Advice on Keys, Down to Valet

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Hi everyone, did some searching but couldn't find much useful on the subject.

Lost my fob (only had one, long story) so I'm down to my valet key. This is annoying for a number of reasons, as I'm sure most of you know. It seems like I can either order a new key and have it programmed by the dealer for $130+ or I can order some cheap knock-offs from china for much cheaper that may or may not work.

Does anyone have a lead on OEM key fobs for less than dealer? I thought ECS used to offer them but can't find anymore.

Can I program them myself if I have the demo VAG-COM or am I better off just having the dealer do it?

03CharcoalJettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta
Ive only used the vallet since Ive owned my car. Both of the fob's attachment pieces broke off so I cant really attach them to my keys. Now it feels weird for me to use a key fob.:D

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive only used the vallet since Ive owned my car. Both of the fob's attachment pieces broke off so I cant really attach them to my keys. Now it feels weird for me to use a key fob.:D
Yea, those broke off for me too. Tried gorilla glue, no go. I usually keep the fob in my watch pocket, which works pretty well on most jeans, or deeper if I'm wearing slacks. It's definitely a transition, I think I like the 2003 3-series solution (which is basically our valet key with buttons on the handle) about the best. But it doesn't have the switch-blade action for me to play with all day, lol.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Yea, those broke off for me too. Tried gorilla glue, no go. I usually keep the fob in my watch pocket, which works pretty well on most jeans, or deeper if I'm wearing slacks. It's definitely a transition, I think I like the 2003 3-series solution (which is basically our valet key with buttons on the handle) about the best. But it doesn't have the switch-blade action for me to play with all day, lol.
You can replace the broken part. Just buy a cheap key fob on eBay (or elsewhere) and take the attachment part and switch it to your FOB. Here's about all you need to know (and more) to repair your keys: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/vw-smart-key-remote-replacement.htm

Have Fun!

Don

jtnf

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 B7 Passat
The only Valet Key thought I have is this: When handing your key over to a real, live Valet, put on your best boisterous voice and say "Sure, you can park my car. It never hurts to have a second set of prints on a car!."

If not sufficiently horrified, follow it up with "Don't look in the trunk!"

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I can only add one caution. Just like when the switch in the door lock fails and the car can't tell if the door is open or closed, there is a switch that tells the car when you lock or unlock the door. And it likes to fail with dramatic results. Mostly you can't shut the alarm off.

The cars I see this fail on are usually opened by the mechanical key regularly. Some fail sooner, some last a long time before they fail.

I always suggest people replace their remotes as soon as possible. Saves the drama of the alarm going off at 5am when you leave for work:)

Jason

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
any suggestions for getting a 'cheap fob' off ebay and not ending up with a POS?
I'm not talking about actually using the whole key fob. If all you need is the piece to hook it to a key ring, it really doesn't matter if it even works or not. In the post I was replying to, they already had a working key fob. All they needed was the metal attachment piece where it hooks to a key ring. eBay key fobs can be a problem if you actually need the whole key fob, but I was talking about just using it for parts.

Have Fun!

Don

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
apologies. I misunderstood. I need one whole key+ remote...the veedubkey link looks interesting..

loco_unoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta 5spd TDI Wagon
I have posted on two other threads about this very topic with 2 options for keys. Ones that I used for OEM keys, ebay or a website purchase. Search the forum for the answer.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
I have posted on two other threads about this very topic with 2 options for keys. Ones that I used for OEM keys, ebay or a website purchase. Search the forum for the answer.
I tried, guess I didn't search enough. Will search more.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
thanks...i was just perusing and posted without searching. I'll see what I can find.

EDIT: found this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4096835#post4096835

FYI, just searching for key fob replacement gets a million results that are hard to sift through. I used your name and it pointed me to that link which, BTW, appears to be you chastising somebody for not using the search function. It still didn't get me to the original post I think you're citing.

For such an often-discussed topic with lots of search clouding, provide people with the proper search string. Or, since you posted something so useful, maybe put a link to it in your sig.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Well, I have bullets if anyone needs. They're copper jacketed, so you shouldn't get lead flakes, and they're small, only .223 caliber, so you will probably only break one tooth when you bite it hard... ;)

loco_unoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta 5spd TDI Wagon
Kiva822, sorry it has been an issue finding such information. I am sure you have taken care of this by now but here is the information.

This is the company I purchased the $40 OEM key fob from.
eKeyfobs.com

805 Albin Ave Ste H
Lindenhurst, New York 11757
United States Phone:516-690-6272Website:http://www.ekeyfobs.comEmail:info@ekeyfobs.com

This is the EBAY seller I purchased the $25 OEM key fob from.
Ebay name: yourkeysupplier

Link to auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221041967362...ht_1809wt_1172

My local key cutter said both were the same and cut great!

Farmer17

TDI
'00 Golf
I can only add one caution. Just like when the switch in the door lock fails and the car can't tell if the door is open or closed, there is a switch that tells the car when you lock or unlock the door. And it likes to fail with dramatic results. Mostly you can't shut the alarm off.

The cars I see this fail on are usually opened by the mechanical key regularly. Some fail sooner, some last a long time before they fail.

I always suggest people replace their remotes as soon as possible. Saves the drama of the alarm going off at 5am when you leave for work:)

Jason
yeah i believe this just happened to me... i have to carry all my keys around in my pocket at school so i switched to the valet key because it fit better, now whenever i go to unlock to doors and start the car the alarm goes off and i cant get it to stop. after it finally shuts off, then the power locks dont work and it wont beep when i lock it from the outside. i went back to using the remote and now when i press lock from the outside it will beep and flash to say its locked but the driver side lock wont go down and i have to lock it manually....rather confused as to what caused it to do this :confused:

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
There is a guy on eBay from the UK who cuts key blades and ships them for $13, all from a picture. Works great. He will add a immo chip if you need it. Get a used fob from a part out and put the new key and chip in it and program it.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Kiva822, sorry it has been an issue finding such information. I am sure you have taken care of this by now but here is the information.

This is the company I purchased the $40 OEM key fob from.
eKeyfobs.com

805 Albin Ave Ste H
Lindenhurst, New York 11757
United States Phone:516-690-6272Website:http://www.ekeyfobs.comEmail:info@ekeyfobs.com

This is the EBAY seller I purchased the $25 OEM key fob from.
Ebay name: yourkeysupplier

Link to auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221041967362...ht_1809wt_1172

My local key cutter said both were the same and cut great!
I was able to dig it out from an old post of yours. Great info. I ended up going with the ebay guy. Interestingly, the FOB's cut great but the valet key I bought from the same seller was "difficult", according to the locksmith.

Total for 2 FOB's & Valet key + blanks and keys cut: about $125. There is a chance they forgot to charge me for the valet cut, as their receipt seems a bit low. However, much better than the dealer.

Thanks for the links :)

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
There is a guy on eBay from the UK who cuts key blades and ships them for $13, all from a picture. Works great. He will add a immo chip if you need it. Get a used fob from a part out and put the new key and chip in it and program it.

link?

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
Seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/2277malcolm
Listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-SEAT-A...to-/151007298707?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160
Odd, but the seller doesn't have any listings posted right now. I just ordered it last week, got it yesterday, works great. I don't know why he doesn't have any listings up.
In an Immo3 car you can reuse an old fob but you do have to change out the transponder with a fresh one or do an immo delete (which I did, or cut out a good transponder and glue it to the dash column)

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
yeah i believe this just happened to me... i have to carry all my keys around in my pocket at school so i switched to the valet key because it fit better, now whenever i go to unlock to doors and start the car the alarm goes off and i cant get it to stop. after it finally shuts off, then the power locks dont work and it wont beep when i lock it from the outside. i went back to using the remote and now when i press lock from the outside it will beep and flash to say its locked but the driver side lock wont go down and i have to lock it manually....rather confused as to what caused it to do this :confused:
Part or all of the electric parts in the driver door latch have quit. The actuator motor is not driving the latch any more. And either the door ajar switch is "stuck" in the door closed position or it is still working. The arm/disarm switch appearantly failed as you couldn't turn the alarm off. Just means it's time to replace the driver door latch.

Incidentally you can disarm the alarm from the trunk latch. We have had a couple Jetta customers that did this to shut it up so they could drive the car in for repairs.

Jason