Aftermarket (Alpine) nav system compatibility w/OEM RVC?

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Hi, all.

I've finally reached my breaking point with the RNS-510, and I've decided to replace it. I've more or less decided on this one.

My question is this: can I use the OEM rearview camera, or will I have to replace it with an aftermarket camera?

Follow-up question if the latter is the case: How easy/difficult would it be to retrofit this camera into the space currently occupied by the OEM camera?

TIA!

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
There are some options available on the web, not sure if any of them actually work:

http://www.navlinkz.de/en/Interface...actory-RVC-LOW-to-after-market-head-unit.html

http://www.navlinkz.de/en/Interface...C-LOW-to-after-market-head-unit-pnp-oxid.html

Best bet would be to buy with a credit card, and if it doesn't work, to just file a chargeback.

As for your other question, I would instead just leave the stock harness inside the trunk and put the blank button that was used in 2012, and mount the camera wherever...OR have a plastic block/plug made to mount that camera in and seal the hole.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I would think the OEM camera would work, as for the radio I am also in your boat ready to pull out my 315, but I am waiting for the next generation of App radios with apples IOS8 screen mirroring.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
The OEM RVC outputs a RGB video signal. Most, if not all after market head units utilize a composite video (yellow RCA) video signal. There are video converters available to convert the RGB video to composite for whatever head unit you install. You could also look for a highline RVC that would normally use the controller unit (that provides bending guide lines) as it outputs a composite video signal to the controller, which converts it to RGB for the head unit. However, it has fakra coax connectors, so some adaption would be required in the connectors.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Related question, if anyone knows:

Will I need an adapter for the factory GPS antenna? I found adapters online so that the factory Sirius antenna and the integrated AM/FM antenna can be used with an aftermarket tuner, but nothing for the GPS antenna. I'm hoping that means that an adapter isn't necessary, but I want to make sure.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Thanks, JM. Weirdly, prices aren't showing up for me at those links. Probably user error. :)
Does this adapter look like the kind that would work?
It does look like that adapter will work.

Related question, if anyone knows:

Will I need an adapter for the factory GPS antenna? I found adapters online so that the factory Sirius antenna and the integrated AM/FM antenna can be used with an aftermarket tuner, but nothing for the GPS antenna. I'm hoping that means that an adapter isn't necessary, but I want to make sure.
I'm going to save you a WHOLE BUNCH of trouble:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/RADIO_VOLKSWAGEN_PASSAT_2012_2013.html

The second link I believe is the GPS adapter wire you need. And while their prices may seem a little high, they do all the wiring for you. You tell them what head unit you're buying and they do up a custom wiring harness for you.

Last edited:

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I really appreciate it, JM!

The PAC RP4-VW11 is the factory integration adapter that Crutchfield recommends on their site for that HU and my Passat, so I'm very pleased that I was barking up the right tree there. :) One nice thing is that they provide a 50% discount on the adapter if you buy the HU from them, so it's only $80. They also throw in the AM/FM antenna adapter.

So it looks like I'll just need to order the HU (with included AM/FM antenna adapter) and factory integration adapter from Crutchfield, the above-linked RVC adapter from China, and the GPS and Sirius adapters from Enfig. That's not too bad at all.

EDIT: And the SiriusXM tuner as well.

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I really appreciate it, JM!

The PAC RP4-VW11 is the factory integration adapter that Crutchfield recommends on their site for that HU and my Passat, so I'm very pleased that I was barking up the right tree there. :) One nice thing is that they provide a 50% discount on the adapter if you buy the HU from them, so it's only $80. They also throw in the AM/FM antenna adapter.

So it looks like I'll just need to order the HU (with included AM/FM antenna adapter) and factory integration adapter from Crutchfield, the above-linked RVC adapter from China, and the GPS and Sirius adapters from Enfig. That's not too bad at all.

EDIT: And the SiriusXM tuner as well.
Just double check that everything Crutchfield is selling matches Enfig.

I know for the Jetta, they recommend (and "include for free") the wrong type of AM/FM adapter. Most likely it's just due to the 2010 being a bastard-child of two generations (Mk5 with MK6 electronics).

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
This is for the Mk5, but is still very useful for figuring out the basics. It is how I even know about Enfig to begin with:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170712

They seem to recommend the Connects2 interface, which is what Enfig sells. The PAC one works as well, but it requires three modules.

Personally, I'm waiting to see how the Maestro RR turns out before I pull the trigger on anything.

Last edited:

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
After talking with my local install guy, I've decided to get the Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX rather than the Alpine, because apparently the Alpine is having some lockup/crash problems. Though those will almost certainly be fixed by firmware updates, since the two units are a toss-up functionality-wise, I'll go with the Pioneer.

Anyway, I have pretty much all of the parts either ordered or pending. I really hope that RVC adapter works - it's pretty much my only hope, otherwise I'll have to buy one of the camera/trunk handle assemblies and hope that the camera is good quality.

Just for the hell of it, I looked up how much the RNS-510 costs. MSRP is apparently $5719.99! :eek: :eek: :eek: I don't feel quite so bad about spending ~$1500 on a replacement all of a sudden. :D

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Ah, cool. I saw on the Keffer site that remanufactured ones were going for about that. It makes sense that the secondary market has new ones at that price point.

I was wondering about map updates. Hopefully it won't be $200 per, but we'll see when the time comes. They do have a guarantee that you'll have current maps when you buy it, so they'll give you one free update if yours are outdated at purchase time.

EDIT: A quick look at their site reveals that their price is $120. I can live with that every couple of years.

Last edited:

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I now have everything in-hand except for that blasted RVC adapter. It finally showed up in China Post's system yesterday, so there's still a small hope that I'll get in time to have it installed prior to my trip to Manhattan on the 25th. If not, NBD, the 510 will still get me there.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
In looking at the installation manual, it says that it can't be installed in a car that doesn't have an "accessory" ignition position. Since my car has KESSY (with its weird accessory mode), I hope that isn't an issue; there's no indication anywhere that it's not compatible - Crutchfield says it's fine, for example.

EDIT: Specifically, Crutchfield classifies it as a Passat with the Fender audio system, and AFAIK there are no models that have the Fender system but not KESSY.

Last edited:

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray
I don't have kessy in my car but I think what they're saying with the accessory mode is that the radio won't stay on when the car is shut down, I know mine doesn't do this and some people really hate that but I don't particularly mind it. I have the avic x850bt in my car using the rp4vw11 interface.

Someone found for me this adapter to use oem camera with aftermarket radio too. But I haven't ordered it yet, nor the camera.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1737938580.html?tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

Last edited:

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
In reading some threads around the 'tubes, it sounds like the PAC takes care of this issue.

Basically, without an ACC mode, the HU would be powered full-time, which would drain the battery. In our cars, it appears to be controlled by CANBUS, so you need something that interacts with that (a PAC or Maestro RR, for example) rather than just a plain old wiring harness.

The other option would be to connect the red lead to the fusebox rather than the power lead that's behind the HU.

That's the same RVC adapter I ordered. I'll let you know if it works.

EDIT: According to this page, the PAC does indeed provide the 12V ACC wire. Whew.

Last edited:

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
after market hookups

Personally, I'm waiting to see how the Maestro RR turns out before I pull the trigger on anything.
this is the one i want as well since it retains all stock wiring you can swap back factory when u want to trade in. it also allows gauges on some kenwood and alpine radios.

Ron

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
this is the one i want as well since it retains all stock wiring you can swap back factory when u want to trade in.
Hrm. I'm planning on swapping the RNS-510 back in at trade/sale time, so I should probably mention that to the installer. I'm sure I'll be using him for that job, too, provided this one goes well.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The RVC adapter just showed up on the USPS site. It was processed through a processing center in New Jersey - the same one that my Enfig stuff came through, in fact. Hopefully it will arrive early next week (Monday would be ideal, but Tuesday would be OK too) so that I can get everything installed.

I'll report back with information on whether the adapter worked, and if there were any other gotchas that were encountered during the install.