Air Conditioner is WEAK

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I wonder though if the "cool" cars have not been emission fixed yet?
My GSW(S) was New Old Stock (NOS) acquired 4/17 w/ about 190 miles on the clock "feels" cold, has air temp drop of -30F and out put in low 40sF. An emissions update sticker is in the engine compartment. So, I don't think that is it.

As I type this, it occurred to me that many of these cars were NOS sitting for 2 years in varied conditions. Others, the buy backs, may have had less then ideal scheduled maintenance. Add to that the typical dealership service department's demonstrated ability to overlook items and take short cuts. Many have questioned if their oil & fuel filters were changed. it would probably be wise to check the cabin air filters. A restrictive air filter can affect AC system performance.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Add to that the typical dealership service department's demonstrated ability to overlook items and take short cuts. Many have questioned if their oil & fuel filters were changed. it would probably be wise to check the cabin air filters. A restrictive air filter can affect AC system performance.
Thanks for the prompt, Bob. I got some reassurance as I just pulled my cabin air filter and saw that it was 1) Made in Germany (my GTI's came new with a Mexican filter and I'd assume the GSW's did too. and 2). That point is moot because the manufacture date is stamped right on the filter and it was 23.01.17, so I know it was changed.

That being said, first thing I did when I got home with mine from the showroom last month was dump the oil and change the oil filter. Waste of money? Probably. Cheap insurance? Definitely.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I tried doing the hot climate change but on VCDS the coding (07) is grayed out and not selectable. Am I forgetting or doing something wrong? 2015 Beetle tdi dsg.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Are you in the HVAC control module?

Are you using an official Ross-Tech VCDS cable?

seems odd. came right up using my GSW and my circa 2009 HEX-CAN USB..

I wonder if the Beetles are somehow different? you are the only active person on here with a 2015 beetle I am aware of.

Can you post your steps with screen shots?

you also might want to update your profile info under your user name to list your cars..

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I followed the steps posted here. Yes I am in the HVAC control module. I have an official cable from RT. I have an old 2003 New Beetle tdi 5 speed and this new 2015 Beetle tdi dsg. I noticed not much traffic in the 2015 Beetle section. I have been using my cable since 2006.

Instructions from the link above:

1) Open VCDS
2) Go To Select Modules
3) Under the "Installed Modules" window - select number 08 - Auto HVAC
4) After the control loads - select Coding - 07
5) Click the button for "Long Coding Helper"
6) Press Tab or arrow down key until you see "Byte 12" selected
7)Under the drop-down for "Bit 4-7" select "10 Temperature Adjustment: Cold (Hot Countires)"
8) In the top-left corner of the window - select the "Exit" menu item
9) Press the "Do It" button to save the new setting
10) If all goes well - you should see a popup "Coding Accepted"

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Is your RT Cable CAN Capable? the older cars like your 2003 NB used the HEX protocol, and back in the day you could buy just a HEX interface for cheaper than the HEX CAN interface..

grasping at straws here.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
maybe they knew people don't buy the beetle that live in hot climates, kinda odd.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Beetle's HVAC system is much more rudimentary than the Passats and Sportwagens. It's mostly manual with semi-automatic temperature control.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Correction.. the Beetle is like the Jetta, it's completely manual. The Golf's non climatronic option is Climatic, which has auto temp control.

-J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well there you have it. Nothing to adjust on a Beetle.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
so it seems that only the Golf & GSW can change their HVAC to hot climate mode based on the info shared by Compu_85 on here.

regular Jetta sedan & New Beetle - completely manual, no adjustment possible.

Golf & GSW - Climatic or Climatronic and can be adjusted to Hot climate

Passat??

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Passat has Climatic or Climatronic depending on trim level. Both are systems have adjustments available in VCDS.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Performed this change on the Alltrack this weekend was finally able to try it yesterday, it seems like at idle it keeps the compressor running where as i think it cut the compressor % under a certain RPMs.

I noticed at idle on a warm engine, the TSI was lumping along a little slower, but the air was still nice and cold.

It was 84 out but it was overcast, but I felt cool enough to turn the fan speed down from 2-3 on full cold to 1 and turn back the temp setting to slightly full cold.

Def felt cooler but the temps out the vent were still holding at 40F, once I was comforatable i dialed back the temp setting and the vent temp crept up to 55F, but I still "felt" cool.

On a 40 mile back country road trip of 40-55mph I netted the same MPG before the change, of 30MPG or so. Granted if you are doing more stop and go city driving, its bound to be a good hit.

I need 90F day with a heat soaked interior to really see feel a huge difference.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
40 degrees out of the vent would be great improvement for our cars. I did tint the wife's GSW and that has helped a lot. We will tint Dad's GSW also when time allows.

Great information on you car 740. I'm not wishing it on you but I am looking forward to hear how your car does does in the 90's

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Granted I was seeing 40F before the mod, but that was at a constant highish RPM such as highway speed after a bit.

I think from stock its coded for economy vs comfort.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I didn't measure before on my 15, but after setting the hot climate bit, on a 95*f day, recirculation off, going down the road I can make 34*f out of the evap according to vcds

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I didn't measure before on my 15, but after setting the hot climate bit, on a 95*f day, recirculation off, going down the road I can make 34*f out of the evap according to vcds

Thanks for the update. Up until last week I was satisfied with the AC output on my cat. Then, during a brutally hot, humid weather spell, in stop & go traffic w/ 3 persons in the car, I understood the need.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stop and go is where the hot climate will shine, it was 85 and sunny bit a bit of humidity yesterday when I left work with a fully heat soaked car. Drove to the bank which was 4 miles of stop lights, by the time I made it there, I was able to turn the fan down from 3 to 2 and the temp prob was showing 40f the entire time. Granted my MPG was about 15, but was able to get it back up to 27 by the time I made it home.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Sounds good to me. On a short trip like that your mpg wasn't going to shine regardless, and of course you can always shut the A/C and open the window when you want to.

Audiman

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, 2000, Silver
i've got a Golf MK4 TDI. For 10 years the airconditioning has been working excellent.
This year absolutely not cold air comes out. Looks like the refrigerant may have leaked out.

When I switch on the a/c I can hear the motor working, the fans rotate at the condenser.
I've read about dried seals. Has anyone got picture or locations of these seals.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
There's 2 on the pump, 2 @ the evap, and maybe a couple inline for the dryer?

2cent orings, Napa charges you $2, vw charges you $10.

The world is going down hill fast.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
There's 2 on the pump, 2 @ the evap, and maybe a couple inline for the dryer?

2cent orings, Napa charges you $2, vw charges you $10.

The world is going down hill fast.

As there is no big deal about A/C O-rings (on all make of cars) ---

O-rings cost little more than a cent or maybe a few cents wholesale

VeeDubTDI

TDI
i've got a Golf MK4 TDI. For 10 years the airconditioning has been working excellent.
This year absolutely not cold air comes out. Looks like the refrigerant may have leaked out.

When I switch on the a/c I can hear the motor working, the fans rotate at the condenser.
I've read about dried seals. Has anyone got picture or locations of these seals.
This thread is for cars 15 years newer than yours. I think you'll find several air conditioning threads for your car in the Mk4 section.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Any verdicts (or even postulations:D) on fuel economy impact of the Hot Country setting for those who have actually driven with it?

I rarely use A/C (yeah, I'm nuts), but I'm about to take a long road trip and will not subject my passengers (my two sons) to ambient summer temps while driving. So, I'm trying to decide if Normal A/C setting will be good enough if there is in fact a hit to mpg with the Hot Country setting. If no hit, then it'll be Hot Country all day long.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IMO, long highway runs won't really change MPG results with hot country setting, its the stop and go that will hit the MPGs. I'd do it if I were you.

I think VW stock profile of compressor usage is dependent on RPM speed, at say 2K rpm at 70MPH, it takes an additional 5% of fuel to run the compressor, but at idle running that compressor running full tilt prob takes 50% more fuel, so VW tried to dial back the duty cycle of the compressor when the rpms are under a certain value to gain an MPG or so.