advice on freshening a good code free GMR

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I'm getting a GMR prepped to put in a sedan and wanted advice on what I should do to prep it first. It has 210k miles on it and was code free in VCDS when I pulled it. The engine had a catastrophic bsm failure so I didn't get a chance to test it on the road. My plan is to change fluid and filter and just install it. As most of you know, this big tranny is not an easy install so I don't want to pull it out again if I don't have to. I don't see any seals leaking either.

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
I'm getting a GMR prepped to put in a sedan and wanted advice on what I should do to prep it first. It has 210k miles on it and was code free in VCDS when I pulled it. The engine had a catastrophic bsm failure so I didn't get a chance to test it on the road. My plan is to change fluid and filter and just install it. As most of you know, this big tranny is not an easy install so I don't want to pull it out again if I don't have to. I don't see any seals leaking either.
If the tranny is already pulled from the car. Best bet would be to buy a master rebuild kit and freshen it up. These trannys seem to have a very high failure rate even with good maintenance . It’s just a matter of “when” it will go. If you don’t wanna pull out the tranny again for Atleast 2-300k miles then I’d suggest rebuilding it, fresh fluids and filter and upgrading the torque converter. Also replace the transmission mounts to help with vibration.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
No rebuilding it. Not worth the effort to purchase specialty tools not to mention lack of expertise here. The most I would do is replace the torque converter withan Erikkson and fresh fluid and maybe the input shaft seal.

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
No rebuilding it. Not worth the effort to purchase specialty tools not to mention lack of expertise here. The most I would do is replace the torque converter withan Erikkson and fresh fluid and maybe the input shaft seal.
Sounds like the best way to upkeep it without spending alot of money or time on it. If your current trans is shot and this one isn’t then the few hundred spent on that would definitely take you a lot further with your car without spending serious money. IMO I’d just do a manual swap like I’m currently doing. I’d rather replace a clutch VS rebuilding a entire automatic transmission.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Do an Eriksson torque converter and fluid/filter change and go with it

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
The TC may have already been replaced. Is there a way to tell?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've had good luck with Eriksson in the past so will replace mine with their reman, do a fluid and filter change and be done with it.