Air Conditioning Performance on 2013 Passat TDI

Smaug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with DSG and Sunroof
Yeah, I don't find my AC to be all that powerful. I'll have to take the IR gun to the vents to measure the output.

Overall, I love the car. The Hankooks are not my favorite due to the noise, but love the torque.

BigNate

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
2013 SE TDI 6M... Phoenix...it gets hot here...

Took it back to the dealer last summer noting that "sometimes" it did not cool well but that messing with the temp dial would often cause it to recover and blow cold... They changed the compressor stating that it had a faulty sensor... Seemed reasonably well for the rest of the summer.

Fast forward a few months... Having what seems to be the same issue...but it feels like it blows colder on the passenger side than the drivers... I pick up a thermometer at a local HVAC shop... 40 degrees out of the passenger side register...55 - 60 degrees out of the middle registers ... 80 degrees from the drivers side register... Mess with the temp dial (up-down repeatedly) will sometimes drop temp on the drivers side by a few degrees... So will driving down our bumpy dirt road... I suspect that there is a door of some sort in the blending system not fully closing.. Unfortunately it is out of warranty (60k miles)...

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
You might want to check the cabin air filter. A friend of mine was complaining about his Jetta A/C's low air flow and icing. I pulled the old filter and it looked like a birds nest. Previous owner had never changed the filter.

Jmalibuss

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Big Nate, Did you get this resolved??? I have been searching the web for someone with the same issue. I have a 2013 Passat TDI SEL with the same exact problem!!! It has been in the dealer for 8 weeks!!!! They cannot fix it. Thank god it's under certified pre-owned warranty. I live in the lower desert of CA. It is routinely 110f+ out here from late June to September just as it gets in AZ I'm sure.
From 120 degree vent temperature the passenger side will blow 44f in about 10 mins the right middle vent gets to about 55, the left middle gets to about 65 and the far left vent only gets to about 85. Does anyone have any idea or has this problem been resolved? If so how?
VW north America has been hinting about buying back the car, but I'm an weary about going down that road. We love our car and want it back.
Thanks for any help.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
If it has been there that long I would insist on having my money back or the car fixed immediately!
I would also pay attention to the Delayed A/C thread on this forum.

Jmalibuss

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
We have a case open with VW now. They contacted us today and are supposed to "give us options" in the next 7-10 days.
A real disappointment. Hopefully we can stay with the VW brand. I can't see this being a reoccurring problem throughout the Passat line.
I will look at the delayed ac thread. Thanks

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The delayed A/C thread is a separate issue from what you're experiencing. Your problem is with the damper controls for heat mixing.

Jmalibuss

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
That's what I was thinking. The dealer has changed just about everything but the windshield, at least that's what they say. I have always done my own vehicle service / repairs / mods. Figures the one car I buy for the wife with a warranty is the one that has all the issues. :confused: