Ah, bloody @*&#*!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Speedometer conked out on the ride to work this morning. Took it straight to the dealer.

Just talked to him a little bit ago - coolant migration. He said he was able to clean the connector on the instrument cluster and get the speedo working again.

Taking the "easier" fix for now (new coolant tank, clean up connectors). Guess I'm doing the weep hole mod tonight when I get home.

So far, the only thing that's had a problem is the speedo, although I've burned up two euroswitches in the past year - now that I think about it, though, maybe that's why I've been having issues with them.

Any spare good thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Leave the connector un-plugged 'til you get all sorted out. I've got the TSB "fix" bulletin should you wish to review it.

Good luck.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Don't take it to the dealer. Your car is already out of warranty, they will do a poor job and cost more.

When it comes time to have it fixed, find a guru or a trusted mechanic to do it.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
Already picked it up from the dealer (closest repair shop to work) after having the tank replaced and the cluster connector cleaned. I have a 50 mile drive to get home - not the sort of run to make with no speedo or odometer.

Dieseldorf - the plan at present is to do the "weep hole" and remove the orange seal from the connector at the coolant tank tonight, and keep an eye on things for the time being. You think it'd be better to keep the coolant level sensor disconnected, even on a new tank and with the above-mentioned mods in place?

As to the euroswitches, that could be coincidence - I didn't see any dirty terminals when I pulled them out after they failed, and they are the cheap ones (didn't get them from TDIParts.com). Still, I'll have a gander at the harness connector tonight before I head home.

Rob

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to provide follow-up on this, so here it is.

Didn't get the weep hole mod and connector gasket removal done that night, but did it the subsequent weekend. Hopefully, that should prevent further migration.

With the cluster connectors cleaned, the car seems like it has a touch more "zip" than immediately prior, but I can't be sure if it's real or my imagination.

Harness connector for the headlight switch looked clean, as did the dead euroswitch. However, both of the short-lived ones were of the "CAEA" variety. This time, though, I got lucky - when ECS Tuning shipped me a replacement under warranty, they sent one of the nice "LK" ones that sounds and feels like the OEM US switch. Perhaps they've given up on the cheaper ones?

Oh, and DD? The TSB would make for interesting reading, now that I think about it. I'll PM you with my email address.

Rob