try to fix ( with two new AIRBAG and a new AIRBAG MODULE )? :eek:

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
Did you replace the drivers and passenger sides airbags? I don't know what a 'lenkrad' is. You need to replaced both seat belt tensioners, thats probably why your light was on after replacing the module.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
I know that I must change the CODING with VAG-COM (but I can't ! because my Hex-Can interface did not work anymore)
If you had a real HEX+CAN from an authorized source, we would be happy to help you. But by your own admission via e-mail, you have some "third party" device which appears to be faulty.

-Uwe-

penclnck

graphco said:
Do you think I have to go to VW or I can try to fix ( with two new AIRBAG and a new AIRBAG MODULE )? :eek:
Yes, I think you should go to the dealer where there is a good chance they will have real deal HEX-CAN+USB cable and would be able to perform the repairs to your car.

It is of my opinion that you might be out of your element here and should stop why you are ahead (and still have your head on your shoulders).

gtalexad

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 ML 350 Bluetec, 2011 JSW TDI (sold), 2005.5 Jetta TDI (sold)
Matthew_S said:
Did you replace the drivers and passenger sides airbags? I don't know what a 'lenkrad' is. You need to replaced both seat belt tensioners, thats probably why your light was on after replacing the module.
A 'Lenkrad' (german) is a steering wheel.

Last edited:

graphco

TDI
GOLF V
penclnck said:
Yes, I think you should go to the dealer where there is a good chance they will have real deal HEX-CAN+USB cable and would be able to perform the repairs to your car.

It is of my opinion that you might be out of your element here and should stop why you are ahead (and still have your head on your shoulders).
I Know that you opinion Is right But I know also that VW replace me the AIRBAG (steering w. and passenger + Airbag module) with 2000 Euro !

They also sad me that the cable under the steering will be to chnge with a new one.

They sad me ( VW) that the other way to spend less money is this:

1. Obtain the 2 airbag (new) with INOVICE
2. Obtain the BArcode from the seller of this airbag

The procedure is this:

They send the BARCODE of the new airbag in Germany. After VW DE send
o code to Italy dealer and they proceed to install the Airbag

I have found the two airbag for 500 € ! (with Invoice naturally)

Cheer

:D

mario_renato

Veteran Member
Just one thing..

Did you disconect the batery when replacing the controller?

And the "told you so": You were warned that you were playing out of your league...

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Sebastian = Nostradamus?
Graphco = Sisyphus?

For a crime against the gods - the specifics of which are variously reported - he was condemned to an eternity at hard labor. And frustrating labor at that. For his assignment was to roll a great boulder to the top of a hill. Only every time Sisyphus, by the greatest of exertion and toil, attained the summit, the darn thing rolled back down again.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

penclnck

graphco said:
I think you say wrong

I konw much and much then you ever think ...MR SEBASTIAN..

ZWEI PIZZAS !
You may know more than Sebastian when it comes to underwater basket weaving... but you pretty much proved that you don't know more about airbag systems.

The greatest harm that can come to you (or your car) is for you to keep working on it. I'm not trying to be rude, but step back and take a look at what has happened to you.... you purchased a bootleg (worthless) cable that doesn't work and then you turned around deployed airbags. How much money have you saved so far doing your own repairs?

graphco

TDI
GOLF V
penclnck said:
You may know more than Sebastian when it comes to underwater basket weaving... but you pretty much proved that you don't know more about airbag systems.

The greatest harm that can come to you (or your car) is for you to keep working on it. I'm not trying to be rude, but step back and take a look at what has happened to you.... you purchased a bootleg (worthless) cable that doesn't work and then you turned around deployed airbags. How much money have you saved so far doing your own repairs?
Don't worry the money is always less than that one spend buy an original cable and original Airbag !

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Maybe If I try the easiest way to fix my problem
I did not get FUN as I got doing this job !

So if you think that the best way to fix problem is to go to a VW dealer

IS better that you close this forum!

:)

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Are airbags soemthing that must be replaced at interval or did these need replaced becaused they were deployed.

graphco

TDI
GOLF V
BrentB said:
Or maybe it would be better if your airbags didn't deploy when you really need them...
Or maybe it would be better that you are in front of me when the accident occour....:D:D:D

klufkee

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE :( 2002 Toyota MR2
Or maybe you should take your underwater basket weaving, cheap/broken/fake HEX+CAN interface using, airbag deploying, car breaking, death threatening, B!TCH A$$ SOMEWHERE ELSE!

"Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!"

It is rather unfortunate that my incredible command of the English language and exemplary insulting skills will most likely be lost on this poor excuse of a human.

Bill K.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
The responsible part of me says to lock this thread & ban graphco for displaying overwhelming stupidity. Just when I think that a person cannot do more damage to himself (financial & reputation), another story comes out.

This thread has all the makings of a classic and I don't want to cut this sad saga short too soon. We can use this thread as an example that some people should not use, own, drive, and definitely not work on cars. We have a real live candidate working towards a Darwin Award.

All we can do is wait. Shouldn't be too long. ;)

Last edited:

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
BKmetz said:
The responsible part of me says to lock this thread & ban graphco for displaying overwhelming stupidity. Just when I think that a person cannot do more damage to himself (financial & reputation), another story comes out.

This thread has all the makings of a classic and I don't want to cut this sad saga short too soon. We can use this thread as an example that some people should not use, own, drive, and definitely not work on cars. We have a real live candidate working towards a Darwin Award.

All we can do is wait. Shouldn't be too long. ;)
You know when a mod is getting in on the action that this thread is going to be a winner.

I'm guessing there's a graphco out there on airbagclub.com in the "repacking" forum asking: "What kind of explosive do I use to repack the blown airbags in my TDI?... it is sOOOO much cheaper to repack them yourself!

moondawg

penclnck

What happened to the other thread with Graphco about his airbags? That one was shaping up to be even better than this one.

In the end Graphco, it is your car, you can toss rocks at it for all we care. However, since you don't care about your own personal safety, what about the person who sits in the passenger seat? Are you willing to risk thier safety in order to save a little money?

Since you aren't qualified to do this kind of work, why stop there? Wife needs a cavity filled... hell, I'm sure you have a drill around the home somewhere, just drill out the cavity and put in some JB Weld!:D

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I'm nominating this guy to read "how to win friends and influence people" by dale carnegie... I'm sure they have properly translated it...

Please understand that everyone here told you not to do what you did... plug in the old controller. there are many... many... many other things that break in an airbag deployment, other than just the airbags...

I really do feel sorry for you, but please don't abuse the people on this board, they are some of the most helpful people on the planet...

bobpaul

TDI
sold :'( (formerly 2002 jetta tdi)
penclnck said:
Since you aren't qualified to do this kind of work, why stop there? Wife needs a cavity filled... hell, I'm sure you have a drill around the home somewhere, just drill out the cavity and put in some JB Weld!:D
:rolleyes: Don't be a schmuck. Everyone who knows anything about DIY Denstistry knows JB Weld is toxic! :D I'd recommend this instead.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
This makes me feel SOOOOO much better about my own, comparitively silly and petty, airbag problem.

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
graphco said:
So if you think that the best way to fix problem is to go to a VW dealer
No, I think the consensus is that the best way for YOU to fix YOUR problem is to go to a dealer. Using a hacked-together fake VAG-COM interface to do airbag repairs is just ASKING for a bag in the face. Or two.

I have a legit VAG-COM which I bought off a third-party who no longer owns a TDI. Guess what I did before I bought it? I READ THE SUPPORT info on Ross-Tech's website. Simply put: neither you nor I can expect support from Ross-Tech. All I need is to plunk down $99 for a license, and I'll get support*. I have no problem with this concept.

By the same token, if you buy an actual VAG-COM interface, you'll get support.

Until then, don't be surprised if your cheapness buys you exactly zero support from the very company that VAG-COM interface sales go to.

Oh yeah...and take it to the dealer. Sounds like YOU could use the help.

Mike

*If I read correctly. Please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, Uwe (or anyone else from Ross-Tech).

Status
Not open for further replies.