AEM CAI for TDI - Anyone installed one of these?

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
bencarr23

he has a nice spiffy red one. it's purty. i might get me one too after i complete more beneficial mods....:D

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Thanks, I have some upgrades that will be taking place shortly: 17/22 turbo, injectors, lift pump, PP dp, decat, upgraded RC tune, etc

Just looking at intake options.

Where exactly does the air filter terminate/pull air from on the AEM system? Kinda looks like it is behind/below the drivers side headlight.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
been running mine for 4 years with no water i dont drive thru 2 1/2 feet of water. and I did that vac thing 4 years ago LOL.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Diesel_Benz said:
That junk is known as a "Cold Water Intake".
we all know your opinion on non-oem intakes... let it go..

Ask MrChill about cold water intakes... he's got a factory intake on his and guess what? he took on water and is now rebuilding an engine.. so get your "facts" straight before you say something... ANY intake is a cold water intake under the right circumstances...

I'm currently running a stock airbox and paper filter, without the snorkel.. It works fine.. I don't believe I'll gain anything by going with anything else..

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
That is purty. Nice looking engine compartment. Thanks for posting the pics. Where exactly is the air filter located, below the battery box?

Dieselbenz, if I followed popular opinion, I'd believe that running the K&N filter would kill my MAF. Fortunately, I'm one of the few that can follow directions when cleaning and re-oiling the filter and have been running a K&N for several years now without incident. Go figure...

I think this design makes more sense than the AFE open airbox design and I fail to see how it is going to pull in any more water than the OEM design unless you're testing the TDI's flotation capabilities.

Cold water intake does sound kinda cute though.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
ANOTHER option (so I hear) for some of the higher-level RC tunes is the R32 airbox, snorkel, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong someone but I believe it is larger diameter and looks stock but outflows stock with more volume. Not sure about increased velocity though...

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
also with the aem you get the dry filter element no no more oil. and it draws from the space between your front bumper and you wheel well. you can open up the vents on your lower driver side grill to bring in more air. I love mine and it sounds good

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
maybe insulate it too then you have a true cold air intake.

it's in an ideal spot....and most of us don't play oregon trail with our cars and attempt to ford the river.

...i hire the indian :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The R32 DSG/PD150 intake combination is a good OEM way to improve air flow.

What I worry about with CAIs is getting tuning to match the air volume and velocity. I suppose if you use a stock MAF the tune will be OK. But this is what kept me from doing an aftermarket CAI in my track day Golf.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
IndigoBlueWagon said:
The R32 DSG/PD150 intake combination is a good OEM way to improve air flow.

What I worry about with CAIs is getting tuning to match the air volume and velocity. I suppose if you use a stock MAF the tune will be OK. But this is what kept me from doing an aftermarket CAI in my track day Golf.
You can just get a "MAF delete" tune and it would be ok, right?

Aren't some running the R32 MAF or VR6 one with the R32 box and snorkel?

Guess I'm confused how it would make a difference with a bigger OEM setup vs. a MAF delete and CAI...

Diesel_Benz

Banned
TDI
Mercedes
TDIJetta99 said:
we all know your opinion on non-oem intakes... let it go.
Grow up. The man asked for information about that cold water intake and I gave him the straight and most important known fact about it.

so get your "facts" straight before you say something
I strongly suggest you follow your own "advice" here instead of being a hypocritical troll again.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
C'mon benz... TDI..99 made a simple point about any intake system being capable of ingesting pure water, but it's obviously only possible if you are stupid enough to submerge the intake horn underwater. Surely you cannot refute that point. You tirelessly spew hatred about any company or individual dumb enough to change their factory intake, but the tirade is unwarranted. We're tired of hearing it. You aren't helping. Many, many people successfully run aftermarket intakes. The data is out there.

Trolling is generally defined as being a dick on the internet. When someone posts a naive or newb question you come off negative instead of offering more constructive advice.

Back on topic, OP, I upgraded my intake, airbox and MAF housing for about $70. My intake upgrade The AEM system is nearly $300!! The stock air filter is DEFINITELY adequate in terms of size and flow. Just enhance the breathing to it yourself for cheap! But the most important intake tract upgrade is the turbo intake pipe anyway. (also called and oldman intake or OMI).

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
haha.

i would go blue or silver. i think the paint drives the cost up but it IS really good ear and eye candy....and maybe a +2hp who knows.....:D

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
shizzler said:
C'mon benz... TDI..99 made a simple point about any intake system being capable of ingesting pure water, but it's obviously only possible if you are stupid enough to submerge the intake horn underwater. Surely you cannot refute that point. You tirelessly spew hatred about any company or individual dumb enough to change their factory intake, but the tirade is unwarranted. We're tired of hearing it. You aren't helping. Many, many people successfully run aftermarket intakes. The data is out there.

Trolling is generally defined as being a dick on the internet. When someone posts a naive or newb question you come off negative instead of offering more constructive advice.

Back on topic, OP, I upgraded my intake, airbox and MAF housing for about $70. My intake upgrade The AEM system is nearly $300!! The stock air filter is DEFINITELY adequate in terms of size and flow. Just enhance the breathing to it yourself for cheap! But the most important intake tract upgrade is the turbo intake pipe anyway. (also called and oldman intake or OMI).
Thanks for posting pics of your upgrade. I also like the pics of Fenwicks upgrade, really easy to see where he routed the flexible tubing. Isn't Fenwicks setup routed similar to the AEM system routing with the exception of the AEM system eliminating the airbox for more of a ram air charge?

I already installed an OMI when I replaced the EGR with a race pipe, cleaned the intake and upgraded to Bosch .205 injectors and the RC2+ tune.

I'm not quite following Peter on the ECU tuning difficulty due to the higher velocity and volume of air flow produced by the AEM style CAI.

Is there that much benefit to be had by insulating the OMI or the ducting leading up to the MAF? I would have thought the intake air is moving fast enough through the duct work not to be effected by the temperature of the ducting material.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
I think i paid 200 on e-bay and people pay more for side skirts that do nothing. I think these let the turbo breath easier and soun dgood on top of looking good and freeing up room in the engine bay. thats more than the side skirts i bought can say.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Tunes use the MAF reading as an input to fueling and boost levels. It's only a number, and with a larger MAF such as the PD150 the ECU will see lower numbers because the MAF is moving air at a lower velocity, even though the volume is larger. The tuner has to adjust air tables to the lower velocity to get fueling and boost to be appropriate.

When I updated my wagon to the PD150 MAF and intake it was laggy until I had it retuned for the lower air velocity. Now it's fine.

My point is that for most tuners the stock airbox/MAF or the PD150 airbox/MAF are known and they probably have air tables for them. Maybe not for an aftermarket one. But as I mentioned above, if the MAF size is stock or PD150 size maybe it doesn't matter.

Air is generally a good thing, but the car has to be programmed for it to take full advantage. To me it's like upgrading to VNT-17 without a re-tune. You won't get any more power unless you program for it.

Oh, and MAF delete, or speed/density air estimates work pretty well in some cars with some tunes, not so much in others. The '99.5 Golf ran great without a MAF. My '02 doesn't run anywhere near as well without as with.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diesel_Benz said:
Grow up. The man asked for information about that cold water intake and I gave him the straight and most important known fact about it.
Ummm.... You are stating YOUR OPINION about the intake, not fact... And you know as well as I do that the stock intake can very well be a cold water intake in the right situations..

Diesel_Benz said:
I strongly suggest you follow your own "advice" here instead of being a hypocritical troll again.
Ok how the hell am I being hypocritical??? Please explain that one to me...

what "advice" have I given and why is it in quotes?? I've never advised anyone of what intake they should use on their car. I've told people a thousand times that the stock airbox is sufficient for most TDI's, it's that stupid OEM snorkel/snowscreen that's too small and restrictive for anything larger than a stock turbo..

I simply state what I'm using so YOU don't think I'm promoting something that I use. YOU are the only one attacking me about it.. YOU and ONLY YOU. I don't use an aftermarket air filter because I don't need it for my setup, I don't feel it's necessary in my application.. I don't particularly care about what my engine compartment looks like.. If I wanted something pretty I would have an aftermarket intake plumbed in there. cause guess what?? THEY WORK weather you want to admit it or not..

If you look closely at my engine compartment you'll notice that even though I have the stock filter box and paper filter, I don't have a cold air intake.. It pulls warm air from inside the engine compartment.. I can blast through 8-10" of water at 50mph and not have to worry about any water coming into my intake system.. I actually end up blasting through a 6" deep mud puddle whenever we get any significant rain.. I put my Jetta through more crap than 95% of the people on this forum and my intake is the way it is because of this..

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Guys, thanks for the MAF info. Sounds like if I decide to go with the AEM setup/stock MAF and the upgrades I previously mentioned, Jeff should be able to retune the ECU without any problem. Possibly RC4 or RC5.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diesel_Benz said:
I'm going to follow my own advice and simply not read your post since I'm tired of watching you throw a tantrum over nothing.
dude I'm not throwing a tantrum... I really get a kick out of ruffling people's feathers... especially when they tout their opinions as facts..

Any particular reason you refuse to answer my seemingly simple questions?

Paul7878

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Diesel_Benz said:
That junk is known as a "Cold Water Intake".
This is why the bright folks at AEM invented the Bypass Valve

By the way, AEM is the one of the best, if not the best, at engineering a product that fits and performs perfectly. So I don't think that junk is a real valid term here.

I don't use one on this car, just have stock, but I have used them on others and the R&D that is put into their products is top notch. I would have to say that even if you don't agree with a certain type of product, that should not be used synonymously with a certain product manufacturer.

By the way, it looks great!