AHU Starting issue (Starter or ?)

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Hi,

I have a 97 Passat TDI setup in my engine swapped bus. This setup is well sorted and has about 70,000 miles on it.

For the sake of simplifying the issue think of me having a stock 97 Passat, as all of the relevant components for starting are the same.

Symptom:
Sometimes I will turn the key and get a click from the solenoid and little or no rotation. If I immediately turn the key off and try 2-3 more times, the starter will spin and the engine starts.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Mark

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hi,

I have a 97 Passat TDI setup in my engine swapped bus. This setup is well sorted and has about 70,000 miles on it.

For the sake of simplifying the issue think of me having a stock 97 Passat, as all of the relevant components for starting are the same.

Symptom:
Sometimes I will turn the key and get a click from the solenoid and little or no rotation. If I immediately turn the key off and try 2-3 more times, the starter will spin and the engine starts.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Mark
Sounds like a failing starter solenoid. Check when it's not starting to verify that there is power getting to the solenoid, and then if there is, check for power on the motor terminal.
They're not hard to rebuild and good parts aren't too expensive. (I have rebuild kits for these) or you can get an oem starter, if that's the issue. I would not recommend getting a parts store one, as they all have gone to Chinese parts and I've seen plenty that fail right from the box, or within a week of being replaced.
If it uses the same starter as the 1z/ahu, I've got a reman one in stock as well.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
1) Ignition switch. They’re a known weak point.
2) Convenience module behind the headlight switch. The main starter power wires go through this and I’ve had them fail before. A common mod is to tie these two together, bypassing the module.
3) Ground on starter and/or battery.
4) Starter solenoid.