Advance Auto conversation...

Spock-Mckoy

TDI
2002 Golf GL
I stopped in at the Advance Auto near my home to check on some parts for my Golf. It began with the usual question by the staff: year, make, model of my car. I described my Golf. The guy began with "don't you mean GTI". I said 'no, TDI'. He assured me that the Golf doesn't have a diesel in it, that VW didn't put a diesel in the Golf. I said it does, it is sitting outside your store. Then he went down the line of ideas: "Did you import it from Europe?", No, I didn't, but I hear the Germans designed it. "Somebody must have taken the diesel engine out of a Jetta and put it in your car", NO, they didn't. "are you sure it is a Golf?" Yes, I am. He showed me on his computer screen there is a Golf GTI. I said, "yes, but click on the one above it that just says "Golf". Now, look at the 1.9 L diesel......''What do you know, it is a TDI". Yes. Yes it is....... :rolleyes:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I swear, some of them will die of old age before they get a clue........
On a related note, have you heard the new Radio Shack Motto??
"You have questions? So do we!"
Bill
Yeah I see them walking around even when at work headphones ,in lost in their own little world while the real world leaves them behind. Some have their hats on sideways like they just couldn't figure out how to wear it, front wards, most people, backwards, cool , sideways? Stupid

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Amazing. Making fun of someone that works in a place that you should never buy Dub replacement parts from.

Most of the parts from places like Advance Auto Parts are Chinese garbage and in the long run will cost you more than buying quality parts.

The caliber of folks working there does match the quality of the parts they sell. If you don't believe me, buy one of their garbage re-man alternators and be amazed on how many times you will have to warranty it.

Let's see, OEM alternator, 200K mile+ life. Garbage re-man alternator, anywhere from dead out of the box to who knows..............

JakeS01234

TDI
2013 JSW, 2012 Touareg
I swear, some of them will die of old age before they get a clue........

On a related note, have you heard the new Radio Shack Motto??

"You have questions? So do we!"

Bill
I'm glad its not just me and the store I deal with that I have to push myself to go in to for stupid things in the wrong location.

I frequent an advance (order gaskets that's about it for whatever I'm.working on) and If I wasn't friendly with a few of the guys I would have never went back after my first visit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

BoB JSDubb

TDI
2011 JSW
Amazing. Making fun of someone that works in a place that you should never buy Dub replacement parts from.

Most of the parts from places like Advance Auto Parts are Chinese garbage and in the long run will cost you more than buying quality parts.

The caliber of folks working there does match the quality of the parts they sell. If you don't believe me, buy one of their garbage re-man alternators and be amazed on how many times you will have to warranty it.

Let's see, OEM alternator, 200K mile+ life. Garbage re-man alternator, anywhere from dead out of the box to who knows..............
Post of the day!

Although, keep in mind they sell Meguir's products and other things that are not vehicle specific. :)

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Also, walking in to an advance auto to buy parts is just plain stupid in itself. Coupons are available for up to 40% off advance auto online purchases. You can then walk into the store and pick it up, after you complete the online transaction.

I do generally agree that a lot of their stuff is junk but you can, for instance, get akebono ceramic brake pads this way, cheaper than just about anywhere else.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Post of the day!

Although, keep in mind they sell Meguir's products and other things that are not vehicle specific. :)
Candy bars and car wash products from places like that are great, but if you want quality parts for a Dub, forget about it.

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
They are the only place in town that has diesel purge, otherwise I'd be gettin your parts form vendors on this forum, their prices are as good as quality parts get, plus they know what they are doing and can even provide advice and info on the work you are doing. Not to mention the help to make this forum possible. For example I order parts from a nearby vendor in the morning and the parts are in the my dooryard by the next afternoon. These cars hate cheap parts :eek:)

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
There is only 1 guy at my local advance that knows cars, that's the one i talk to. I don't buy parts for my cars there, other than a light bulb or some wiper blades. In general, I prefer a car enthusiast to be working in a place like that. I don't mind if they plain admit that they do not know something. Nothing wrong with that, I don't know everything either.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Got my akebono pads from Advance also; it was a special order. I was in a bind with my left rear caliper, so I was lucky enough to get a ride to Advance; and they did have a reman in stock. The OEM bleeder threads were totally gone on my original. Don't get me started on Radio Shack. "DeOxit? How do you spell it?" The guy could not find it until he checked the computer.

Last edited:

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
I've been building LED lights for my cabin in the woods. Been buying battery boxes at RadioShack, I think they're convinced I'm building bombs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not to defend Advance, but we get questions regularly that stump us. Today I was asked if the transmission cooler and A/C condenser on a Liberty CRD are sold together or separately. I didn't have a clue.

And sometimes we laugh with each other about the things we're supposed to know: VIN splits in 2010 Jetta rear brake sets (ETKA is vague on this topic), the sequence of glow plug recalls on BEWs, How to find TDC in an engine on a stand without its flywheel. I got all of these this afternoon. Honestly, it's what makes the job fun.

joshattack

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf auto
That used to happen all the time at my local Advanced in Pittsburgh too, I think they know me now. By any chance was is it the one in Penn Circle/East Liberty?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
If I'm in a pinch and they have a part in stock,I'll get it to get myself back on road until I can get a better part AND wait for shipping. I'm giving up on the right rear calipers from Advance-the e-brake lever is beginning to not function again on the caliper(this is second rebuilt one),but the smaller alternator I got in 2013 is still going(I did keep the oem alternator,and put a new part in it).