Aftermarket Warranty Buyer Beware!

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I purchased an aftermarket warranty for my car when i bought it 8 months ago.

The warranty is from "Motorist Assistance Plan" or MAP for short. through EFG Companies.

The warranty Specifically states coverages for "All Internally Lubricated Parts", at which my local VW sent a claim for my worn camshaft, After 24 hours, an adjuster for MAP came out to inspect the wear. within an hour, The dealership heard back from MAP and they are blaming the wear on a "Lack of lubrication". After many phone calls and arguing with several employees at MAP, i only get denied coverage for my "Internally lubricated part". The VW tech specifically stated in his notes "There appears to be no lack of lubrication at the top end"

Another section specifically states coverage for "Flywheel/Flexplate". I called MAP to confirm coverage for the Dual Mass Flywheel, at which they state "The Dual Mass Flywheel in your car is covered for faliure of the dual mass flywheel's internal mechanisms, if there is any signs of heat stress to the flywheel as in any heat marks, We will not grant coverage to the flywheel. and i have never replaced a clutch where there wasnt some kind of heat mark.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with MAP and strongly encourage anyone purchasing a new vehicle to not purchase the aftermarket warranty from "Motorist Assistance Plan".

This warranty cost my 2580$ and regret ever buying it.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Just remember that all such insurance policies are designed for one and only one thing --- Get your money. They are not going to sell you the insurance for less than they expect to pay out. They have cost and kickbacks to the dealer and underwriter etc. You are going to end up paying all of them. That encourages then to not cover expensive stuff if they can.

The OEM warranty is a whole different animal.

While a few people will benefit from such insurance, most will not.

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
My personal experience - I used to have Chevy S10 truck and I had Warranty Direct coverage and I think I paid may be $1000 ($0 deductible) for the coverage and in the end they ended paying $2500+ towards the extended warranty. This was 4 years ago since then I am sure they became smart and I don't buy any more coverages. I just take the risk and go from there.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I purchased an aftermarket warranty for my car when i bought it 8 months ago.

The warranty is from "Motorist Assistance Plan" or MAP for short. through EFG Companies.

The warranty Specifically states coverages for "All Internally Lubricated Parts", at which my local VW sent a claim for my worn camshaft, After 24 hours, an adjuster for MAP came out to inspect the wear. within an hour, The dealership heard back from MAP and they are blaming the wear on a "Lack of lubrication". After many phone calls and arguing with several employees at MAP, i only get denied coverage for my "Internally lubricated part". The VW tech specifically stated in his notes "There appears to be no lack of lubrication at the top end"

Another section specifically states coverage for "Flywheel/Flexplate". I called MAP to confirm coverage for the Dual Mass Flywheel, at which they state "The Dual Mass Flywheel in your car is covered for faliure of the dual mass flywheel's internal mechanisms, if there is any signs of heat stress to the flywheel as in any heat marks, We will not grant coverage to the flywheel. and i have never replaced a clutch where there wasnt some kind of heat mark.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with MAP and strongly encourage anyone purchasing a new vehicle to not purchase the aftermarket warranty from "Motorist Assistance Plan".

This warranty cost my 2580$ and regret ever buying it.
Did you do your oil changes? If yes, do you have proof? Fight it. A camshaft is internally lubricated and as long as you did the maintanance, you'll win. For the DMF, they fail due to internal issues, so you should be able to get that covered.

Aftermarket warranty's are crap. They don't give a damn about customer service. At least with a VW CPO warranty, VW wants to try to please their clients because they want repeat business. I've had both on various cars - The VW one has always been fine, while the aftermarket ones have been a fight each time.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Like yatzee says, you are going to have to show that scheduled oil changes were performed likely ever since new. I hope you have all previous maintenance records. If you do, you will likely win.

What does the contract say about scheduled maintenance? About recourse when a claim is denied? You might want to consult with an attorney. It is common knowledge that large claims are almost always initially denied in hopes the claimant goes away.

Good luck.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
Slamhouse -- good luck. I had the same experience with Fidelity, which covered my car until 72k. I transferred the warranty from the previous owner. Not worth the $40 transfer fee. They refused to warranty my heavily worn camshaft. After talking to them on the phone and writing letters, they asked me to take the car back to the dealer a 2nd time so they could have a tech come out again. But that cost me $160.00 the first time, plus a rental car, so I said no thanks. Frustrating!

My parents have had good experiences with 3rd party extended warranties, but both experiences happened when they were on a trip and their transmission failed or developed a huge oil leak, and there was no way the company could deny it. Short of that, it seems denial is the way of the game. Sorry for your experience.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Just remember that no matter who is selling you that insurance (no matter what they say it is not a warranty.
a written guarantee, issued to the purchaser of an article by its manufacturer, promising to repair or replace it if necessary within a specified period of time : the car comes with a three-year warranty | as your machine is under warranty, I suggest getting it checked.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I had an aftermarket warranty company cold call me about my '95 Isuzu Trooper, and they wanted to offer me a 'new warranty', exclusive of mileage. I asked again about the mileage and they reiterated it, but they hesitated when I said it had 310,000 miles on it by then.

For $1,600 I declined since I figure it had to be a scam. My brother has it now and it's still going with 346,000 miles on it.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I have had on after mkt warranty on my BMW 735i, had a leak in the transmission, was covered to the tune of 2,000. Pd 1,000 for the coverage. I'm good on these warranties as long as you have documentation of your servicing of the vehicle.

I have one on my new Treg TDI. I hope I never need to uise it ,but I am sure I will. The key to the warranty is the insurance Co that finances the deal. VW doesn,t have an extended warranty, check the fine print.

Insurance makes a bet that overall the policies will take in more than they pay out. It's the nature of all insurance. We all pay for the costs of hurricanes and tornados even if we never have a claim. Same thing with cars.. It's a bet you have to make that you will be lucky or cover by a policy . JP