AHU block surface temps

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Not sure if I am just not doing the right thing to find an answer or if this is an obscure enough of a question where the answer doesn't exist...

Does anyone know what typical surface temps are of an AHU engine block? Let's assume stock output, maybe 30C (or a hot summer day).

Just looking for some ballpark figure. I might have some follow-up questions regarding exhaust temps and plating, but figured I'd start with surface temps first.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Probably around 200 deg f, a little higher around the exhaust manifold ports

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Probably around 200 deg f, a little higher around the exhaust manifold ports
That's reasonable. I want to go down the road of powder coating an AHU block for an ongoing project. I reached out to the powder coat vendor to confirm max operating temps... But I think 200F isn't too difficult of a target. We'll see.

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I heard back from the vendor - they said 250F with intermittent spikes to 300F.

I think I need a little more of a safety net than that. I am really chasing a high sheen/reflective finish on the block. I even ventured down the road of potentially chrome plating, but that is a bit unrealistic considering there is no way of just plating the exterior of the block... Process does not lend itself to masking.

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I have another question, what is the max temp a block could see before warping can become an issue?

In terms of cure schedules for certain coatings, there are a couple that require a 500F cure for 1 hour. Would this be problematic?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
As far as I know the block is cast iron and thus should be fine for that temperature. Are there any machined surfaces which might experience accelerated corrosion? I doubt that would be a problem but worth considering how to deal with it if it happens. Maybe take it up to temperature in a trial run before coating so anything that is going to burn off and ruin the coating is already gone.
You would have to be a little careful heating and cooling to avoid thermal stress from one part of the block being significantly hotter than another, either cracking the block, or the coating, mostly don’t warm it or cool it too fast. 500 is hot but nothing out of the ordinary for many industrial processes. That said I’ve seen components crack from thermal shocks.
How are you planning to heat it? Do you have a large enough oven or are you planning to make one?
I had some experience with baking a Heresite coating on the inside of a tank for sulphuric acid service, long time ago now. I think we had to get to 950 F and hold for 6 hours, maybe more.
We put rock wool blankets over the outside and a propane burner in the tank. Took at least 12, maybe it was more than 24 hours to get up to temperature and more again to cool down. Think the tank was maybe 15 ft diameter by 20 something tall. All worked successfully.

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
As far as I know the block is cast iron and thus should be fine for that temperature. Are there any machined surfaces which might experience accelerated corrosion?
From the heat? The coating I am chasing will be done for the purpose of aesthetics. So my goal would be to mimic coverage of the black factory finish. I might consider coating the side of the block that mates up to the trans since there is bare metal exposed there, but I think I have some flexibility.

You would have to be a little careful heating and cooling to avoid thermal stress from one part of the block being significantly hotter than another, either cracking the block, or the coating, mostly don’t warm it or cool it too fast. 500 is hot but nothing out of the ordinary for many industrial processes. That said I’ve seen components crack from thermal shocks.
Though different coatings have slightly different methods when applying, my initial question was asked because one of the coatings required that the part be heated to 500F, removed from the oven, and then the coating is applied when the part is heated (obviously cooling at room temp). This was for Cerakote's Glacier Chrome. After speaking to them, that coating has been discontinued so a moot point right now. I need to venture down another path.

How are you planning to heat it? Do you have a large enough oven or are you planning to make one?
I had some experience with baking a Heresite coating on the inside of a tank for sulphuric acid service, long time ago now. I think we had to get to 950 F and hold for 6 hours, maybe more.
We put rock wool blankets over the outside and a propane burner in the tank. Took at least 12, maybe it was more than 24 hours to get up to temperature and more again to cool down. Think the tank was maybe 15 ft diameter by 20 something tall. All worked successfully.
I wouldn't be anywhere near those temps. The 500F I mentioned earlier was more of an exception anyways. Most curing schedules (granted these were for the powder coats I was initially looking for) were at around 200F. Anything under 500 and I'd be going to craigslist for an old cheap oven. An AHU block will fit in an oven no prob... the block is the size of a large toaster.

Yesterday I came across another vendor that was recommended to me elsewhere, Jet-Hot Ceramic Coatings. This was very promising because they DO have a reflective, almost chrome-like, ceramic coating that was good up to 1250F. But, they would NOT entertain an engine block. It was explained that the block would be difficult for them to handle since their lines are not set up for "large and heavy" parts. Also their prep involves a thermal cleaning and media blast and they did not want to use media on an engine. Understandable, but a bummer.

So I'm back to square one.

I need a high temp chrome-like finish on a cast iron block.

Any takers?