aftermarket brake pads/rotors

skyfox

My '99 Beetle TDI failed VA state inspection yesterday because the front brake pads and rotors need to be replaced. The mechanic quoted me $218 for parts and $147 for labor. This is not a VW dealer, just a local gas station. Anyway, I've put together what seems to be better parts for about $133. Can anyone tell me if these will be as easy to install as the OEM parts? The place I'd be ordering from has a 20% restock fee so I'd rather not send them back!

Brembo Vented Disc, Front, Sold Individually, Machined To Exact OEM Specs $39
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance/psearch.php?part_number=N1000-104477

Bendix BRAKE PAD SET, FRONT, CERAMIC -- Direct Fit $57
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance/psearch.php?part_number=BFD768CT

Also, is it worth the extra $$ to get these ceramic pads? They sell a semi-metallic set for $43.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Fox, what is your experience performing this work (on other vehicles)?

Check TDiparts.com....I think they've got a pkg deal going, too.

Yes, $125-$150 sounds right assuming YOU are providing labor. Keep in mind, with the advent of internet shopping, many of us can buy components for less $$ than your favorite service outlet who uses their traditional supply channels. ;)

skyfox

Thanks for the reply, Dieseldorf. Actually, I'm still going to have the mechanic perform the labor since I am somewhat "mechanically challenged." I just wanted to make sure these aftermarket parts wouldn't give him any problems and are as compatible as VW parts.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd buy from a recognized source and you won't have any issues.

You'd better get his permission to bring your own parts. Some places will not deal with that.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
The Brembo rotors are fine.

Don't know much about those ceramic pads though.

I've been using the Pagid pads from Impex with the Brembo rotors and it makes for a nice setup... as good or better than OEM.

Mel

skyfox

One more question, and this may sound dumb but...

I need to replace the pads on both front wheels. Does that mean I need to buy 1 set of pads, or 2? It says they come in pairs, but aren't there 2 pads on each wheel?

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
1 box of pads typically contains 4 pads, 2 for each side.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just buy one set of pads for the front axles.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
golfstream said:
I've been using the Pagid pads from Impex with the Brembo rotors and it makes for a nice setup... as good or better than OEM.
I have Pagid pads with Brembo rotors on the front of my Golf, and I hate those pads. They are incredibly dusty. I will be replacing them next week, even though they are probably good for another 50k miles or more.

skyfox

Does anybody know whether a 1999 Beetle TDI has brake wear sensors on the front? Mine are so worn down that they failed inspection, but I've never seen a light for it!

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
When I replace my fronts I'm going to go with Hawk HPS pads and OEM style rotors. Should cost me $110 if you look at the right place. They'll be real easy to replace. It should take a good mechanic less than an hour to change both, so I wouldn't pay more than $80 for labor.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Do you see the icon in your display when the key is in the ON position at startup?

skyfox said:
Does anybody know whether a 1999 Beetle TDI has brake wear sensors on the front? Mine are so worn down that they failed inspection, but I've never seen a light for it!

skyfox

No, I don't see an icon for it. But, there is one that doesn't light up with all the others. I can tell its there because there are icons above and below (on the lower left).

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
skyfox said:
No, I don't see an icon for it. But, there is one that doesn't light up with all the others. I can tell its there because there are icons above and below (on the lower left).
Could be a fluke, if it's not there at startup then it won't light period.

skyfox

When I first bought the car I pulled one of the relays to kill daytime running lights. Maybe that killed the brake wear light too!

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
I thought you just had to bend a pin to do that in the light switch not that I would, nothing wrong with daytimes although I think they should have cut the voltage on them to save bulb life a bit.