Air intake for a/c & ventilation system in car

Strack

Veteran Member
Does anyone know where the intake is for the ventilation system on a 06 A5 jetta? It's not under the dash by the foot wells?I want to spray some lysol cleaner into the ductwork and receiver to help eliminate the mold smell when I put the a/c on.

Thanks!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It seems like the blower and recirculation flap motor are behind the glove box.

Looks like it draws fresh air from the passenger side widnshield area. There is an air distribution housing that looks like it takes up alot of the center console area. Might be drawing recirculated air from down low in the center console.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
It's up under where the wipers are on the passenger side. IIRC, you have to remove some stuff to get to it.

And while you're at it, check the AC drain. It's probably blocked.

Strack

Veteran Member
Thanks all, but i'm not looking to replace the cabin filter. I'm looking for the intake to the cabin filter. Does anyone know where the air intake inside the A5 Jetts is located? I want to spray some lysol inside the system to help remove a slight mildew smell when I start up the a/c.

Thanks again!

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Locate cab filter, remove, pluem will go to blower motor/inside vents..

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Strack said:
Thanks all, but i'm not looking to replace the cabin filter. I'm looking for the intake to the cabin filter. Does anyone know where the air intake inside the A5 Jetts is located? I want to spray some lysol inside the system to help remove a slight mildew smell when I start up the a/c.

Thanks again!
It's up under where the wipers are on the passenger side. IIRC, you have to remove some stuff to get to it. Check the movie given above. Granted, it shows an A4, but the A5 isn't much different. Once you remove the filter, you can spray until you're heart's content.

Strack

Veteran Member
I removed the cabin filter and turned on the blower to see if it would draw air into the system, but no! Air comes gushing out of the filter housing, rather than going in, so this is not the intake. Should I spray some lysol in this region anyway? Will it get pulled over the receiver in hope of killing some mildew?? Thnx all!!

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
That's just not right. Don't think Lysol is the answeer to this problem.
You didn't have the recirculation button pushed did you? In normal mode air should be pulling down through the cabin filter. Simple as that.
Mildew in the AC system of any modern car is not normal. !!

You may want to have the dealer find the solution under warrnaty. Then an ozone machine is the only way I know of to kill mildew in the AC. You are way past a can of spray here.
Also if you've been running this car since new with the recirc button pushed in. Well you'll have a mess to clean up.

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
Long_Range said:
Mildew in the AC system of any modern car is not normal. !!
Every newish car I ride in smells like that, my 06 Jetta, friend's 06 Passat, girlfriend's 2007 FJ Cruiser, 2005 and 2006 Impalas at work, 2004 Jeep Liberty, etc.

One solution that allegedly works to prevent the mildew in the first place is to turn off the A/C compressor for a few minutes with the fan still on before shutting the vehicle off. I try to remember to do it but forgot sometimes.

Original poster- not much help but I was thinking of doing the same thing as you so hopefully this will get some more views.