advice on deciding between a 11 jetta or 11 golf

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Trying to make a quick decision between a 11 jetta or 11 golf. Golf still made in Germany, Jetta in Mexico. I know they did a overhaul on the 11 jetta. What other than the dash/int did the cheapen on the TDI. Is the suspension the same etc? Don't have a lot of time for research.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
All depends on your needs.

If you want more room/space, go for the JSW. If not, I would choose the Golf because the Golf MKVI TDI has the improved interior and suspension while the JSW MKVI TDI just has what amounts to a face lift. I think the Golf probably handles and performs better, but the JSW has better utility. But coming from a Passat you would likely be comfortable in the JSW too (We also have a B6 wagon). You can also get better options in the Golf like HID headlights and fog lights.

I personally chose the JSW simply because I have two growing tweens and need the extra space.

Last edited:

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Handling (rear suspension), fit/finish, options, fuel economy, cloth = Golf
Price, passenger space (particularly in the back seats), vinyl = Jetta

The Golf has a multilink rear suspension or something, while the '11 Jetta has a less expensive suspension that people say isn't quite as nice. I think the Golf's braking may also be a bit better. I was pleased with the Jetta in the test drive, although I am not a fan of the vinyl interior. I would rather pay for leather.

I don't know much about the JSW, other than that it has the most cargo space and passenger space. It's also the most expensive.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Cargo and passanger space is no big deal. Out of the 161K on my 05 Passat, I would guess 160K was me alone. I was gonna do this next year but getting forced into it due to my BSM chain/guide explosion on the highway yesterday resulting in bent valves, hole in the front case etc that will take me some time to fix. LOL, my daughter will get a nice clean 05 Passat out of the deal though.

keywestbob

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Golf TDi, bye-bye loyal Jetta Wagon, '04
I recently stepped down from a '04 Jetta Wagon I bought new to a '11 Golf, actually has more leg room in back than old Wagon, I like the 6spd manual and it's turning in acceptable mpg considering I'm still following DBW's break in procedure (low 40's). I drove a Jetta Sedan and looked at the JSW and am glad we went with the Golf. Handles great too.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
If you're talking about the Jetta sedan and not the JSW, all I can say is that the Jetta sedan is getting panned in reviews. Over the past week I've read reviews of the Jetta sedan in Consumer Reports as well as another car magazine (either Car & Driver or Road & Track), and the Jetta sedan scored very poorly both times.

So I'd suggest getting either a Golf or a JSW, but not the Jetta sedan. And if cargo space isn't important to you, then I'd say the Golf is the winner.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cargo and passanger space is no big deal. Out of the 161K on my 05 Passat, I would guess 160K was me alone. I was gonna do this next year but getting forced into it due to my BSM chain/guide explosion on the highway yesterday resulting in bent valves, hole in the front case etc that will take me some time to fix. LOL, my daughter will get a nice clean 05 Passat out of the deal though.
Hrmmmm... hate to say I told ya so, but... (you know, it was probably broken around 120k, too... :( ).

I'd probably go for the Golf if you can swallow the higher price for a smaller car. The 2011 sedan is an excellent value, but less-so with the diesel engine, and is still a very new platform that will undoubtedly have some teething issues.

fujii13

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW
Just remember the new '11 Jetta is based off a different platform than the Jetta SportWagen, which is technically the same as a Golf Wagon/Variant every where else in the world.

The new Jetta got absolutely abysmal ratings by consumer reports (dead last place in it's class), even with the 2.5.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/05/volkswagen-jetta-ranked-last-among-small-sedans-by-consumer-r/

I chose the SportWagen because it had the extra room that the Golf didn't provide while not being the made-for-America-only crappy new Jetta. If I didn't need that room, I would have definitely gone with the Golf and gotten an option that wasn't available for the JSW: XENONS! The only thing I would really miss is the absolutely stunning panoramic roof (and loading up the car with a bunch of the guys with all of our stuff for a road or camping trip).

oilhammer

TDI
The other nice thing about the Golf is you can also get the 2 door, which is a little less money and possibly a little sportier looking, as well as having better sideways vision for us taller folks. Just depends if you ever really need easy access to the back seat.

OlDrifter

TDI
2011 Sportwagen Salsa Red
Ya gotta drive them both. I went in with absolutely no doubt in mind that I was going to buy the TDI Golf. After driving it, frankly I was unimpressed with it's fit, comfort, road manners and more. I was ready to pass on VW entirely but decided to drive a TDI JSW DSG before walking away; after all, I WAS already there.

BRILLIANT automobile!! Love at first drive. It had everything the Golf was missing and then some. And as a bonus it's got loads of interior space of course.

Now I know plenty of folks who would disagree so as I said- it's all about what YOU think after driving them both.

Normally I like small, sporty cars for my daily driver. I've had a Miata, Porsche 911, C6 Vette and I currently have an MB SLK280, though it's more of a "nice weather toy" car. So I'm all about 6 spd manuals, performance, handling, etc. But for me at least, the Golf was a flop. It wasn't really "sporty" or "performance" oriented and neither was it luxurious or comfortable or much of a curve-carver. It was just a small econobox.

But I drive my JSW every day and smile every time I get in it. And oddly enough, my wife also likes driving it and in the past week I've had raves from two different women who were riding in it with me including a cute little MILF about half my age. They all raved about the interior finish, pano roof, upholstery, comfort, and color. And they about fell over when I told them I was averaging 35+ mpg too. I've had lots of women rave about my SLK, my 911 and my Vette- but I've NEVER had women rave about a STATION WAGON! LOL!

Last edited:

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
I'd vote for the Jetta Sportwagen or Golf....
I've got a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen and really like it.
I put a sportier suspension on mine and now I've got a wonderfully handling, solid, fun to drive, 40+mpg machine.

The 2011 Jetta Sedan has a nicely designed exterior hiding a sad reality of cost cutting and "good enough" thinking that got GM/Ford/Chrysler in trouble. Just as Ford and GM have got the message that it takes making consistant quality product to sell cars....VW is going for volume and lower quality for the US market.
The 2011 Jetta Sedan as being sold in North America is not the same as in Europe. The Europeans wouldn't buy our crappy new 2011 Jetta sedan.

Consumer Reports called it like it is:

2011 Jetta Sedan = 60 (Previous Jetta got a 76)
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI = 81
2010 Golf = 85
2010 GTI = 85
2010 Tiguan = 80
2010 Passat CC = 82

The 2011 Jetta Sedan:
1. Dash material is now cheap hard plastic vs nice soft material of Golf/JSW
2. No MFD (Multi Function Display)
3. Cheap, plain looking gauges
4. Torsion Beam Rear Suspension vs Independent Rear (as Golf and JSW have)
5. None-adjustable arm rest vs adjustable version on Golf and JSW
6. Cheaper "goose neck" style rear trunk hinges....these typically smash your cargo as your trying to close the trunk.

I'm not hating on VW in general. I'm just so disappointed that VW is going this direction. I LOVE my 2010 JSW TDI and could see myself buying another TDI product in the future....but NOT if the 2011 Jetta Sedan is an indication of what we can expect from VW in the future.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
OK, for the last time, the new Jetta sedan does not have a torsion beam rear axle, it is just a solid axle. It is NOT the torsion beam rear axle that they have been using on most FWD cars since 1974, it is just one solid piece of thick stamped steel with pockets for the coil springs, that's it. Looks very much like what Nissan used on the Maxima/I30 for many years.

And its price reflects its content. Why this is such a shocker to so many people I don't know, but VOA wants to increase sales here, and not every American is in love with a $26,000 Golf. This is why cars like the Altima, Camry, Malibu, Civic, Taurus, Accord etc. sell so well here. And all of those cars are decontented American only or severely Americanized versions, too. The Accord the rest of the world (except China) gets we can only find at the Acura dealer, and it is called a TSX. They don't even sell a Civic in Japan any more.

Last edited:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
OK, for the last time, the new Jetta sedan does not have a torsion beam rear axle, it is just a solid axle. It is NOT the torsion beam rear axle that they have been using on most FWD cars since 1974, it is just one solid piece of thick stamped steel with pockets for the coil springs, that's it. Looks very much like what Nissan used on the Maxima/I30 for many years.

And its price reflects its content. Why this is such a shocker to so many people I don't know, but VOA wants to increase sales here, and not every American is in love with a $26,000 Golf. This is why cars like the Altima, Camry, Malibu, Civic, Taurus, Accord etc. sell so well here. And all of those cars are decontented American only or severely Americanized versions, too. The Accord the rest of the world (except China) gets we can only find at the Acura dealer, and it is called a TSX. They don't even sell a Civic in Japan any more.
curious oilhammer...since I am no mechanic....does the old torsion beam ride better than the new car? what are the advantages or disadvantages of that solid axle (thick piece of stamped steel) VS torsion beam....besides the fact that its cheap to build of course. ....?????

oilhammer

TDI
The old torsion beam worked well enough, and obviously the fully independant rear suspension of the newer cars is even better. However, the length (wheelbase) and width (track) of the car also come into play here. The new Jetta sedan is longer and slightly wider than the A5, so it can easier get away with a less sophisticated rear suspension. But being its curb weight is lighter, it will certainly feel a little more jittery over uneven pavement. I have driven them, and if you pay attention, it drives like most any other car with a solid rear axle. Keep in mind, even the luxo-barges from the domestics generally had solid (live) rear axles, and they ride very nicely. So does the Mustang, save for the Cobra version. Remember, Infiniti was selling a $40k+ 'near luxury' FWD car with a solid axle, nobody complained about that, why complain about a $20k Jetta (that is also 10 years newer).

Most people (Americans) purchasing a new compact-to-midsize sedan do not even know what the different suspensions are, nor would they be likely to even notice one way or the other. The new Jetta sedan represents an excellent value, although less so with the diesel. Personally, I think the 2.0L gas version with a manual transmission, which can be had for around $16k, is an excellent car for the money. It is bigger, roomier, and while it may not feel as upscale as the previous model or the Golf, it certainly does NOT feel 'cheap' by any means. Go drive a current or previous Altima with 80k+ miles on it if you want to know what a really cheap interior feels like, or any ChryCo product made in the last ~5 years (Fiat is changing this dramatically, BTW).

I am glad they offer this version, as it will for the first time in a long time allow more people to put a VW in their garage, and that should make everyone that loves the brand happy.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I'd vote for the Jetta Sportwagen or Golf....
I've got a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen and really like it.
I put a sportier suspension on mine and now I've got a wonderfully handling, solid, fun to drive, 40+mpg machine.

Can you please explain (or a ink) what you did?

I enjoy my JSW and purchased it for all the reasons in this thread.

But I would like to chip it, and add a suspension in the near future. Thanks.....

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
bought an 11 Golf, black on black, roof, navi, zenons, cold weather package with upgraded radio, cargo liner etc. I"d have done without the roof and zenons but they're hard to find. I got it at invoice so I think I did okay. Brandy new, just off the truck today. Build date of 3-11 :D BTW, 6spd manual. No more auto's for me.

Last edited:

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Good move. I drove both a sedan and a Golf, and I liked the Golf much more. If it weren't for the still-unresolved HPFP issue, I'd probably have ordered a white, 2dr Golf TDI on the spot. One of the all-around nicest-feeling cars I've ever driven. Enjoy!

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
bought an 11 Golf, black on black, roof, navi, zenons, cold weather package with upgraded radio, cargo liner etc. I"d have done without the roof and zenons but they're hard to find. I got it at invoice so I think I did okay. Brandy new, just off the truck today. Build date of 3-11 :D BTW, 6spd manual. No more auto's for me.
Good move ??? I say GREAT move brother.
mine is Graphite blue...no xenons or Navi up here but got most everything else....although we get the sucky 16" wheels in canada. the Canadian manufacturers have a new game. our currency is strong so now they show similar pricing but give us way less gear...classic...life in Canada...high taxes, low crime...everything UBER expensive....

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
TDI or gasser?

Either way, nice choice! :cool:

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
But being its curb weight is lighter, it will certainly feel a little more jittery over uneven pavement.
I guess that explains why bumps seemed more pronounced in the Jetta sedan than in the Golf when I test drove them. Still, the things that I don't care for are the lack of the Dynaudio option and the vinyl. If I could get leather in the front seats (or even cloth) and Dynaudio I'd probably get the Jetta over the Golf. But, if I'm paying for a new car I want really good sound. The stock system in the Golf TDI is very good, but the Dynaudio is better.

I'm still debating myself, but I'm probably going to hold off until another 0% deal comes around. I had found a 2010 Golf and wanted to get it with that deal but my spouse was against getting a small car at the time so it sold to someone else. I don't have much money (understatement) and can't really afford to buy new at the moment without something like 0%. I'm not going to get a gasoline vehicle.

I'm not a big fan of the black interior that's offered in the Golf because of heat in summer, and none of the available colors appeal to me much either. But, I want a TDI and VW is the only relatively affordable option at the moment.

Timpackman

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI - 5spd, 2011 JSW 6spd Manual
I'm in the same boat.

Going to be purchasing either a TDI in the next 2-3 months, either a 4dr golf, jetta sedan, or JSW.

I currently drive a 2008 Chevy Malibu

I test drove all three recently, and the jetta sedan felt like way less car than the golf or JSW. It felt like the Jetta was more along the lines of a base model civic, and not a $24K Jetta.

On the other hand the 4dr golf and JSW felt like a real German machine. The interior was much better, and felt like the $25k-ish car that it was.

As of now, I would rather have the golf just for the simple fact that I can get factory HID lights.

I just worry about the smaller size of the golf compared to the JSW and my currect malibu. I guess I can always put a hitch on it and put a rack on the back if i need to.

Ya'lls thoughts?

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
I guess that explains why bumps seemed more pronounced in the Jetta sedan than in the Golf when I test drove them. Still, the things that I don't care for are the lack of the Dynaudio option and the vinyl. If I could get leather in the front seats (or even cloth) and Dynaudio I'd probably get the Jetta over the Golf. But, if I'm paying for a new car I want really good sound. The stock system in the Golf TDI is very good, but the Dynaudio is better.

I'm still debating myself, but I'm probably going to hold off until another 0% deal comes around. I had found a 2010 Golf and wanted to get it with that deal but my spouse was against getting a small car at the time so it sold to someone else. I don't have much money (understatement) and can't really afford to buy new at the moment without something like 0%. I'm not going to get a gasoline vehicle.

I'm not a big fan of the black interior that's offered in the Golf because of heat in summer, and none of the available colors appeal to me much either. But, I want a TDI and VW is the only relatively affordable option at the moment.
Since TDIs hold their value very well, how much do you really think you'll save buying a one-year-old TDI? And often, used car loans are at a higher interest rate than new car loans. One year ago when I bought my Golf, I got a 3% loan. Not 0%, but still a nice interest rate. Granted, I have a stellar credit rating, and I only financed for 36 months.

I guess all I'm saying is to be careful; slightly used might not be a much better deal than new. And if you intend to do things like use fuel additives and/or biodiesel to help protect the fuel pump, a new car will allow you to do these things from the start. With used, there's no telling how the previous owner cared for the car.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI or gasser?

Either way, nice choice! :cool:
TDI, I really didn't care about a sunroof but it came with one and they're hard to come by. It's got every darn option plus port options of mudflaps, cargo liner and rubber mats.

lonniebear

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M 4dr.
Congrats! I just got a graphite blue 4dr last week. love it. don't forget what someone else here said "black isn't a color, it's a part time job"

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats! I just got a graphite blue 4dr last week. love it. don't forget what someone else here said "black isn't a color, it's a part time job"
lol...got graphite as well....just as much of a JOB as black....paint is soft too...shows scratches easily...like black

lonniebear

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M 4dr.
lol...got graphite as well....just as much of a JOB as black....paint is soft too...shows scratches easily...like black
i protested the graphite but the wife really wanted it. oh well, gives me something to do on the weekends.

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
The rattle and squeeks that the Golf gets showed up in the CR survey as a half black dot. By contrast, the JSW got a half red dot for rattles and squeeks. Both the Golf and JSW, however, got a half black dot for the fuel system.

I can vouch for the rattles and squeeks in my Golf especially the creeks from the B-pillars. They are most annoying when I am driving with the radio off. When the radio is on, though, I do not hear them. The creek is mostly heard when the road is rough. Sadly, this seems to be unfixable. I can live with it as long as I am getting the 46-49 mpg that I get almost every tank.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I got a 2dr., maybe it won't have the creaks, on the other hand, my hearing for a 45yo is that of a 70yo due to probably 250,000 miles of riding fairly loud Harley's. :rolleyes: