Air Filter Change

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
Any pictures or instruction out there on changing the air filter (engine). Not cabin filter. And the mileage for the change? B5.5 Passat

Blair

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Blair:

Here is my procedure.

Change it at 40K miles (or less if you feel like it). Remove the three or four screws at the front of the intake tubing (cross member) and pull off the intake and snow screen. Then unsnap the four clips that hold the top of the filter housing on. I believe you have to unsnap the electrical connector for the MAF. I actually pull the whole housing out and clean everything, but it is not necessary.

Once you start taking it apart, it will be obvious.

Here is some help: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=244064

Hope this helps,

Tony

Last edited:

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
Tony,

That did it....

thanks for the instructions

Blair

wrightg7

TDI
2005 Wagon
Got any tips on disconnecting the MAF connection on the air filter box? I've struggled with that every time I've changed the filter and have never been able to figure it out. It would make the filter change a lot easier.

Wizard

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Agreed. Even with the snow screen mod, it seems like all kinds of stuff gets in it.
Like this.....

Got any tips on disconnecting the MAF connection on the air filter box? I've struggled with that every time I've changed the filter and have never been able to figure it out. It would make the filter change a lot easier.
I just disconnect the hose from the airbox, don't like breaking the connection if I don't have to.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
if you lightly grease the outside of the connector where the tab is that catches the release tab, and push the connector together while releasing it, they don't stick as much that compresses the seal and relieves the tension on the catch.