advice on new purchase

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I"m trying to decide between 11 golf or 11 Jetta. Golf still made in Germany, Jetta Mexico. Jetta re-design this year. What else besides the interier did they cheapen on the Jetta. Suspension same etc? Drove both, no real differance imo. Opting for a manual 6spd.

marc77777

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf GTI black/black
As I mentioned in a another post, if I had a do over it would be the golf instead of the jetta...or better yet, wait until next year, maybe they'll have the issues sorted out by the time the 2012's come out.
I prefer the look of the jetta but I think the golf is the better car overall at least for the 2011's

just my 2 cents

p.s. Most of the things they "cheaped out" on are cosmetic from what I know, except the rear suspension IS different. Carpeting full trunk, the way the rear trunk opens, prop rod for hood instead of gas shocks, windshield washer fluid low indicator light...you get the idea. Wherever they could save a nickel!!

Last edited:

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
buy whichever makes you happy, stop listening to others. Everyone has an openion.

I have both, 2010 Golf DSG and 2011 Jetta 6spd both TDI's. I love both. I prefer the jetta better. But thats just my personal preference. Jetta has 3" of more leg room for rear, i have a 3 yr old and that helps. Jetta has a huge trunk which again helps with the kid's stuff. Rides lot better on the highways bc of the longer wheel base. I've put 22000kms on the jetta and seats are the fate leather stuff they are holding lot better then the golf. Also the seat heater and instant heat works faster in the Jetta compared to the Golf.

Now on to the Golf, they have used a better materials in the inside, i can hear less wind noise while travelling at highway speeds. prefer the full MFD cluster and buttons on the steering wheel. Back seat is a bit crapped still and smaller trunk hatch area.

Also in Canada the price difference is about 2000$ between the Jetta and Golf, but i hear in US its not that much!

Goodluck with your search!

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Where the vehicle is assembled shouldn't be an issue. Since we are talking about a Jetta TDI sedan, besides interior being cheapened I think it is only suspension on the TDI sedan. I find the TDI sedan interior is fine - although it isn't as nice as the MkVI Golf - I feel the difference is marginal. In regards to te rear suspension on the TDI sedan being a torsion beam setup, I don't think it really doesn't make that big of a difference. I found some articles that had performance specs between the MkV Jetta sedan and MkVI Jetta sedan and they were very close. The car handles and ride great. For the last week we have been hauling around 4 adults in the Jetta and no one has complained or asked for the front seat to move up and the car has ridden beautifully. We aren't talking about the gasser MkVI Jetta sedan here so I won't go into that here.

I see you have already driven both the Jetta TDI sedan and Golf TDI and I think whichever car you purchase should be what you want and what will match your needs. For us, it was between the sedan and wagon. I think a wagon is still in our future to go along with the sedan.

Last edited:

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I put a downpayment today on a 11 Golf, loaded, black on black, man trans, navi, prem audio, zenons, cold weather package etc etc. I"m the only one who drives it and rides in it so room was not an issue.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Also in Canada the price difference is about 2000$ between the Jetta and Golf, but i hear in US its not that much!

Goodluck with your search!
Golfs are $2 grand more? Doesn't that seem a bit like less car for more $$? I know based on the rest of your post that there are pros and cons but I always have thought of the Golf as a little less of the nice comfy daily hwy cruiser. Of course, maybe when my wife test drives the new Jetta, she may feel like its a bit too big compared to our 99.

pipes p

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi dsg
prefer the mkV interior, mkVI extrior, tie breaker for me was interior space of th VI which i needed, dont care much for the hard plastics but can live with it. OVERALL:D

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
Like I said, space not an issue, I'm alone in the car 99% of the time. I like the suspension of the Golf, sound system much nicer and the zenons are cool. I write off 99% of my miles at over 50 cents a mile so a couple of thousand is no big deal. Thanks for the input everyone. I had very little time to do any research since my 05 Passat just popped the engine on Tues. :eek:

pipes p

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi dsg
Like I said, space not an issue, I'm alone in the car 99% of the time. I like the suspension of the Golf, sound system much nicer and the zenons are cool. I write off 99% of my miles at over 50 cents a mile so a couple of thousand is no big deal. Thanks for the input everyone. I had very little time to do any research since my 05 Passat just popped the engine on Tues. :eek:
i say golf tdi or gti then