Air to water cooler.... why don't i see a lot?

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
So what he is saying is that the intake mifold that is bolted to the head heats up too much and in turn heats up the IC that is part of the I take now?

Were you able to cool the water down with a pump and heat exchanger?

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Water ice=air/water IC crack and leak, possible hydro lock!
Too cold air in TDI dont make power.
Dieseleux
Along these lines, I think one major improvement on an AWA setup would be running G12 mix instead of just water, if you expect to see sub-zero temps. Frozen intake air probably isn't the best for warm-up, but frozen AWA fluid could lead to burst intercooler cores (hydrolock risk!), burst tubing, destroyed circ. pump, etc.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I would think that radiant heat from the exhaust manifold/turbo would be heating your system more than the cylinder head. Shield you manifold and try a turbo wrap. More flow water flow through your chargecooler would also help.
You could also try a cooler thermostat for the engine.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
So I had a crazy thought the other day. For drag racing with an ice reservoir, a second air to water intercooler could be placed before the turbocharger. This would provide additional cooling to the less dense, higher velocity air and would also remove moisture from the charge. Just sharing a thought that others may be able to build off of.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
So I had a crazy thought the other day. For drag racing with an ice reservoir, a second air to water intercooler could be placed before the turbocharger. This would provide additional cooling to the less dense, higher velocity air and would also remove moisture from the charge. Just sharing a thought that others may be able to build off of.
How is it going to remove moisture? Yes, that's a trick question. BTW: do you own an impeller store?

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Please, no impeller jokes. Why are you trying to knock a new idea with no real contribution.
Moisture is going to condense on the 32 degF surface, and then it simply needs to be separated from the airflow. A quick change intercooler could be used and swapped for each run. How did VW resolve the issue with engines that were hydrolocking from frosting in the intercoolers up north? I am not going to look into how beneficial the idea is since I am not building a drag car and only sharing a thought for other people to ponder.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
On a drag car, you would use an ice box to cool the intercooler coolant instead of a radiator.. If you want it REALLY cold, you dump dry ice into it, but you'll need coolant that won't freeze LOL..

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
On a drag car, you would use an ice box to cool the intercooler coolant instead of a radiator.. If you want it REALLY cold, you dump dry ice into it, but you'll need coolant that won't freeze LOL..
Yeah, I was talking about using an ice reservoir. It was just an idea on taking an opportunity to cool the air to near freezing pre and post compressor.

Looking into cooling baths (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cooling_baths) is an option to get below freezing but I would think it would be higher maintenance with the chemicals.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Please, no impeller jokes. Why are you trying to knock a new idea with no real contribution.
Moisture is going to condense on the 32 degF surface, and then it simply needs to be separated from the airflow. A quick change intercooler could be used and swapped for each run. How did VW resolve the issue with engines that were hydrolocking from frosting in the intercoolers up north? I am not going to look into how beneficial the idea is since I am not building a drag car and only sharing a thought for other people to ponder.
The issue is that there is a pretty healthy airflow going through the duct. When the moisture condenses, it will not likely just sit there waiting for you to change out the IC, it will end up impinging on the impeller - causing pretty serious erosion. It COULD be separated from the airflow with an inertial separator, but that requires you to turn the airflow abruptly, losing a lot of energy.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Yeah, I was talking about using an ice reservoir. It was just an idea on taking an opportunity to cool the air to near freezing pre and post compressor.
Looking into cooling baths (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cooling_baths) is an option to get below freezing but I would think it would be higher maintenance with the chemicals.
Yep.. Ice box.. Spend a day or two at a dragstrip during the summer and you'll see a bunch..

ocshaman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So what he is saying is that the intake mifold that is bolted to the head heats up too much and in turn heats up the IC that is part of the I take now?

Were you able to cool the water down with a pump and heat exchanger?
Know it's been a while since you posted this, but the Grand Prix guys have m90 superchargers, and have started making ICs out of phenolic to keep the heat transfer down, and the weight as well.

Vekke

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A8 with 1.2 TDI VW Lupo 3L --> 2L (retired)
I started to build my first air to water intercooler which is integrated to intakemanifold. I using the VW 1.2 TSI unit which code is OE-03F145749B. Its perfect size for 1.2 or 1.4TDI engines. This first one only fits to Lupo 1.2 TDI, but the 1.4TDI is tighter in at least on Audi A2 where I will build one also. On the A2 I have 130 hp at the moment and IAT goes to 65-70 celsius on long accelerations with stock intercooler.

Benefits of the water to air cooler is less pressure drop at the intake air cooling --> turbo is stressed less and can make more boost and better engine efficiency

Lower intake air temperatures --> more power
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...Automobile-Engine.pdf?origin=publication_list

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I run two chinese air/water ics, one mashed in the intake manifold for the benefit of good charge distribution

Seems to work fine, with less packaging issues.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I just finished going through this super old thread. Wow, guys! I was not expecting this much salt, it's like the dead sea over here.
BUT! It's very educational and I can keep up without having to look up most of the words or needing a triple PHD.
How is everyone's progress(those who were building)? Have you ran it at the track and in a daily situation? Any winter issues?
Or is this just in the "abandoned" shed?

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I think, bottom line, a/w/a can be done, but it's more difficult to implement for the same results as an air/air. The only advantages are intake air flow is simplified, and heat exchange to a lower temperature than ambient if one uses ice. But that again depends on faithful implementation.

Whatever works for your vehicle and purpose.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Any winter issues?
you run a separate loop for the IC with a small radiator and pump. Mine are off the inverter cooling loop from a 1st gen prius that I found in the junkyard.

heavy trucks used to run their aftercoolers with engine coolant, but they're also moving 40k lbs around with a 200hp engine.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
BMW runs A/W intercoolers on gas engines -- M3 and M4 series--possibly others too. They are reasonably compact and serviceable for the heat exchange capacity they bring, from what I can tell.

So, OEM's do it successfully, but it's shied away from by DIY'ers and engine builders/tuners/racers for the added complexity. I guess OEM-grade heat exchangers have gotten a lot more reliable in the last fifteen years or so; hell, my 335d has an A/A intercooler, but it still has FIVE heat exchangers in the engine bay.

For niche builds like rear-engined water cooled (vanagons, etc), you almost have to use A/W (well not really, but it avoids many other headaches from what I've read).

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
BMW runs A/W intercoolers on gas engines -- M3 and M4 series--possibly others too. They are reasonably compact and serviceable for the heat exchange capacity they bring, from what I can tell.

So, OEM's do it successfully, but it's shied away from by DIY'ers and engine builders/tuners/racers for the added complexity. I guess OEM-grade heat exchangers have gotten a lot more reliable in the last fifteen years or so; hell, my 335d has an A/A intercooler, but it still has FIVE heat exchangers in the engine bay.

For niche builds like rear-engined water cooled (vanagons, etc), you almost have to use A/W (well not really, but it avoids many other headaches from what I've read).

what do they cool that water with? an add onto the radiator like they do a trans cooler or separate thing?

would a constant 190* intake air temp be good if it were cooled with engine coolant?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
would a constant 190* intake air temp be good if it were cooled with engine coolant?
medium and heavy duty trucks used to do it that way long ago, but they're pushing 40k lbs with a 200hp engine
meaning they're always in boost and IATs would be in the 300s without any sort of aftercooling

anything modern uses a separate loop