Advice needed about 2004 Passat TDI with bad trans

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Advice needed about 2004 Passat TDI Wagon with bad trans

I bought a 2004 Passat TDI WAGON GLS with 200k miles several months ago. It had one owner, Carfax certified, every single maintenance done by the dealer. It was due for timing belt, but other than that, it was in awesome condition. Excellent interior, not a ding or scrape, leather in great shape, carpet clean, smelled good, radio worked, tires and brakes good, great power, etc. The only other thing was the glow plug CEL. I got this vehicle for $5500 and had it shipped from Ohio.
Got the vehicle and budgeted $2800 for Balance Shaft Module to be replaced. Drove it for several weeks (about 2000 miles) and was very happy with it, waiting for Robby (runonbeer - Meyerhoff Autohaus) to become available. Took it to him and he did the BSM, timing belt, water pump, and all related work. Got it back from him and drove it to the airport. A week later, drove it home from the airport and on the way home, it clunked and went into transmission limp mode. Robby doesn't do transmission work, but scanned with vagcom and found "excessive clutch slippage" and "mechanical failure". Just to be on the safe side, he replaced the trans fluid, and found a small piece of metal in his pan afterward. He couldn't be sure if that piece of metal was there before the fluid went in, so he didn't charge me for his labor, just the expensive fluid.
Next, I took it to Kenny Hill Automotive in Austin. Kenny Hill, whose policy to charge every person at least $85 for a diagnostic, even when you give them the codes yourself, is very frustrating, immediately drained the expensive trans fluid and said there was a chunk of metal in it. They said it needed to be rebuilt, and quoted $4500 (they ship it off to be rebuilt by someone else). They also threw out the expensive fluid, even though I told them not to change the fluid since I had just done that. They put the Mercon/Dexron stuff "just to get it home", since I was not prepared to have them do the rebuild.
We drove it to Dallas the next week and dropped it off at my wife's uncle, who has done a lot of shadetree mechanic work (although nothing on TDI's). After spending a couple of weeks here and there with it, and taking it to a couple of friends, he was convinced there was nothing wrong with the transmission, but a "sensor or something". We blew $200 on that, and wound up having it towed to Metro VW. They checked the codes and immediately said the trans was bad - and also said that even starting it up with the wrong fluid is enough to warrant a rebuild.
So, here is where I am today. I have taken a job where I ride the bus to work downtown. I no longer need the car. I spent:
$5500 car
$200 title
$500 shipping
$3000 BSM + trans fluid/filter
$300 "diagnosis"
$200 family labor
$60 dealer "diagnosis"
I have found Steve Glover at Technical Diesel Innovations, who has presented the following options:
$3600 to rebuild the transmission, wind up with a 0 mile trans with 36/36 warranty
$560 to install any other transmission I find or he finds (plus the price of the trans plus $300 for service to it). Found trans for $1200, so maybe $2000 for this option. not sure of warranty, but prob 80k miles on that trans.
sell the car as is, without a working trans
On one extreme, it feels like a waste to dump thousands more in a car that has had so much trouble. However, a 2004 Passat in such otherwise great condition, with the BSM already done, with a rebuilt trans, etc. should be a very long lasting vehicle. On the other hand, a vehicle without a working transmission hardly matters that it had some $3000 mod that you can't even test out without replacing the trans!
Please, brothers and sisters, give me your best advice. I really thought I was making a shrewd purchase with this car and it's all gone wrong. My wife is kicking my ass, I'm wasting money with the payments and insurance, and the car is far away from home. Help me get this monkey off my back, but maximize my return (or rather, minimize my loss!).
Thanks to all for what I hope is a very active discussion about the possibilities!

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Any automatic with 200k is probably nearing end of life, so not a big surprise it went out. Sucks though, for sure.

If you can find a used trans with low miles with some sort of guarantee, that seems like a good path. If trans has never been gone into, and works fine, it should get 200k.

You're still not in horrible shape money wise with the car. Not bad enough to be hating it. Get a used trans and all should be well.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
another alternative...buy a low mile running 60k wreck for 2k and put engine and trans in your 200k car using the bsm you already have and have a ton of spare parts to boot.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Several years ago I was in the same situation like you with my wife's '98 Ford Taurus. Only its tranny blew at 71k. We paid at the time 5k for the car and we did put the $2700 dollar fully re-manufactured Ford Transmission into it. We've been extra picky on trans fluid replacement since and we intend to drive this car to death. My Passat I had the fluid changed at 57k by Oilhammer when he did the balance shaft

If I were you I'd have it done. Just stay on top of the maintenance by a guru and you should be fine.

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
But I don't need or want the car at this point and don't intend to drive it. So the question comes down to - rebuild the trans and sell it, put a used trans in it and sell it, or sell it with a bad trans?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You have $10K in it so far. How big of a loss can you stomach? Selling it "as is" won't get you much since it needs a transmission. Even in running condition with a rebuilt/used trans, it still has 200K on it making it a hard retail sale (can't be financed).

I would sell it as is and see what it would get. If it was a wagon, it would be an easier sell since they are in demand.

Good luck!

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Hard to sell a car that does not drive right. So you likely need to get a working tranny to reduce your loss. Or maybe some nut from tdiclub will buy it as is!!

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
My neighbor and I both bought 2005 Passat TDI Wagons brand new. His car had 158,000 km on it, and the tranny grenaded 3 weeks ago. He changed the fluid every 50,000 km (30,000 miles) at the dealership. The mechanic found that the fluid was scorched black, and a piece of metal (probably a shim) was laying in the pan. He got a VW reman. unit that was refurbished in Germany and had it installed for $6700 including all taxes. Expensive? Yes, but cheaper than buying a new comparable car. If it was me, I'd fix it and plan on keeping it for the long haul now. It should be pretty reliable now that you've done the BSM and timing belt.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I think you're only decision at this point is to put a trans in of some condition (used or rebuilt). You'll need to decide whether you're keeping it or not. If you're keeping it then it makes sense to invest in a rebuilt unit or if you're selling it would likely make financial sense to put a known good used unit in.

I feel for you. I'm in the same position with my truck right now.

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Since I've taken a job downtown where I take the bus to work every day, and my wife has a car, I literally do not need a car of my own anymore. So I am 100% sure I am selling the vehicle.

It's just a matter of spending $3600 on a rebuilt trans and selling it, finding a cheap 80k trans and slapping that in there, or selling it as is, with no trans. I think those are my three choices that I'd like advice on at this point.

Keeping it for the long haul is not a choice.

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Two things about putting a used trans in:

1. I'm having trouble convincing my wife that we should spend any money on it at this point. She's in favor of selling it as is (but, of course, has no idea what to offer it for with a bad trans)

2. I was thinking that with the BSM, the crowd that would appreciate that would be more likely to want a longer term fix - and would rather have a trans with 200k of life left in it, instead of 100k in the case of a used one (round numbers, on average).

Perhaps I should offer it for sale and give the buyer their choice...

What would be a good asking price for a vehicle in this condition? A Passat TDI wagon, as was said, is a highly desired vehicle. Certainly one with a BSM, would be something I would get a lot of traction on this forum for. But with the two choices of spending $2000-2500 or $3500-$4000, that's a serious decision and I'm looking for more than "go with option 2 and be done with it".

Anyone have a little insight as to why one option may be better than another - specifically, as it relates to resale value?

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat tdi, 15 Passat TDI SE auto, 06 Sierra 6.6 DMax
Just an opinion here - but that is what you are asking for. You paid $5500 for a vehicle you knew needed a couple of thousand dollars of work needed. You are now wanting to know how much to offer a vehicle that needs a couple of thousand dollars of work - $5500 is a starting point. Personally, there are too many unknowns with this car as a buyer - you mention the glow plug issue but may have left out that was resolved? How? Serviced at dealership - doesn't translate to a positive here on the group. Cam wear? More work needed? Personally, this vehicle is worth more money to you than anyone else. Best of luck with what ever your decision is :) Please let us know how it ends up!

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
If this car were within a reasonable distance from Maine I'd be interested
JMHO, but:
Disregarding trans problem car books for $5300 on KBB,
BHW cams are a known issue and this cars cam condition is unknown
So based on its book value and the work/parts I know I'm going to invest in for me, in present condition its a $2500 car tops. I appreciate the cars service history and definitely value the BSM installation, but investing more then a comparable car can be bought for does not make financial sense.
I'd drive 300-350 miles and tow dolly it home, but Texas is just to far.

FWIW your best market is here or other similar diesel head site. Lots of guys like me that would buy it planning on doing the work themselves willing to take the risk that the end result was worth it.
Hope your not offended but thats my 2 cents.

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
BobZ - the glow plug issue was unresolved. These vehicles have a known problem with the ceramic plugs and the long term solution is to replace with steel plugs and reflash the ECU; however, some of them get stuck or break on the way out, so there is some risk. I have been told by most to just leave it alone. I am no expert on this, so would welcome anyone else's input. As for dealer service - having every belt, fluid and filter changed on schedule has always been a positive for me as a buyer, so not sure why it wouldn't be for others. Robby said cam wear was fine and did not not replacement.

mech664: KBB is not much more than a starting point for TDI's, particularly for this club, from what I've seen. Good data point, which would be with used trans, no BSM.

A quick search of 04 and 05 Passat TDI Wagons on this forum finds:

05 125k $10k no BSM
05 100k $6k (current ebay bid, reserve at $10k) bad tranny no BSM
05 105k $12k no BSM
05 160k $11k no BSM

I get the feel when posting for advice on selling that I'm asking a bunch of potential buyers what they want to pay for my car. I was hoping to ask a bunch of fellow sellers and enthusiasts what they think it's worth on the open market as well.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
the people here are representive of the market, the fans. A 200k vehicle has market limitations for excitement, only the bold would stroke a ck for it. 2500 is probably not far off, considering it needs 4-5 grand shoved up the tailpipe.

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
where would the 4-5 grand go? I thought it just needed a $1500 transmission and $500 for installation.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Well the vast majority of people looking at used car values rely on KBB or similar for assessing a cars value, the vast majority also will not give a hoot about BSM, cam issues, etc, they just want to pay and drive.
The population of potential buyers that WILL give at least a hoot or two about BSM, etc is us. That instantly decreases your market from ALOT of people to not so many. And I do appreciate the value of the BSM and service records, no question they represent value and reassurance when considering purchasing a vehicle with over 200k mileage.
BUT
Hypothetical situation; If you spend $2200 on trans, I'm guessing here but you probably won't sell for less then 6k; I buy for 6k and drop $800 on cam/lifters; 2 months later car gets totaled; If I'm really lucky the insurance company will pay out $4500. Not likely that new BSM or cam will carry much weight with them.
I hope you can unload it without eating a huge pile of cash, that circumstance is unfortunate and basically sucks bigtime. Best of luck!

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
It will bring what the market will bear.
Put it on autotrader.com with photos and see what will happen.

My .02 is as follows ----

1. People will be a bit nervous of such a high mile car.

2. Too many mechanical unknowns and no warranty or guarantee on the car.

3. Banks and credit unions will more than likely NOT finance $ on this car.
4. Needs a transmission

FEW people want to buy a mechanical issue. You will most likely need a transmisison and the car working in order to sell it.

Advice--- Fix the car and drive it or Fix the car and sell it.
You will most likely lose money either way!

Good Luck!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Tow it to Zapata, park it at the Holiday Inn Express, leave the keys on the floor mat, leave the car open. Stay overnight in the HI Express and you will be smarter in the morning, plus, the car will be gone. Call your insurance company.

There is a good Mexican restaurant southwest of town in walking distance from the HI Ex.

(Just kidding, of course..:D)

Fix it, put it on eBay.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
buying a used trans it probably needs to have come out of a tdi as well as there are some differances, a gas trans may not work correctly. I have a 120k one you can have for 500 shipping probably 200.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Thare you go, a fellow TDI'er has a reasonably priced transmission for you.

I would take him up on the trans for $700 and put that in the car with fresh trans fluid and call it a day. I know you are soured by you experience and your wife is not happy. Nobody said life was easy!

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
Thare you go, a fellow TDI'er has a reasonably priced transmission for you.

I would take him up on the trans for $700 and put that in the car with fresh trans fluid and call it a day. I know you are soured by you experience and your wife is not happy. Nobody said life was easy!
...and if you do decide to take this course of action, and you keep the car as a driver, consider putting a new torque converter in while the transmission is out of the car. ...unless there is evidence the TC has been replaced.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
why doesn't anyone here like transmission work? I think it's as fun as it is lucrative.
If you've done zf's, 5hp 19 looks like no big deal.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
buying a used trans it probably needs to have come out of a tdi as well as there are some differances, a gas trans may not work correctly. I have a 120k one you can have for 500 shipping probably 200.
That's a generous offer TS. To the OP, take him up on his offer. You'll likely be "out the door" on this for less then $1200. Selling a non-working project car is a pain, I've been there. It seriously limits your market. You'll definitely get $1200+ more for the car in proper operating condition but if you put in a $3600 rebuilt trans, it debatable or IMHO rather unlikely you'll get your investment back- just my .02 cents.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
here is a pic of the acillies heel of the 5hp19 trans. I read also a guy who never worked on transmissions before replaced his sucessfully. drum D, the shiny parts you find in the pan.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
http://www.freddiestransmissions.com/html/zf_5hp19.html here is the part that blows apart and leaved the chunks in your trans pan. one guy who never did a trans before replaced his sucessfully. this apparently is the know weak part in your trans. Now everyone should upgrade to the new improved part.