AHU Turbo upgrade options

JCiamaga

TDI
1997 Passat, 2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta
I have a 1997 VW B4 passat, 5 speed, 1.9l TDI (AHU motor)
Have turbo issues and looking to upgrade from a stock wastegate turbo.
The car has a malone stage 3 computer, Bosio 520 Injectors, 4 bar map sensor, high flow injection pump with upgraded fuel pump relay and a deleted EGR.
Have read mostly about the k03/k04 hybrid, but wondering if that is the best option.
One thing to note is that I have an ALH out of an 02 jetta (VNT 17?) sitting around.
Have read many threads, but I guess I need some clarity.
Thanks

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The ALH turbo will work with a tune and a Mk4 N75 valve, however you'll also have to change out the passenger side engine mount bracket as that turbo setup puts the turbo inlet into the bracket.

What are your power goals? Are you prepared / expecting to fabricate a downpipe or are you trying to find what will fit with stock exhaust and intake piping?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Why is it that you have a 4 bar sensor with that stock Turbo?
hopefully it was just forethought when he did the tune... or it was all that was available to him for that internal MAP sensor.

changing to a VNT will also require a new tune so you need to factor that into your costs...

K03/04 hybrid will be the only bolt on upgrade but there are several other wastegate turbo options but all of them will require manifold/adapter, downpipe and intercooler pipework.

JCiamaga

TDI
1997 Passat, 2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta
As far as the car being the way it is, that's how I got it. We would have to ask the previous owner why all this was done without a turbo upgrade. Thing blows more black smoke than my F550.

Anyway, I am not scared of any fab work needed, although I am more likely to go with the easiest option. Being what was done to the car by the previous owner, I more or less wasn't sure if the bolt on k03/k04 was the best option. And since I am historically more of a heavy truck guy, I figured I would ask you guys, if for nothing else as to where to look.

As far as what I'm really looking for as far as power is no more than the best bang for my investment of time vs money.

Once again, thank you

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
if you can do the modest fab work needed to fit a larger turbo, i would suggest that route.

the GT2052 or a small frame holset (he200wg sounds like best fit) . eurotrash or alcaid can get you a holset, idparts has the 2052. Both are actually cheaper than the hybrid and will outperform it by a good margin... they just require some fabwork.

Either should work with your current tune and MAP sensor but you should confirm the requested boost level of the tune and that the MAP sensor actually is a 4 bar.

"look ma no vanes" is a well documented GT2052 install, and the same stuff applies to installing the holsets

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
HE221

or any other td04hl based thing out there
the 5cm 15t ones from saab HPT cars work nice, T25 flange.