AHU exhaust: 2.5" or 3"

hopcarolina

TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Corrado TDI
Hello all,
Wanted to maybe get some input from everyone on this. I am building a TDI Corrado. 98 AHU engine. I am not going for a hypermileage car or SCCA racer but a little doesn't hurt...a good daily driver for a mid forties old guy!

Currently it has a 130 hp BEW intake with EGR delete and 2" boost lines on a stock G60 intercooler. The stock turbo. I am in the process of building the exhaust. The flex line was broke so I replaced it with a 2.5" line. I can either stay with that 2.5" stainless out the back or up it to 3". I haven't decided if I should add a resonator or muffler. Probably run the straight pipe to hear it then if too loud add something to calm it down.

I am wondering if there will be much power increase from the intake to the straight pipe to the different sizes. 3" over 2.5" will not be much extra I would think. How much would a flowmaster kill it? Maybe just a single resonator? How much will mileage be affected?

Any help or comments will be much appreciated!

bturpin

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta mk3 TDI AHU
I don't think it really matters on size. However get rid of the cat if you haven't already. That is if you can in your state. And a Flowmaster wouldn't make any difference in flow. The cat is the bottleneck of the exhaust system.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't think a free flowing 3" exhaust begins to add any real power vs. a free flowing 2.5" exhaust until over 250 hp or so.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I agree with turbobrick that 3" is not needed until higher power levels, however personally I'd be going 3" around 200hp. Until then it is really just noise. The 3 inch will be louder than the 2.5. You would most likely be able to get away without a muffler on the 2.5.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Depends on ones taste. All my cars are 3 inch...thats what I prefer. 2.5 is fine...but then so are stock turbos. I like upgrades...even if you done "need" them......

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I don't think a free flowing 3" exhaust begins to add any real power vs. a free flowing 2.5" exhaust until over 250 hp or so.
this

if you're running a stock turbo (or similarly sized) you're not going to gain anything going from a 2" straight pipe all the way to the extreme example of just running without any downpipe at all

ETA: go with aluminum if you can weld it, no reason not to on a diesel

To87

TDI
A6 Avant TDIQ -96
My old cordoba vario did have 3" downpipe and the straight section under car was 3" rest was 2.5". For the 3" dp there is not so much room. Easier to make full 2.5" pipe. Power from wheels 178hp/380nm. Injectors 0.216x6 holes nozzles, self made manifold and td04-14t turbo from volvo, IC on the front, tuning box was v-tech. 416000km on it when i sell it.

Last edited: