Ahu build questions

TDI
Mk2 ahu GTI building a RHD ahu mk3 golf , 81 rabbit 1.6d
So I just bought a 98 Jetta Tdi for 200 bucks sat for 3 years got it running when I got there and drove it up in my trailer and home we went.... I'm going to be pulling everything out to swap in to my 4-door golf shell I'm in the process of shaving the bay and a RHD conversion on I've built plenty of gasers and swapped a ahu in to my mk2 but never built a Tdi for more power done some research and would like some suggestions and ideas to help me make this build run a while

With that said my plan is to strip the motor and clean the whole thing freshen it all up and I'm going to do the following
EDIT EDIT
that was my plan but just talk to Whitbread and after the talk with him once I finish my RHD conversion and have the Tdi in an running good the car will be getting driven out to Michigan for Matt to do his thing with the compound set up as of now all I know that will defanitly be getting done is

stage 2 colt cam
Ported head with a fresh rebuild
Pd150 intake mani
11mm IP from a mk4 automatic
Set of Rods and +1mm pistons
copmound set up built by Whitbread
Whatever else he feels is nessecary

Any other suggestions on things I may need or should add to make it reliable and fun any input from people who have done simmilar builds or have a strong knowledge in Tdi's would be greatly appreciated like I said I'm new to building Tdi motors so any and all help might have some noob questions along the way also so please bare with

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I dont think you need rods for that turbo. I have a holset he211, which is about the same size, maybe a bit more efficient, and I run it HARD in an heavier AWD car that puts the power down. No issues with rods. Sounds like a good build though. I had mine on a stock engine with stock valvetrain. Currently I have it torn down to do a colt stage 3 cam, dual valve springs and a moderate port job.

Also, I would recomend looking at the he211w and he221 turbos. They are more modern and efficient than a 2052 and cheaper, and probably a bit tougher. I have used holset turbos in a few different apps, and they are hard to beat for value and durability.

TDI
I dont think you need rods for that turbo. I have a holset he211, which is about the same size, maybe a bit more efficient, and I run it HARD in an heavier AWD car that puts the power down. No issues with rods. Sounds like a good build though. I had mine on a stock engine with stock valvetrain. Currently I have it torn down to do a colt stage 3 cam, dual valve springs and a moderate port job.

Also, I would recomend looking at the he211w and he221 turbos. They are more modern and efficient than a 2052 and cheaper, and probably a bit tougher. I have used holset turbos in a few different apps, and they are hard to beat for value and durability.

Thanks man I'll look in to those turbos were they a direct bolt up to the manifold and I've only seen the colt stage 2 for ahu motors or are you useing the alh one and what spring set up are you going to use a stiffer more dutiable for the new cam who's springs are you going to use

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
they are not a direct bolt on. I used a generic 8v vw turbo manifold with a t25 flange, but my audi allows for a lot more room. I know username 'selle' on here has one on a mk4 with a flange welded to an ALH manifold. I also had to do some wastegate rework. I think the same amount of work would need to be done to fit a 2052.

I have an ALH cam to go in mine. I have the dual springs from whitbread. Not sure on brand. He claims they will be fine at high boost. I did need to add the lower perches for dual springs. I stole them out of a junk ABA obd 1 head that came with dual springs.

TDI
they are not a direct bolt on. I used a generic 8v vw turbo manifold with a t25 flange, but my audi allows for a lot more room. I know username 'selle' on here has one on a mk4 with a flange welded to an ALH manifold. I also had to do some wastegate rework. I think the same amount of work would need to be done to fit a 2052.

I have an ALH cam to go in mine. I have the dual springs from whitbread. Not sure on brand. He claims they will be fine at high boost. I did need to add the lower perches for dual springs. I stole them out of a junk ABA obd 1 head that came with dual springs.

Obd1 ABA that's good I have a spare ABA motor that I'm gonna have to take the lower perches out of than and go the same route with the colt stage 3 if that's all that's needed and I know username GTiTDi makes an adapter flange for the 2052 to fit the stock manifold and I don't believe you have to do any waste gate work he's got his squeezed in a mk2 like I have but this build is for my mk3 next one will be for my rabbit

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont think the holset is night and day different from the 2052, but I personally think its a better turbo for less money. I Think the 2052 is roughly 750 new, the holset is around 500-600.

I prefer something different, so thats my motivation a lot of the time, and the fact that I have had really good luck with holset turbos over the years.

Keep in mind, I have no feedback on the cam and spring setup yet, just theoretical. I have only run my setup with race 520 nozzles and a 10mm pump on a totally stock engine (aside from ARP studs).

To me, my engine really seemed like it was choking up on the top end, and not able to deliver the fuel quickly enough.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
And I would suggest a lift pump. I have been running my car without, and it is pretty obvious i needs one.

Dont forget to check your intermediate shaft bearings while in the motor.

TDI
Ok than maybe I'll just run the colt stage 2 unless you have yours all done and a good outcome before I have my car all done and ready to go I gota finish the RHD swap an shaveing the bay still than I'll be all ready to put the motor in I'm gonna pull the motor on the next week or so and start to tare it down clean off things its filthy right now than do the head gasket water pump and a few other maint items while I have it out and everything's easy to get to

TDI
Yeah I'm gonna check he bearings and is there an arp kit for the bottom end seen a few people said they beefed up the lower with some arp stuff to hold it together ether under high boost with out rods just for a precaution sense they weren't gonna do rods

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
again, I wouldn't bother with the bottom end bolts, but thats just me.

Take a look at this build, this dudes around 350hp on a STOCK 1z bottom end. I know it helps to be a Scandinavian redneck when it comes to crazy power out of stock vw diesels, but I like to have a go at it.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=459403
With good tuning, I see no need to touch anything in the bottom end. I prefer not to open up vw/audi motors in the bottom end if they are running fine. Its hard to beat the quality of the factory assembled parts.

Last edited:
TDI
Yeah I thought I would most likely need the lift pump ... that's a pretty sick build he's got and defiantly gives me some reassurance to not building the bottom end I'm just trying to figure out where he was taking off the Pistons and if it's worth it or just leave them alone

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I left mine alone. I think he deepened the valve pockets to create room for a big cam and drop compression. I don't see a need to drop compression with a turbo of the size you're thinking. Those turbos can't in enough boost to be a danger. He had an hx35 and probably runs a lot of boost pressure.

TDI
Yeah I saw that the hx35 is pretty big I'd see that being kind of laggy..... What lift pump are you going to run the mk4 one or is there a better option

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to try a universal facet pump, but it just arrived and it looks a bit small. I would run the mk4 pump but my Audi uses an external pump, so I can't. There is a lot of discussion about lift pumps here, and it's like asking people what oil is the best. No two answers are the same.

TDI
Yeah iv been seeing that I think I may go the mk4 route it's a simple drop in to the mk3 tank and just need to find a relay for it and your set

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
bottom end mods??

vtpsd:

What have you done to strengthen the bottom end? I'm running an AHU with a bunch of mods (see sig) and just blew the rings. This didn't happen immediately - it took a few years where I may have been pushing it for extended periods. I've limited the boost to 15psi>18psi and also carefully watch the EGT, oil temp, etc.

However, something pushed it too hard and I'm wondering what to do to beef up the block and head. :confused:

- E*clipse

TDI
E*clipse the 2056 your running is still a regular wastegaye setup right you didn't convert over to vnt and if so how is it with spool any lag where is your peaking around

TDI
How big of a process was it to convert your car to vnt and what harness and ecu are you useing

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
What clutch are you running for your setup
I'm on my third setup, but my clutch stuff is totally different because its mated to an audi quattro trans. I had a spec stage 2+, a southbend stage 3 daily, and am now installing a 240mm DMF with a sachs race engineering disk and pressure plate.

Your clutch options are much more simple and open. The damn quattro trans and 4 cylinder TDI engine are a picky combination. All of those clutches held the power, but the first was a solid steel flywheel and caused bad vibrations in the synchros at low rpm. The second was a dual mass setup from a 1.8t a4 quattro. That drove wonderfully, but the engine would bottom out the springs in the dual mass when rolling into the throttle in higher gears. Hopefully the new setup will drive smooth and take the angry diesel torque.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
vtpsd:

What have you done to strengthen the bottom end? I'm running an AHU with a bunch of mods (see sig) and just blew the rings. This didn't happen immediately - it took a few years where I may have been pushing it for extended periods. I've limited the boost to 15psi>18psi and also carefully watch the EGT, oil temp, etc.

However, something pushed it too hard and I'm wondering what to do to beef up the block and head. :confused:

- E*clipse
I've done nothing but install new gaskets and intermediate shaft bearings. Following the lead of the crazy Scandinavian guys who make 300hp+ on stock bottom ends.

If it blows, then it blows. I am able to monitor pretty much every temperature and pressure on my car, and I make sure to keep them all happy. That should help keep things together.

TDI
I was gonna leave my bottomed stock until I talk to Whitbread and decided to go compound and gonna need some rods for that and a bit more but screw of I only wanna build it once and be done with the motor I got to many projects to break things and have to rebuild