Aftermarket fuel filter install

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I believe so, and that stud is on the top of the bolt...
or

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
I'm going to see how close I can get the bracket to the mount and perhaps more fuel line won't be needed in the future.

Question to all of you- I ordered a motor mount. Some pics I see have a stud on the lower hole for factory bracket. Is thst true thst only the bottom one has the stud?
Yes, the lowest of the 3 mounting points is a stud with a 13mm nut securing the bracket to the stud. The upper 2 mounting points secure the bracket with 13mm bolts.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I don't believe you'll get the aftermarket filter tucked in closer enough (if any) to solve the hose length issue. Without either the filter hitting the hood or interference on the bottom end it pretty much has to be where it is. I looked at all sorts of options when installing mine and I ran into the hose problem.

One thing I did consider is making or modifying to get a longer banjo nipple (10mm diameter to fit stock hose). That would be a good option if a longer one is available off the shelf, they weren't in my brief search..
In the end I still think replacing that short 8mm hose is the simplest option. Best, as in cleanest and most professional, option is probably three port filter head and one (or all 3) longer banjo nipples to end up exactly where the stock ones were in relation to everything else.

joshferrer

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL (CKRA)
I recently installed an aftermarket fuel filter head with CAT-1R0750 filter in the 2015 Golf. Years ago I did the same in the 05 Jetta and that has worked out well.

The kit for 2015 Golf https://nicktane.com/product/uber-fuel-filter-kit-passat-2010/

This install was not quite as straightforward as it was on the older car, I also deviated from the intended methods. I may have also been shipped some incorrect parts, or my car was not quite what they had in mind for the particular kit, I'm not sure. The vendor was helpful in sorting out the issues I asked about; I took care of some on my own.

The original fuel filter has 3 lines, all 10mm. Originally I was sent some 10mm and some 8mm banjo barb adapters for the new fuel filter head then I swapped them out for all 10mm to match original filter fittings/hoses.

The supplied welded together bracket I couldn't figure out how it worked/fit in the 2015. Which is OK because the original fuel filter cannister and bracket after some trimming makes a superb bracket to mount the aftermarket filter with the supplied large hose clamps. Left 3/4" of the cannister above and below the bracket, trimmed the sides closer to the bracket. Some rivets are in the way so added 1/8" cork gasket material attached to the bracket with contact adhesive.

Trimmed bracket

Corners rounded and cork added to clear rivets

The kit was supplied with one long and one short banjo bolt so the supply (from tank) and return line could be stacked on the same port.
I chose to purchase two more short banjo bolts (not use the long one) and modify the filter head to include a third port then all three lines would fit side by side in the same order like the original setup, a very clean install. Thread size was M12x1.5 and must be tapped dead square to the surface or you'll have leaks. Milled some clearance in the filter head for the new hose.
Also check the banjo bolts for burrs inside, it would be smart to deburr them, at least the one feeding the injection pump, to avoid passing metal into expensive components. All of mine had burs inside from the cross drilled holes.

Modified filter head

Only issue I had with connections was the hose from tank to filter was 1/2" short in my application. The original hose, though molded/formed, is more or less straight so I thought easy to replace with a new hose... except the hose barb on the quick disconnect fitting near the firewall is 8mm and the other end at the filter is 10mm.... If only I had kept one of those 8mm banjo barb fittings I could have used an entirely new piece of 8mm hose, and I would recommend that for anyone duplicating my attempts. Instead I cut the stock hose about in half and spliced in a new piece of 8mm hose with a barbed splice fitting. (hard to add only 1/2" length to a hose thus cutting the original hose and adding several inches of new hose)
8mm diesel hose I used https://www.idparts.com/diesel-fuel-hose-8mm-meter-n2035915-16121180409-p-3077.html

Short hose

Splice in 8mm hose

Summary:
The new filter using the original filter cannister/bracket looks good and fits perfect.
Still not sure about the bracket that comes with filter kit, didn't seem to fit.
Double check hose size and new barbed fitting size.
Expect to replace or lengthen the hose from the tank to filter in any case, probably use 8mm hose.
For a more professional look/fit add a third port to the filter head.

Use VCDS to prime the fuel system for minimum 3 minutes before starting the engine.

Finished
Really nice job on the bracket modification! Looks clean.

I was going to go the Nicktane route initially but decided to try putting something together myself.

I cut the bracket from the stock housing and welded it together with a bracket I made. Lined it up with a Napa 4770 filter mount and the results came out great. All three mounting points are in tact and no need for a clamp. Easy to swap out filters when needed. I picked up a bunch of fittings and some stainless steel lines and all is good. Painted it all black and it looks clean.

My welding is terrible but it works and is on there pretty secure. I have another filter housing I'm going to use to really make the welds look nice.

I'll make a thread on my process one of these days.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
The 8mm diesel hose I used https://www.idparts.com/diesel-fuel-hose-8mm-meter-n2035915-16121180409-p-3077.html
Obviously you'll need an 8mm nipple on the new filter.
I used a dremel tool to cut down the oem cannister and acquired cork from a local craft store and duplicated your efforts, just not as pretty. I picked up a 1 foot length of Gates high pressure fuel in 7.9 mm id from my local Oreilly's.

My Nictane filter head came supplied with two 8mm nipple size Banjo's and one 10 mm nipple sized Banjo.
All fuel lines are 8mm id except where they connect to the oem filter, at which point they are flared out to 10mm.

I cut back the new 7.9 mm fuel line and replaced the existing supply fuel line, no splicing needed, and connected it directly to the 8mm nipple Banjo on the outboard filter head port. Connected one of the fuel lines from the engine to the existing 10mm nipple Banjo on the filter head center port. Sent one 8mm nipple Banjo back to Nick to exchange for a 10mm nipple Banjo.

The double stacked Banjos on the center filter head port look like they would have a close encounter with the hood when closed, however, there appears to be at least an inch of clearance.

Last edited:

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Brew1, your description of the install sounds good except one detail.
First understand that one of the fuel lines from filter to the engine is a supply line, clean fuel. The other line from engine to filter is a return line, this fuel should be refiltered. Note how the original filter head had one central port (clean fuel emerges) and two outside ports.
Thus the stacked banjo fitting should be the external port of the filter head, not the central fitting.

Most spin-on and cannister type filters dirt collects in the cannister and clean fluid exits the center of the filter.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Brew1, your description of the install sounds good except one detail.
First understand that one of the fuel lines from filter to the engine is a supply line, clean fuel. The other line from engine to filter is a return line, this fuel should be refiltered. Note how the original filter head had one central port (clean fuel emerges) and two outside ports.
Thus the stacked banjo fitting should be the external port of the filter head, not the central fitting.

Most spin-on and cannister type filters dirt collects in the cannister and clean fluid exits the center of the filter.
I agree, as directed by Nicktane i connected the supply line with clean fuel coming from the fuel tank to the single Banjo on the outboard port.

And connected the two fuel lines that attach to the engine to the double stacked Banjo on the center port.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
I disagree that you agree with me ;) two hoses on the center of the filter is not what I suggested.

look at your original filter head and how the original lines were.
Only one line is in the center of the filter, the clean fuel going to feed the engine.
The other two lines attach to the outside (dirty side) of the filter, one is supply from the tank, other is fuel returning from engine.
The aftermarket filter should be plumbed the same. Stacked banjo fittings on the outside port.

While you say two lines go to the engine that’s not quite true. One is fuel which should be assumed “dirty” coming FROM the engine this on many engines would go to the tank, on the VW they save some fuel line and return it to the same side of the filter as the tank is connected. Does that help clarify?

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
If i understand you correctly, you are assuming that the Nicktane filter assembly is set up the same way as the OEM filter assembly.

Therefore you connected the supply line coming from the fuel tank to the center port of the Nicktane filter head. The other 2 lines should not be connected to the center port, but should be connected to an outboard port.

Have you had any issues running your filter setup that way?

So you would then suggest running the double stacked banjos on the outboard port for connecting to the engine and run a single banjo on the center port for connecting to the fuel supply line?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
I do think the Nicknane should be setup same as OEM filter was.
But not as you just described… I’m struggling to explain it any differently or better than I already have.
Perhaps look at my original pictures and your original setup as well. Pictures being worth so many more words and all.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
I do think the Nicknane should be setup same as OEM filter was.
But not as you just described… I’m struggling to explain it any differently or better than I already have.
Perhaps look at my original pictures and your original setup as well. Pictures being worth so many more words and all.
Ok.
So moving the double stacked banjo to the outside port, both the fuel supply line from the fuel tank and the return line from the engine are connected to the double stack and the line that supplies the fuel pump is connected to the center port.

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
hi guys, any one of you that has a bracket that doesn't fit please let me know. i'd like to get this issue resolved so you don't have to mod the stock brackets.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
That should work.
For stability, it would be nice to have all 3 mounting points used.

If using the shorter 1 Micron filter, the bracket arms could be a little shorter and angled a little more towards the engine.

If using the longer CAT filter, i wouldn't deviate much from oem bracket location.

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
hi,

ok i'll mock one up and see if i can get someone to test it. can you post some pictures up close with the stock filter on it? i'm trying to figure out how close i can get it to the motor mount.

That should work.
For stability, it would be nice to have all 3 mounting points used.

If using the shorter 1 Micron filter, the bracket arms could be a little shorter and angled a little more towards the engine.

If using the longer CAT filter, i wouldn't deviate much from oem bracket location.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Baldwin fuel filter filled with Diesel Service, Nicktane filter head secured, hoses connected, primed fuel pump using VCDS, started up, checked for leaks.

So far, so good.

Last edited: