After market solution

WolfPack

TDI
2013 Passat tdi
After reading through several pages of turbo failures on the NMS I can't help but wonder if someone is working on an aftermarket turbo? I understand that this is still a some what new engine but it seems like there is a market for the product. Just about all versions of tdi have had their own issues but most seem to have a readily available aftermarket solution.
So my question is has anyone seen or heard of a bolt-on turbo kit for the NMS yet?

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
You bet there's a market for a better turbo on the NMS. Now if somebody would only manufacture one, they'd sell like hotcakes if they were any good.

Ray Khan

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I are you looking for an oem equivalent or something that flows more? For the second the real issue is going to be a shop that can handle sourcing the hardware and who can tune and provide options for various ecu's.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passet SEL Premium
More than likely a turbo already exists. Or the components already exist. It's a matter of development time, matching the flow characteristics of both sides to the engine, etc. And then you have to warranty it.

The 2.0L diesel is the "go-to" engine all over Europe. They are literally everywhere there. I'm surprised we don't already see a kit. Then again - many companies will not sell products into the US market for liability reasons - that could also be a factor.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
If your concern is premature failure of the turbo, so far it's looking good for the replacement model that is being put into late production 2013 and 2014 cars.

If you're looking for more performance, then you need to figure out how much more flow you need and select a turbo from the many available in the aftermarket.