Advice

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Ok so Jetta going to the new owner tomorrow. Meaning I'll be using the Jeep on a daily basis, it has been reconditioned and running good.

At 275k kms it now has no problems. I need advice on what proactive preventive maintenance can I do to ensure this diesel is free of emission/oil/soot clogging issues down the road ???

Should I spend another $1000 to get a tune with dpf/egr delete and straight pipe or should I just wait for them to fail or issues to occur and save the money for now. Will or can dpf/egr left untouched, casue intake clogging or other catastrophic issues down the road??

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Buy something better and sell me the jeep. You don't want it :)

But for real, I thought the 07-08 Jeep CRDs didnt have the dpf system?

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
X2, i'll take the cherokee off your hands ;)

Are you going to be doing alot of short drives or highway?

If Highway then i wouldn't worry, but short drives aren't good for DPF systems

Buy something better and sell me the jeep. You don't want it :)

But for real, I thought the 07-08 Jeep CRDs didnt have the dpf system?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Delete and tune AND THEN when the emission test changes you'll be running around like a beadless chicken.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha thanks, sorry the car payment free feeling is too good for a change so.....

mrrhtuner, yes it has the pre scr i.e no adblue dpf system...

redneckdzl, 50% highway 50% short haul, even highway is stop and go for me Mississauga to Markham and back so....

So tempted to do delete and tune if wife permits lol....

imo000, is something changing with the emission system ?? I'm under the impression the OBD II test only looks for CEL or Errors or systems showing NOT READY etc, the delete takes care of that ?? Physical checks are not done. Am I wrong? or is there something coming in the next few years like new changes??

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Haha thanks, sorry the car payment free feeling is too good for a change so.....

mrrhtuner, yes it has the pre scr i.e no adblue dpf system...

redneckdzl, 50% highway 50% short haul, even highway is stop and go for me Mississauga to Markham and back so....

So tempted to do delete and tune if wife permits lol....

imo000, is something changing with the emission system ?? I'm under the impression the OBD II test only looks for CEL or Errors or systems showing NOT READY etc, the delete takes care of that ?? Physical checks are not done. Am I wrong? or is there something coming in the next few years like new changes??
I remember when the TDIs went from a visual etest to a plug in and people that had tunes or deleted systems were running around like maniacs. :)

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
The big issue with the 3.0L is intake runners flaps that get sooted up, that and the swirl actuator that controls those flaps can fail. They are expensive to replace and a big pain in the butt to repair. The glow plug system is fairly bad also, modules are common and glow plugs seize in the heads bad. That's pretty much it, we work on allot of 3.0L sprinter vans at work.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
The big issue with the 3.0L is intake runners flaps that get sooted up, that and the swirl actuator that controls those flaps can fail. They are expensive to replace and a big pain in the butt to repair. The glow plug system is fairly bad also, modules are common and glow plugs seize in the heads bad. That's pretty much it, we work on allot of 3.0L sprinter vans at work.
I guess it depends on how they're being driven. For example my father in laws 2009 E320 CDI/Bluetec [no adblue] model same engine went into limp mode a year after he retired and car was used by a family member back and forth to go station less then 10 kms a day. Independent mechanic charged $3500 to replace intake components that apparently are plastic material and cannot be cleaned. This happened when car had 160k kms. My Jeep however had 275k kms, previous/first owner used to commute from Barrie to Whitby, all hwy. It had P0234 code with CEL when I picked it up. Got a $200 re-built actuator and problem resolved. Changed all fluids, got the leaking fuel tank fixed and its running great. The AC doesn't work, recharged the gas but there's a leak somewhere. I'm not going to bother spending money on it. So at this point what can I do to prevent "sooting up" from happening. I drive 50 hwy 50 city.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I guess it depends on how they're being driven. For example my father in laws 2009 E320 CDI/Bluetec [no adblue] model same engine went into limp mode a year after he retired and car was used by a family member back and forth to go station less then 10 kms a day. Independent mechanic charged $3500 to replace intake components that apparently are plastic material and cannot be cleaned. This happened when car had 160k kms. My Jeep however had 275k kms, previous/first owner used to commute from Barrie to Whitby, all hwy. It had P0234 code with CEL when I picked it up. Got a $200 re-built actuator and problem resolved. Changed all fluids, got the leaking fuel tank fixed and its running great. The AC doesn't work, recharged the gas but there's a leak somewhere. I'm not going to bother spending money on it. So at this point what can I do to prevent "sooting up" from happening. I drive 50 hwy 50 city.
Italian tune up, once a week i would recommend.