AFN rebuild: ALH parts?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
I want to rebuild my engine internals: rods,pistons,rings,valves,guides,lifters,camshaft and other parts...I will buy Rosten rods and Nural pistons for my goal...
Are the ALH head parts(valves,guides,camshaft,lifters...) the same than AFN parts? Rosten and Tdi-parts sells a lot of ALH parts at good price... if not, where i can get AFN parts at those prices?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Hey satiro, we still need to optimze that software for you ;)

I would go for pd130/150 pistons and rosten pd100 rods, definatly studs for the man bearing caps

I guess oil squirters will be difference with pd style pistons..

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
Hey satiro, we still need to optimze that software for you ;)

I would go for pd130/150 pistons and rosten pd100 rods, definatly studs for the man bearing caps

I guess oil squirters will be difference with pd style pistons..
Yeah! i hope to have the epromer in one week:)

I don't want to machine the block for PD pistons, and the oil squirters problem... My max power goal is 200-215hps when i will have an 11mm IP, stock pistons hold that power without problems, i want to change my pistons for new ones beacouse there's a lot of miles on them and compression lost... How many power aprox can handle an engine with 1.9TDI stock size NURAL pistons,Rosten steel rods and ARP2000 main cap bolts?

when i can get new AFN camshaft at good price?

Last edited:

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
Use the ASV pistons they are plug and play and better then AFN.
Keep the doble springs per valve setup and use the rosten rods.

What happend to your engine?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
ArturCosta said:
Use the ASV pistons they are plug and play and better then AFN.
Keep the doble springs per valve setup and use the rosten rods.

What happend to your engine?
ASV pistons are 0.5mm oversized than AFN, is necessary to machine the block...

No problems with my engine,car runs like a bullet, only 300.000kms on it and thinking to add 11mm IP for 200-215hps...:D

where to get an AFN camshaft ?

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I have some of them.. but if you always used good oil I'd be suprised if there would be any signs of excessive wear on yours, replcing the lifters is always a good idea you can use hardned PD lifters..

you don't need to buy oversized pistons offcourse.. but it's a good idea anyway if there's wear on the block as it is now..

also check bearing for the intermedate shaft.. would be vry bad if it failed just after you overhauled the engine..

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
I have some of them.. but if you always used good oil I'd be suprised if there would be any signs of excessive wear on yours, replcing the lifters is always a good idea you can use hardned PD lifters..

you don't need to buy oversized pistons offcourse.. but it's a good idea anyway if there's wear on the block as it is now..

also check bearing for the intermedate shaft.. would be vry bad if it failed just after you overhauled the engine..
I will be interested in one of your AFN camshaft...PD lifters? Have they the same size than AFN? Rostens sells lifters with 30% less weight than OEM, i thought to buy them...
wich's the intermediate shaft bearing? do you know the OEM number for it?

is it very common block wear in a 300.000km street use engine with correct oil and changes interval? I will open the engine, if there's wear, i will go to the machine shop with my block and i will buy ASV pistons, if there isn't wear, i will buy OEM Nural pistons.

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
you can buy asv pistons in OEM size too...

the wear fully depends on the use (calm warming up) and the maintanance (oil, air filter), I've seen good engines with that miles with still the honing marks on the cylinder walls, also seen engine with 100.000km were you could clearly feel an edge at the top of the bore..

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
You cant get the intermediate shaft bearings from Vw since they are custom. The shafts do have a tendency to brake the lip too so its the weakest point in 028 based engines.

PD lifters are shorter than VE so you should use them with longer valves or lash caps.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
didn't experience that in my engine.. alough my valves were more than long enough.. lifter have approx 4mm playload

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
I saw a PD cam and VE lifters yesterday ;) Some shop had used wrong lifters and all of them were totally destroyed.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Hannu, especially for you I went out to measure PD and VE lifters and they are exaclty equal in height when not compressed.. close to 19mm..

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Thanks for that. It might be that the lifters in that car werent even meant for Vw...

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
wich are the necessary mods/parts for to fit OEM size ASV pistons in AFN block?
Hey Rub, then is possible to install PD lifters without mods or longer valves?

About the intermediate shaft,what to do?

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Satiro said:
wich are the necessary mods/parts for to fit OEM size ASV pistons in AFN block?
Hey Rub, then is possible to install PD lifters without mods or longer valves?

About the intermediate shaft,what to do?
The ASV pistons fitted my engine plug and play I just ordered bigger ones because I wanted to , there are stock size available.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
ArturCosta said:
The ASV pistons fitted my engine plug and play I just ordered bigger ones because I wanted to , there are stock size available.
ASV is a VE engine? then the oil squirters are the same,isn't?

Last edited:

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Satiro said:
ASV is a VE engine? then the oil squirters are the same,isn't?
I have to search for the piston boxes but it said ASV/ another engine code and it fitted my engine plug and play. Oil squirter are in the same place.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, then the ASV stock size pistons seems to be the best option.

Wich's the problem with the intermediate shaft bearing?how to fix it?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
first message from new phone :eek:

I guess it's better to open up the engine and measure the bore up to see if its useful to use stock size pistons...

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey RUB, you said me that when i rebuilt my engine, check the intermediate shaft bearing but...where to get that bearing?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
don't know, never checked it myself but I've heard from others that it might take your engine with it when it fails, especially on high mileage engine whit a big pump head.. hannu probaly knows more about it..

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Few machine shops around here have made the outer bearings by machining some larger bearing to fit. Actually I can get them from few different sources. The outer bearing can be replaced with the engine still in the car but the inner is a no go.

Bear in mind that the shaft itself is weak and can brake. Mate found out it while changing the belt. The shaft had alot play and when he took it out the outer lip fell from the shaft! Lucky him it didn't brake loose while driving and sieze or pull the belt of line.

We destroyed one 1.6td because some previous owner had messed up with the itremediate shaft pulley. the belt got unaligned and the tightener wheel eat half of it. No wonder the belt jumped at 5500rpm...

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, after take a look at the Rosten's page, valve springs are indicated for ALH/ASV engines... will fit ASV parts in AFN too than ALH parts? ASV parts seems to be the best of the VE engines...are they? or head parts are the same beetween ALH and ASV?

After some suggestions my buy list looks so:
-ASV pistons
-Forged Rods with ARP's from Bora-Parts
-ASV/ALH valve springs from Rosten
-ALH valves and guides
-PD lifters?
-AFN or ASV camshaft???

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
if you want, I have a set of new asv valves.. came out of my new head when I put something bigger inside, also have both camshafts.. pd lifters can be bought anywhere

is ordering rods from use cheaper than from rosten?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
if you want, I have a set of new asv valves.. came out of my new head when I put something bigger inside, also have both camshafts.. pd lifters can be bought anywhere

is ordering rods from use cheaper than from rosten?
Ok, i will send you a message for those parts,thanks:)

No, i don't order anything yet, i want to have the best information about of it,i want to have one buy list with your suggestions.

Rods are IE Rods from BleachedBora,some people here say that they are better than Rostens...are they? price difference is only 100€...

Last edited: