Air fresheners?

NOLA_TDI

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a clue how to spruce up the funky smell that lingers inside my near 10 year old TDI? I really can't stand the air fresheners that you can purchase at Wal-Mart, unless you have a good suggestion. Those don't seem to last long at all.

Boy, do I wish this car still smelled like the day it came off the lot!!! :)

shegel

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta 2015 Passat
I was really happy with those little air de-ionizers you can get for like 10 bucks at autozone.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
NOLA_TDI said:
Does anyone have a clue how to spruce up the funky smell that lingers inside my near 10 year old TDI? I really can't stand the air fresheners that you can purchase at Wal-Mart, unless you have a good suggestion. Those don't seem to last long at all.

I believe they sell a new car smelling freshener.

greensideup

TDI
2009 jetta
Sprinkle baking soda around fabric and floor .Then deep vacum. Leave bakingsoda box open under seat.Check with a dealer I do believe there is a filter that should be changed.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
NOLA_TDI said:

Have you changed out the Cabin filter?

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
Remove the wiper arm's . Remove the Window rain cowling . Chances are there is enough leafs and compost in their to start a small garden . Vacuum all the stuff up . Remove or replace the cabin filter . Now with a bright lite check the cabin filter housing seal . Signs of water . If so you can remove the housing and apply a little ( Dirko) on seal and reinstall . Now you can re-assemble in reverse order . For a constant good smell you can hot glue a Dryer sheet to the top of the new cabin filter .
Have had a lot of stinky nasty cars over the years . Good luck ! R

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
We always used Ozium spray in the back of ambulances. Trust me, you can get a lot of really funky odors there! It seems to somehow neutralize the stink, not just cover it up. It does have a bit of a pefumey smell at first but when that dissipates the original offending smell is gone.

Phil_R

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI
Hunter's Specialties "Scent-A-Way" is good at both eleminating and preventing odors. Scent-A-Way is odorless itself, no perfume smell to irritate you. Available in the hunting section of my local Walmart... should find it nearly anywhere hunting supplies are sold.

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I have had good luck with ozium spray in rental cars with weird smells. For my car, it is not really old, and I have kept it clean during my ownership, so there aren't any bad smells inside. The single scent I like just to keep my car smelling nice is leather scent...you can get cheapo ones from Wal Mart or Autozone, but they don't smell like real leather. I use Yankee Candles Car Jars...more expensive, but they last longer and smell good.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Stuff a sock or fabric bag with some cedar shavings like they use for small animals. You can add some cedar oil to juice it up.