Air intake ?

Wickster

TDI
Golf SEL, manual
After looking around there are not many threads on this so wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with these products? And could put there opinion on which one would be worth the $$.

looking to get this along with the Kerma stage 1 tuning.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Kerma: worth every penny
air intake: waste

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Stock air filter has more than enough capacity, don't waste your money, spend it on the tune.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Drop in filter for the stock airbox if anything... anything else is a waste of money.
Even the K&N or other "oil" filters eventually seem to coat things up and create issues. Been there, drank the coolaid.

Love my tune tho... Didn't even make an issue for my Ca. Smog test.

Wickster

TDI
Golf SEL, manual
Even the K&N or other "oil" filters eventually seem to coat things up and create issues. Been there, drank the coolaid.

I’ve never had a bad experience with air intakes but the again I’ve never kept the car long enough to see the long term effects.With this TDI it’s different, as I intend to keep it for a very long time. I’ve heard a lot about intakes being bad but shocked that my rookies years I was fooled. Even though the turbo sounds great with that air intake.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I’ve never had a bad experience with air intakes but the again I’ve never kept the car long enough to see the long term effects.With this TDI it’s different, as I intend to keep it for a very long time. I’ve heard a lot about intakes being bad but shocked that my rookies years I was fooled. Even though the turbo sounds great with that air intake.
My sons went thru the fast n furious thing with Hondas... His "massive" intake became a huge water suction tube one rainy day when going thru a mud puddle. He left the side of his block and various pistons on the road. Ha... One can only laugh.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
All you need to know is here... https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/cold-air-intakes-and-high-flow-air-filter-faq.290373/

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I have the Neuspeed intake, looks just like the Injen SP. Got it on a small sale plus a discount code, was hoping for some nice noises and nothing more... can't even hear a difference unless the radio is off and I'm really listening for it. I also bought and installed the Neuspeed discharge damper (delete) at the same time, so what little noise I can hear might be from that.

I do have the Kerma tune, you won't be disappointed. But outside of aesthetics the intake was a waste, even for sweet sounds. Maybe removing the hood insulation would help, but I don't intend to try it.

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE w/ Lighting Package

I haven't ever use oiled filters. Use a dry filter like aFe Power Pro Dry S. I think Big Green filters are dry as well. There are a few options out there depending on the application. I take mine out once every 6 months, rinse one-way through with Simple Green and a hose, blow some compressed air through it and let it sit over night to dry. Done. Cars like these that are kept for extended time, 6-10 years and even longer, it makes financial sense to purchase a reusable filter, as long as you maintain it properly.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
My sons went thru the fast n furious thing with Hondas... His "massive" intake became a huge water suction tube one rainy day when going thru a mud puddle. He left the side of his block and various pistons on the road. Ha... One can only laugh.
Water is stronger than steel.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The folded paper standard filters do the job that they were intended to do, protect expensive engines from abrasive dirt and they actually filter dirt out better when they are a bit dirty. I never saw any power improvement from an aftermarket filter.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
As another data point..Darkside dyno'd a GTD with and without a filter at all and it made no difference. The limit on these motors isn't the air filter.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
malone and DPF delete will free up some flow