Air Intake connection to radiator/grille

Travass

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Hi I’m new here and can’t find a thread or any pictures about this issue. The air intake has a connection to the radiator/grille but it seems to be missing something because it’s completely exposed to the heat of the engine. I’ll post some pictures of it. I can’t find anything in any diagram and the last mechanic I went to told me he would order the part, but acted like he didn’t know what I was talking about when I called a week later about it. I’ve looked at the air intake diagram and still can’t tell if it’s missing anything.

Please let me know if this is normal or if I’m missing a part.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Welcome! The top part with the cover is the ram air intake. It looks good, but it should seal all the way around where it is pressed into the air filter housing. Any additional air entering the engine is likely for cooling. I do see how it looks like there could be a piece that inserts. Maybe it is for something to block cold air in the winter, to warm up engine faster?

Grady

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta
Your air intake plenum is fine. Those gaps / seemingly missing pieces are there to provide an alternate air intake routing. If the forward intake behind the frill should become clogged with snow or other debris, the alternate path will pick up the slack. For those who remember the ALH snow screen intake tube, this serves the same purpose as the spring-loaded trap door.

Travass

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Your air intake plenum is fine. Those gaps / seemingly missing pieces are there to provide an alternate air intake routing. If the forward intake behind the frill should become clogged with snow or other debris, the alternate path will pick up the slack. For those who remember the ALH snow screen intake tube, this serves the same purpose as the spring-loaded trap door.
Awesome thank you! I’ve been concerned for no reason haha