Air Conditioner is WEAK

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Dad bought a '15 GSW last month and he is telling me the A/C is weak with output temperature in the 50's. I noticed that my GSW A/C is under-whelming also but I didn't check the temperature

Is there something going on because these cars sat for two years that the air conditioners are weak? Dad's car is at the dealership and they told him it needed a little refrigerant. When we get it back he'll check the output temperature again and I will update the thread.

Any thoughts appreciated

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
They're not ice cold especially when sitting, that's for sure. I'm curious if your dad gets an improvement by having it serviced. I believe these compressors are designed with some fuel economy in mind, they have an interesting design to keep drag on the belt system down. Coupled with the fact that we only have ONE cooling fan may have that effect on how cold they can be. To me, it works great on the highway but in traffic it seems to not do as well.

nordska

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6MT, 2002.5 Jetta Wagon ALH 5MT
My car sat for two years and has the same issue. I took it in to have it looked at on Thursday afternoon. Tech said it was low on R134; they recharged it. It is a little better but still not as cold as my ALH. Let me know what you find out.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Both of my '15s were purchased before the dieselgate, 50k and 60k miles on them. I don't think sitting for two years has anything to do with the issue

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Mine has worked fine in the three weeks I've owned it, though I rarely use A/C if I don't need it (under 90F degrees and humidity under 75%). I was blipping it on last Thursday on a road trip each time I went down a hill for maybe 20 seconds or so and it cooled the car right down each time. No issues.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I do not use my AC too much ~~ (2 year old 2015 Golf (S) DSG TDi

In town I just flip it on then off in a few seconds.

On road, mostly off. If temp is over 90, a little more used.

With thermostat set on high, (COOL) even the lowest speed is way to cold

Only wish it had "zone temp control" like wife's RAV4 Limited.

Just now learning to adjust thermostat, and then set speed on lowest.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
It sounds like mixed reviews on the A/C. I wonder if the people satisfied with the A/C have after market tinted windows?

Also, I wondered if sitting in the dealers lot for 2 years would hurt them because you are supposed to run the air periodically to lube the seals. Dried seals could lose refrigerant.

The car will be back on Tuesday and I will let you know what temperature Dad measures in the center vents.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. No consensus here yet, interesting

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It sounds like mixed reviews on the A/C. I wonder if the people satisfied with the A/C have after market tinted windows?

Also, I wondered if sitting in the dealers lot for 2 years would hurt them because you are supposed to run the air periodically to lube the seals. Dried seals could lose refrigerant.

The car will be back on Tuesday and I will let you know what temperature Dad measures in the center vents.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. No consensus here yet, interesting
Keep in mind my unit was bought back in 2015 (July) and in normal service, albeit, low mileage use.

I do not have tint. But wish I did. Not for heat build up, but for better vision.

On a Summer daily run, it starts out in the garage; so no heat problems. After sitting in the "parking lot" (shopping, etc.) it's HOT.

Enter car, lower 2 windows, -- air on high, 10-20 seconds -- close windows, good to go.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Our '15 Passat blows cold enough to keep the car cool when set to 72 fan on low. So not sure if the sitting for 2 years is the issue.

The Alltrack seems to struggle a little more (could also be due to solar gain as no tint as of now), but it doesn't have climatronic. I'll try and get a temp prob reading.

In previous summers I've noticed the old Jetta was ice cold 40 or so but only if the RPMS were up above 1800 RPMs, and best on the highway. Around town it never really seemed to cool a heat soaked interior, you were comfortable but wouldn't call it cool.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I do not have tint. But wish I did. Not for heat build up, but for better vision.
Surprising but it still seems like there is no consensus on these air conditioners.

I had an appt Friday for a guy (with good on-line reviews) to come over and tint the windows on the GSW and he never showed up. This is my wife's car and we are doing it because her skin is sensitive to the sun. I have been concerned about limiting her vision since she works at night. How would it improve vision any more than a pair of sunglasses would? Sunglasses that you can't remove on a dark night?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Surprising but it still seems like there is no consensus on these air conditioners.

I had an appt Friday for a guy (with good on-line reviews) to come over and tint the windows on the GSW and he never showed up. This is my wife's car and we are doing it because her skin is sensitive to the sun. I have been concerned about limiting her vision since she works at night. How would it improve vision any more than a pair of sunglasses would? Sunglasses that you can't remove on a dark night?
yeah

Similar situation(s) here. I even wear gloves to protect my hands (skin)

Currantly weighing the cost vs night vision results with a tint job. If not good at night, would have to srape it off -- :eek:

My wife's RAV4 is perfect, but I do not drive it. So there is no direct comparison.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
On the 5 hour drive home yesterday the cars thermostat was saying it was 34C (93F) outside. The A/C was more than up to the task of keeping it comfortable inside. It doesn't blow ice cold like my '01 F-150 but it is more than adequate.

Mama Roneck

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Thanks for posting this - I was about to start a similar thread! I had a 1.5 hour drive on the NY Thruway yesterday with five people in the car - 93F outside. The aircon could not keep up, although it was a bit better with the air recirculating rather than fresh air coming in. My GSW has been sitting 2 years - I've had it 4 weeks with about 1,000 miles so far. I'm bringing it in for 1,000 mile check up next weekend and will ask them to check refrigerant level.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm not sure if VW is still using the variable displacement air conditioning compressor that they've been using for the past ten years, but if so, the problem could be the refrigerant control valve sticking. That has been a common and ongoing issue for a while now and it's possible that it has carried forward into the 2015 model year.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah

Similar situation(s) here. I even wear gloves to protect my hands (skin)

Currantly weighing the cost vs night vision results with a tint job. If not good at night, would have to srape it off -- :eek:

My wife's RAV4 is perfect, but I do not drive it. So there is no direct comparison.
They say you can put a light shade of tint on that will still block the UV and IR rays of the sun. My wife wants dark anyway despite my concerns. It might work for you though.

I am looking at Sun-Tek cpx tint. It is supposed to last longer and they say that even the lighter tints block a lot of sun. I just got a squamous cell diagnosis on my lip so I might put some of this lighter stuff on my Passat.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for posting this - I was about to start a similar thread! I had a 1.5 hour drive on the NY Thruway yesterday with five people in the car - 93F outside. The aircon could not keep up, although it was a bit better with the air recirculating rather than fresh air coming in. My GSW has been sitting 2 years - I've had it 4 weeks with about 1,000 miles so far. I'm bringing it in for 1,000 mile check up next weekend and will ask them to check refrigerant level.
My empathy for you guys.

Beginning to believe the "2 year" storage is going to affect more than a few units.

Let us know what happens

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm not sure if VW is still using the variable displacement air conditioning compressor that they've been using for the past ten years, but if so, the problem could be the refrigerant control valve sticking. That has been a common and ongoing issue for a while now and it's possible that it has carried forward into the 2015 model year.
This would explain why some people have issues and others don't. I've only used the A/C in my '15 once, but it seemed to work fine. I wonder if some refrigerant lubricant would help.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
In reading this thread, I find that it is rather subjective: "Weak", "Feels", etc. and different climate/humidity conditions. Previously, mine "felt" "fine".

In an attempt to quantify, I went out and started my '15, it had been sitting in the shade for a couple days, using a Ratek surface reading probe, outside car temp. surface, black dash surface & interior seat surface all had readings of 86F to 87F. Engine started, engine at idle, AC then turned on ,external air source (not recirculating), fan on high, outlets in vent only position, w/ all vents open, the reading inside the center duct as viewed read through the open vent:
- The initial out coming air temp was 86F (consistent with the air in the system.
- The temp started decreasing quickly, within a minute, out coming air was in the low 60'ds F.
- In under 2 minutes the duct/outcoming air temp was 55F.
- I then rechecked the dash surface & seat surface, they decreased to 1 deg to 85/86F. The interior had cooled 1F.

It strikes me that -30 F temp differential with the system running at idle in less than 2 min is pretty darn good! I was amazed that it was that much. Now I know why it "felt fine".

VeeDub & IBW may be on to something.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In reading this thread, I find that it is rather subjective: "Weak", "Feels", etc. and different climate/humidity conditions. Previously, mine "felt" "fine".

In an attempt to quantify, I went out and started my '15, it had been sitting in the shade for a couple days, using a Ratek surface reading probe, outside car temp. surface, black dash surface & interior seat surface all had readings of 86F to 87F.

Engine started, engine at idle, AC then turned on ,external air source (not recirculating), fan on high, outlets in vent only position, w/ all vents open, the reading inside the center duct as viewed read through the open vent:
- The initial out coming air temp was 86F (consistent with the air in the system.

- The temp started decreasing quickly, within a minute, out coming air was in the low 60'ds F.

- In under 2 minutes the duct/outcoming air temp was 55F.

- I then rechecked the dash surface & seat surface, they decreased to 1 deg to 85/86F. The interior had cooled 1F.

It strikes me that -30 F temp differential with the system running at idle in less than 2 min is pretty darn good! I was amazed that it was that much. Now I know why it "felt fine".
Bob S.

Nice observation(s)

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow Bob, that is what I like about this forum. Lots of serious thinkers.

It would help to know just what the temperature coming out of the vents is supposed to be according to the design of the car. I'm not sure that 55 degrees is cold as it should be.

I was thinking also that our information (aside from yours) is subjective. One person's comfort is another persons torture.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Bob, although those sound like good results, MKIV cars do better. I just picked up my wagon after having the expansion valve, receiver/drier, and compressor replaced, as it wasn't blowing air as cold as I have come to expect. With the fan on high and the A/C on recirc (I think), Mr. Chill (see what I did there) saw 32 degrees F at the vents. MKIV cars with good A/C will fog the windows on a hot day.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Wow Bob, that is what I like about this forum. Lots of serious thinkers.

It would help to know just what the temperature coming out of the vents is supposed to be according to the design of the car. I'm not sure that 55 degrees is cold as it should be.

I was thinking also that our information (aside from yours) is subjective. One person's comfort is another persons torture.

Typically, it is the temperature differential of the air being cooled. Temp of ingoing air vs outgoing air. i.e., how much is the air being cooler that passed over the evaporator? To me 30 deg drop is better than I expected.

That said, I am impressed by Peter's MKIV drop above, I would expect nothing less then perfection from Mr. Chill (Pun intended).

I will recheck with the air set in the in recirculation mode.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, 32 degrees!! I remember my sister's 78 honda civic would freeze up (literally a block of ice) if you set the compressor too cold! I liked that you could could actually adjust the compressor on those cars rather than now where the compressor cycles don't change and you have to introduce HEATED air if you are too cold. Seems wasteful. I end up doing what the previous poster said, turning the a/c on and off if it is too cold

Mr_robs

TDI
15' GSW
I will agree with someone elses statement that the AC is definitely weaker at idle. I was sitting in traffic one day with the fan on 4, windows up, lowest temp & i have 22% tint. Felt like the vents were blowing out luke warm air. Started moving then i could feel the temp drop.

Not surprised as it seems like a design "feature" with the one cooling fan, high idle in hot temps with ac on etc.

I chop it up to newer cars just having a generally "weaker" feeling ac than old ones. Drove my car to vegas and back last week. Was 105+ a couple days and i never had to max out my fan speed in the car.

TL;DR AC feel is super subjective & performance is based on many things.

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
not the strongest A/C I've ever had, but gets the job done......My wife has a Subaru XV, seems a lot of new cars do not have ultra powerful A/C's these days....just a generalization.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Put me squarely in the underwhelmed camp with the AC on my new GSW. I have put almost 4000 miles on mine since I purchased and havent been too impressed with the ability of the AC to cool off the car quickly, although I do not like to turn the fan up over speed 3 or so, my mk4s never had this issue and I almost never turn the fan over setting 2 on those (no foam coming out of the vents and I think this helps FWIW)

My car seems to be one that was used more than most during its 2 year hiatus, as it had just over 1000 miles on it at pickup so it didn't sit as much as some of the others that I have read about.

Perhaps Ill get one of those vent termometers and see what is actually outputting. (any suggestions on what to use?)

Last edited:

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
My "new" 15 Golf is not as cold as my 11 was. I think I'm going to throw my gauges on it when I get home later and see if it needs a little 134