Advice on whether to keep or trade-in 2012 JSW Manual

Resplendentkittens

TDI
2012 Jetta SW Manual
I have a 2012 JSW Manual with about ~100k miles. The AC has stopped working and will need a new compressor (which the dealership estimated as a roughly $2500 repair). With the AC issue the trade-in value was put at ~$4k.

I love my wagon but have been getting a lot of conflicting advice about whether repairing the AC and keeping the car, or just trading it in and getting something else, would be better. Other than needing the compressor it is in fantastic shape, and I've kept it regularly taken to the dealership for upkeep. I only got it around 2.5 years ago with ~50k miles, so I was hoping to not say goodbye to it yet

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Your sportwagen is currently worth over $10k. The dealership is trying to scam you.

get it fixed somewhere else for less $$ and sell it yourself. The prices on these cars is crazy now, don’t get taken advantage of.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
When one wants a new car, it doesn't take much to convince them that they NEED a new car.

It is almost always far less expensive to repair what you have (and are basically satisfied with) than to buy new. Don't let the Dealer convince you that you are better off spending $30k instead of $2.5k.

I have spent thousands over 8 years maintaining my old W123 Benz, worth about $5k because I simply preferred driving it to anything else.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
You absolutely sure it needs a new compressor, or is that a dealership telling you you do, and a change of blinker fluid?

Lots of cases of RCV(N280) fails, which just require a new valve, even aftermarket works. Do a search to learn more about it.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
when I had my RCV done it was about $250. The Dealers dont change RCV's because its not in the book as an orderable part, so they change the entire compressor.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Even if you get rid of it.. don't trade it in to those guys.. private party. Carvana or some place like that. They do seem to be going for more than before. I figured it would happen, reason I got picked one up when I did.